Pattaya's golden times are over: Bar and salon owner packing up as uncertain future looms

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thongjan told Thai PBS that she used to rake in 40-50,000 baht a day during her 12 noon -12 midnight opening hours This was more than enough to cover the 100,000 baht monthly rent and salaries for around ten employees

LOL, "used to" was the months of December and January back in 2012 only.

Owners charging these exorbitant rents are the ones really losing out now and in the future.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

for 15 years and ran a hairdressing salon within sight of Walking Street for a dozen years.

For four of those years she also ran a bar out of the same premises

A hair salon and a bar?, interesting concept I have not seen.  Or was it just the hair salon with 10 employees bringing in 40,000 a day. 

33 minutes ago, sungod said:

Tend to agree, will be no shortage of premises available at lower rates in the future.

Hopefully some will be torn down.  Too many dilapidated, unsafe buildings on Beach road, WS, and second road

17 minutes ago, Susco said:

I only can hope you're not an accountant.

Just one advice from me.....don't give up the day job

No I'm not an accountant, but know enough to know she wasn't bringing home a million monthly lol. She's the one claiming she made 50k a day, so I just played out the scenario. I doubt she ever made that, but if she did then the expenses would also have to reflect that, leaving her with far less than a million a month, more likely less than 50k.

Edited by HOAX

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Got to love how they interview ONE "bar owner" and then decide that the same thing applies to every other bar owner in the city.

There was another story not long ago, not sure if the same outlet or not, but the same theme. Interview one person and then proclaim that everyone else must be the same as that person.

Note that a lot of businesses on Walking Street were having problems long before the virus and lockdown. For years, TAT has been promoting Chinese and Indians to come here over the "Western" tourists that used to be the mainstay. The result has been, lots of people on the streets, not so many in the bars, restaurants, shops or other businesses. A few places still do OK, but a lot have been hurting for years now.

None of my (bar or restaurant) owner friends have said anything about selling their businesses (which are on the "water" side of Walking Street). I'm sure they probably aren't paying the same rent as they would when everything was open and they've sent all their staff home - probably without salary as well - so I'd suspect they aren't losing money right now, just not making any.

Don't think many the same as her.....making 50k a day....divide that by 10 is more like it

13 minutes ago, mighty said:

so you know the details of this particular business do you? how about electric, cost of goods (Beer isn't free) just another bar stool financial expert.

The owner quoted 100k a month for rent and staff...she's either telling porkies or has a bad gambling habit

• Thanks 1

This virus has helped educate people to save when times are good and not fritter their money away.

Those who saved are fine.

It is not difficult.

I am sure there are some who genuinely need help, but they are few.

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Now should be a good time for the local council and state officials to go and remove the buildings illegally built over the beach.  Bet it will never happen !

Already underway at start of Walking St.....Beer Bars demolished

6 hours ago, JAG said:

She is not saying that she is skint is she? She has decided to close her business. However profitable it may have been, it won't be now, nor for the foreseeable future. So she has closed it.

It's a pic from the bars just before walking Street the ones you walk through to get the beer garden,it's been gutted and according to the owner of the BG Pattaya Pete it's going to be remodeled.She didn't close her business here landlord did.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Keep on running the lock down and you will see crowds in the streets

The could end the lock down tomorrow, what good do you think that is going to do?  Do you expect all businesses to open up and run at a loss for the next 12 to 18 months?  

Many will remain closed, and some will open up and try to survive, but many of them will fold in a couple of months.  There will be no tourism here for the foreseeable future.  

Lock down or mass closures equals the same result for the Pattaya economy, and its Thai inhabitants, and that is no employment, which means no money.  

Edited by Leaver

3 hours ago, mighty said:

so you know the details of this particular business do you? how about electric, cost of goods (Beer isn't free) just another bar stool financial expert.

Idiotic remark!

I am not a bar stool financial expert and don't claim to be.

All I said is that with a turnover of over a million a month, she must have been able to save a lot. Yes, there are many expenses involved.