Audio Advice Needed

dddave

Most of my internet browsing and YT music listening is done using a Win 10 Intel NUC mini pc and a Ben-Q 27" monitor.  The monitor has speakers but the sound is weak and thin.  Music is really no fun to listen to. akin to a cheap transistor radio.

I'd like to find an auxillary speaker that is amplified, fairly compact and not more than B10,000.  I know nothing about "Smart Speakers".  Would one or a pair of those be decent?  Perhaps a soundbar not more than 30" long?

Most of the BT speakers I see for sale in Thailand appear to be knock-off's of well known brands:  JBL, Bose, Sony, ect.  Any suggestions for genuine good BT speakers?

Have a look at some of the offerings on this webpage... you should be able to find something to suit your budget there.

I have a simple 2.1 Creative speaker system similar to this... and it is more than adequate for my simple needs.

/Edit: There are a couple of vendors on Lazada that have that particular product... all within your budget. See here.

Edited by Jai Dee
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Have a look at some of the offerings on this webpage... you should be able to find something to suit your budget there.

I have a simple 2.1 Creative speaker system similar to this... and it is more than adequate for my simple needs.

/Edit: There are a couple of vendors on Lazada that have that particular product... all within your budget. See here.

Thanks Jai Dee.  Unfortunately, your links didn't post.  Could you try again?

Another alternative are bluetooth speakers like these (not knock-offs).

I also have a couple of these and they can be daisy chained together from the same bluetooth audio source (phone or tablet) which is great for outdoor areas.

Another obvious added advantage of bluetooth speakers over hard-wired is of course portability.

But I personally prefer the fuller sound of the hard-wired Creative speaker system... even at low volume. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Another alternative are bluetooth speakers like these (not knock-offs).

I also have a couple of these and they can be daisy chained together from the same bluetooth audio source (phone or tablet) which is great for outdoor areas.

Another obvious added advantage of bluetooth speakers over hard-wired is of course portability.

But I personally prefer the fuller sound of the hard-wired Creative speaker system... even at low volume. 

Those are great speakers and super value at 300 baht ish each, nice sound for the money.

Try to get speakers which you can add onto your TV, then mute the built-in ones. Your TV remote should work on the extras and the telly sound will be better.. Go from the mini jack of your NUC into an aux input on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Forgot a zero Charlie... 3,000 baht ish each! :wink:

No mate that's what I paid for mine on lazada, clearly not the same quality etc as you were talking but amazing sound for cheap money for the PC.

Like this............

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bluetooth-tg117-soundbar-mini-portable-wireless-speaker-i768038294-s1499172550.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.15.1c811ae5SFCI6R&search=1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

I'd like to find an auxillary speaker that is amplified, fairly compact and not more than B10,000.  I know nothing about "Smart Speakers".  Would one or a pair of those be decent?  Perhaps a soundbar not more than 30" long?

look into something like these, or any other reputable brand powered speaker, they will blow stuff like creative or any of the computer accessory stuff out of the water.

Dayton Audio MK402BTX Powered Bluetooth 4 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair with 3.5mm Aux In

available on lazada, for sub 7k, alas there is a thai markup involved

Edited by n00dle

I would be looking at ( check Lazada ) Edifier , or if you are willing to have amp at Q-acoustics or similar , together with small amp . All of them very well available under 10k ( even with amp ) and small . You might be surprised of the sound you can get for 10k . In fact , the battery powered JBL / Marshall .... bluetooth speakers also have a very acceptable sound .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sezze said:

I would be looking at ( check Lazada ) Edifier , or if you are willing to have amp at Q-acoustics or similar , together with small amp . All of them very well available under 10k ( even with amp ) and small . You might be surprised of the sound you can get for 10k . In fact , the battery powered JBL / Marshall .... bluetooth speakers also have a very acceptable sound .

We have a JBL Flip BT speaker from Lazada,,,,,,,,about 3K baht. Very flexible and easy to use. Great sound for a decent price. No cables and holds a charge for hours.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:19 PM, CharlieH said:

No mate that's what I paid for mine on lazada, clearly not the same quality etc as you were talking but amazing sound for cheap money for the PC.

Like this............

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bluetooth-tg117-soundbar-mini-portable-wireless-speaker-i768038294-s1499172550.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.15.1c811ae5SFCI6R&search=1

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I decided to try the "Creative" hard wired speakers.  B220 for the pair from Banana IT.  How can I go wrong at that price.  If I don't like them, I'm only out the price of a hamburger.

I'll post a review when I get them.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, dddave said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I decided to try the "Creative" hard wired speakers.  B220 for the pair from Banana IT.  How can I go wrong at that price.  If I don't like them, I'm only out the price of a hamburger.

I'll post a review when I get them.

Just to follow-up, my speakers arrived today (Bangkok), 2 days after ordering from Banana.  The brand/model is "Genius SP-HF160", not "Creative" as I initially thought. B220/pair.

They are wired, not BT, about 5" X 3 1/2" X 3", Made of composition board.  They are powered by USB, no AC cord provided.  2 watts X 2 Watts   

For B220, I wasn't expecting much but have been pleasantly surprised.  Not big sound to be sure but volume is more than sufficient and surprisingly balanced.  Decent highs, good midrange and enough of a hint of base to know it's there.  I just listened to a classical string concerto and it was rich, full and distinct with no distortion played at 3/4 of full volume.  

They are a dramatic improvement over the monitor speakers and exceed my expectations.

• Like 1