Pattaya's golden times are over: Bar and salon owner packing up as uncertain future looms

webfact

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

I recall meeting one of Pattaya's wealthy expats who owns a gogo bar (plus property company and other investments) in Walking Street area.  He boasted easy 50,000 Baht per night profit alone, and he had maybe 20 or more girls to pay nightly.  So wondering if lady in article could be making that much before profit?    

No. A good gogo makes big money. A barbeer in a grotty bar area does not. She might have made more money doing the girl's hair, but even that doesn't add up to what she said. She probably made that one time when the US navy was in town, but hardly all the time- low season?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No. A good gogo makes big money. A barbeer in a grotty bar area does not. She might have made more money doing the girl's hair, but even that doesn't add up to what she said. She probably made that one time when the US navy was in town, but hardly all the time- low season?

I disagree, i would say a good bar beer ( as you like to call them ) make more more than a good gogo.

Some of the bar beers ( as you like to call them ) are open almost 24/7 ( or were ) and there's always people in them, they have much much lower overheads, rents and girls salaries and electric bills etc than what a gogo would.

The top one or two gogos only make big money ( or used to ).

19 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I disagree, i would say a good bar beer ( as you like to call them ) make more more than a good gogo.

The bar beer ( and that is the correct name for an outside Pattaya bar ) in the OP is in a grotty area and can't possibly be a good one because none of them in that dump were "good".

On 4/29/2020 at 10:59 AM, Pungdo said:

I suspect it was more like 4,000-5,000 per day, my wife struggles with 1,000's and 10,000's mixes them up all the time.

It also appears some of the people responding on here have a problem differentiating between turnover, gross and net. 
As my wife also does, and she has a ‘Business studies’ degree!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaLa said:

It also appears some of the people responding on here have a problem differentiating between turnover, gross and net. 

Yes, i have a friends who's wife has a market stall, if she sells 1000 baht of items a day she thinks she's made a 1000baht profit, absolutely nothing like going to BKK to buy stock / rent / electric etc taken into account.

Majority of them think like this, they just don't get it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes, i have a friends who's wife has a market stall, if she sells 1000 baht of items a day she thinks she's made a 1000baht profit, absolutely nothing like going to BKK to buy stock / rent / electric etc taken into account.

Majority of them think like this, they just don't get it.

I try to avoid generalising but that is perfectly true. Evidence from several friends whose wives set up/were set up in businesses and thought that any cash in their pockets was profit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I try to avoid generalising but that is perfectly true. Evidence from several friends whose wives set up/were set up in businesses and thought that any cash in their pockets was profit.

But it is 100% profit that's the point they never paid for the stock in the first place just rinse and repeat every time good ole hubby will pay.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:11 AM, DaLa said:

When the farang buys the business and pays the rent,  buys all the stock, pays the staff salaries, and pays for all the other overheads, then yes, whatever the Thai girls sells is all profit.  ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

No, i don't visit them coz most of them stink and i get pestered by fat burds that annoy me.

Yet. you say they are more profitable than gogo bars.   ????

• Like 2