Panasonic Tankless Water Heater Issues

AAArdvark

I have a small, 10 year old, Panasonic tankless water heater (DH-6GM3).  It has 3 settings High, Medium and Low.  If I set it to either high or Medium it will work for a few minutes but then there will only be cold water.  Setting at low seems to work for ever.  The heater takes care of the kitchen sink and the shower.  The low setting only gives me warm water with low pressure since I cannot set it to mix with the cold without overwhelming the warm,

The main circuit breaker does not trip.  However, inside there is a brass colored, soup can sized thing with what looks like high voltage wires going into it.  There are two 1 cm black things with white tips on top (maybe thermal sensors).  I have to carefully depress these to reset the condition.  I cannot seem to find a legitimate manual on the heater.

Any ideas on what can be causing this issue and how long do these heaters last?

20 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I have a small, 10 year old

Yup, probably lived its life.  If you have the lime scale like most, almost nothing lasts when that builds up.

Edited by bankruatsteve

Welcome to multipoint on demand heaters - have never seen one that worked right (hotels/hospitals).  It appears you are not using enough water at the higher settings and overheating tripping the breakers.  Do you have a water pump?  Believe low pressure is often an issue.  Heaters themselves often last a very long time.  Is there a screen filter on water input to the heater by chance?  They do need cleaning occasionally to allow good water flow.

• Like 1

Do you have access to the inlet and outlet hoses? Buy a large bottle of vinegar (BigC etc,) pour it in until it comes out the other end and leave for a while, rinse and repeat. 

That will "de-fur" the element.

Q. Have you cleaned the inlet filter? 

Thanks all.  That all makes sense.  I have nothing to measure my water pressure but cold water appears to be normal by feel.  I can see where the water comes in and goes out of the heater but, unfortunately, I cannot see a shutoff.  I live in a condo.  The condo maintenance guys say, when I asked fix or replace, that "it needs parts".  Even if I knew what the parts were, there are no hardware places anywhere near me due to lock down measures.

I found an exact replacement on Lazarda for $150.00.  Right now I am leaning towards replacing and letting the condo maintenance people do the work. If they do it, I will make sure they show me where to shut off the water and power so that I can do cleaning once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it can also be a part of that plastic housing and turn of knob in bottom photo counter clockwise will likely release it as part of that knob.  Some have a set screw on side that has to be removed first but do not believe that is the case above.

If you have had 10 years life out of it I think you have been very lucky.  We bought a Stiebel multipoint about 2 years ago which has packed up. Our condo engineers team disconnected it from power and water and it is currently with  a large repair place in Chiang Mai awaiting parts from Bangkok. we are told a 1900 bill is likely.

You could get yours repaired but I would call it quits and buy new, and be prepared for multipoint costing signficantly more than a shower type heater. I think we paid about 7k.

Have you tried googling Panasonic water heaters Thailand,high chance they have techies in your area who can come test the machine,give you a repair cost and possibly repair the unit there and then,I had a problem with one of my units several days ago,tech man come tested it,yep pressure switch kaput,800 bht replaced faulty part all good now.

6 minutes ago, beau thai said:

If you have had 10 years life out of it I think you have been very lucky.  We bought a Stiebel multipoint about 2 years ago which has packed up. Our condo engineers team disconnected it from power and water and it is currently with  a large repair place in Chiang Mai awaiting parts from Bangkok. we are told a 1900 bill is likely.

You could get yours repaired but I would call it quits and buy new, and be prepared for multipoint costing signficantly more than a shower type heater. I think we paid about 7k.

i have a seimens here in my bangkok house which i suspect is going on strong over 30 years. I have been using it since i moved in 15 years ago. it produces scalding water.

there is a stamped etching in the carport that suggests the house or at least carport was built in 2509.  and i suspect it may even be original, which would make it older than i am.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, AAArdvark said:

Thanks all.  That all makes sense.  I have nothing to measure my water pressure but cold water appears to be normal by feel.  I can see where the water comes in and goes out of the heater but, unfortunately, I cannot see a shutoff.  I live in a condo.  The condo maintenance guys say, when I asked fix or replace, that "it needs parts".  Even if I knew what the parts were, there are no hardware places anywhere near me due to lock down measures.

I found an exact replacement on Lazarda for $150.00.  Right now I am leaning towards replacing and letting the condo maintenance people do the work. If they do it, I will make sure they show me where to shut off the water and power so that I can do cleaning once in a while.

If you buy one in a shop they might install it for free. 

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it can also be a part of that plastic housing and turn of knob in bottom photo counter clockwise will likely release it as part of that knob.  Some have a set screw on side that has to be removed first but do not believe that is the case above.

The picture on the bottom has a knob and a screw.  I cannot turn the knob, at least by hand.  The screw turns but I am hesitant to do so since "I" do not have access to the water supply as it is controlled by the condo.

