Pattaya's golden times are over: Bar and salon owner packing up as uncertain future looms

webfact

Wonderful opportunity for Pattaya's ruling junta to fulfil their vision of turning Sin City into a family resort. Once, that is, they've found a way to stop the beach from eroding into a sea with all the watersports appeal of an open sewer.

• Haha 1

Just now, Leaver said:

I have no doubt some will.  

I have no doubt "some" will either, just as I have no doubt the social divide will grow even more in Thailand this year when the rich get richer by snapping up the choice lots, but the Chinese are not going to buy all as the OP stated!

8 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Not a bad little profit 1,300,000 a month less operating expenses.

say 1 million a month profit after expenses. 12 million a year x 4 years + 48 million baht. She should have enough to see her out.

save for a rainy day comes to mind.....but they not do in Thailand DO THEY???

15 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Maybe locals will understand how foreigners living here are precious ❤️

I hope they remain judgemental! deciding on the individual as there are some real Dick's here full of their own self worth! ????

9 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

All of these failed business will be snapped up by the Chinese. 

For a fraction of what they would of sold for pre Chinese virus.

Part of their over all plan more than likely. Those guys are inscrutable for sure.

• Like 1

after government and police respectively has taken their unfair share,

who knows what her profit was, also she named the top earning months,

this fluctuates wildly.

there is no turn in sight, she made a good decision and

had it set up so she could quit by her own account

Edited by brokenbone

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Do you honestly think Thailand's tourist industry will resume at the end of the Thai lockdown period?the rest of the world  remains in lockdown, airlines not flying,and the West in recession be a while.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I know that several countries are easing restrictions already.

Most of the restrictions issued were also actually a panic reaction, and can be removed as quickly as they were put in place.

The crisis is still young, and much has still to be uncovered.

If the airlines will fly again soon is to be seen but in the west, especially in Europe,  people have savings and get currently get compensated for sitting at home, so if the planes fly they will come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I have no doubt "some" will either, just as I have no doubt the social divide will grow even more in Thailand this year when the rich get richer by snapping up the choice lots, but the Chinese are not going to buy all as the OP stated!

No, the Chinese will not do to Pattaya like they did to Sihanoukville, but for sure the Chinese will buy some establishments.  Perhaps, some well known establishments.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Most of the restrictions issued were also actually a panic reaction, and can be removed as quickly as they were put in place.

I think you will find international travel is not one of the restrictions that can be / will be lifted soon, and if it was, there may be a 2 week forced quarantine upon returning. 

Would you want to be detained for 2 weeks, just for having a 2 week holiday in Thailand?   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Not a bad little profit 1,300,000 a month less operating expenses.

say 1 million a month profit after expenses. 12 million a year x 4 years + 48 million baht. She should have enough to see her out.

your calculation is incorrect.
First of all the rent, which is likely to be 200.000 baht a month
The bar ladies do get 30-50% of the turnover in drinks, so lets say 400.000 bath.
Pay the police another 100.000 thb at least
The purchase of the liquor itself 25% , so about 300000 thb.
My guess is she takes home between 200k and 300K a month.
She will have to pay off her new car, her house, her life insurance and so on. 80 K
Ok, so left 150K a month

how long is this gonna take. the only way to save money is to stop now and indeed perhaps restart in a few years, after the market has recovered.