If it is reasonable to assume that the filter is under the screw or that the screw stops the knob from turning, I will get the condo to turn off my water.

12 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

The picture on the bottom has a knob and a screw.  I cannot turn the knob, at least by hand.  The screw turns but I am hesitant to do so since "I" do not have access to the water supply as it is controlled by the condo.

If it is reasonable to assume that the filter is under the screw or that the screw stops the knob from turning, I will get the condo to turn off my water.

You show a normal flex hose feeding that - isn't there a shut off valve on the other end of the flex hose?  Agree you do not want to flood out so if not best to wait.  

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You show a normal flex hose feeding that - isn't there a shut off valve on the other end of the flex hose?  Agree you do not want to flood out so if not best to wait.  

No/yes.  The toilet has a shut off.  The kitchen sink has a shut off.  Everything else goes into the wall and comes out in some external place controlled by the condo people.  it is possible the knob is a shut off but it does not turn and being plastic i don't what to force it.

I was wondering if the set screw that you mentioned, is the plastic screw in the center of the knob?  If I know what the knob and screw actually do, I can get the condo people to shut off the water long enough for me to clean any filter that I find.  

I have contacted Panasonic for a manual but there is no response yet.  There are a couple of places online that claim to have the manual but they appear to be scams since what me to sign up and give personal information.

Edited by AAArdvark

Looking online it says that model has a built in water filter with pressure relief valve. Is that what we are looking at ? Could the screw be to adjust the pressure relief setting ??

Irrelevant if you can't shut off the water to the unit though I guess...

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Looking online it says that model has a built in water filter with pressure relief valve. Is that what we are looking at ? Could the screw be to adjust the pressure relief setting ??

Irrelevant if you can't shut off the water to the unit though I guess...

In the upper right of the 2nd picture there is a small black piece on top of the copper heater.  In a larger picture it looks likely to be a water pressure release valve.  Also, I doubt they would want the consumer to adjust that because of safety concerns.

Just curious as I went to a mates condo the other day and in the bathroom is what looks like a cabinet in the bathroom is actually a door to the service shaft behind the bathroom wall. Where the isolation valves were because I had a peak.

21 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I was wondering if the set screw that you mentioned, is the plastic screw in the center of the knob? 

No what I have seen were on side of plastic flow control knob which would allow the knob to be removed to access the filter.  Photo appears to have slots as if you insert a one baht coin to turn (no need to remove screw) for whatever it is intended for.

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just curious as I went to a mates condo the other day and in the bathroom is what looks like a cabinet in the bathroom is actually a door to the service shaft behind the bathroom wall. Where the isolation valves were because I had a peak.

Understood but there is no such place in my condo which I was accustomed.  Also, the maintenance people for the condo confirmed this to me.  It is like my electric.  When ever there is a power outage, the generator kicks in.  However. each condo resident has to manually switch to a different low power circuit breaker until main power is restored.  I guess it was cheaper than buying a bigger generator.  

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No what I have seen were on side of plastic flow control knob which would allow the knob to be removed to access the filter.  Photo appears to have slots as if you insert a one baht coin to turn (no need to remove screw) for whatever it is intended for.

I turned it with a screw driver but I got scared and turned it back.  I thought one baht was an expensive pieces of gold as I recently found out????

Can you fit the flex hose directly to the water heater?  That would rule out filter if still not work right and not have to risk breaking the plastic.  If it did correct operation you could then disassemble the plastic on your own time and clean replace later.  If have to wait a week or two should not be any problem (break and need to buy a new filter).

I can virtually guarante that there is a filter either above or under the very white pressure control unit on the right (walm/cool control). It will be at mains pressure under and a bit less on top.

Get maintenance to shut your water off, the top screw should be hand tight, try that one first. Have some silicon grease (you probably don't have any so use Vaseline) a little on the rubber O rings and filter make a watertight fit easy.  Do check the metal to plastic junction as there could be a filter there as well.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

There are no shops currently open in my area that can sell or maintain my heater.

On the weekend the shopping malls and therefore many shops might be allowed to open. What I don't understand that it is not possible to switch the water off at your condo by yourself. If this is my condo this would be the first thing I would change. I had several problems with broken pipes and hoses in the condo. If I did not switch off the water immediately the damage would have been severe. Also when I stay away for a longer time the water is switched off. 

15 minutes ago, Oldie said:

f this is my condo this would be the first thing I would change

I'm not the owner and someone with superior intelligence then us decided to do it that way.

11 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I'm not the owner and someone with superior intelligence then us decided to do it that way.

If you are not the owner why do you want to fix the water heater. The owner is responsible. Or why do you want to fix it? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you are not the owner why do you want to fix the water heater. The owner is responsible. Or why do you want to fix it? 

A brilliant idea except who needs it fixed? The owner or the tenant?  

Best idea is to get a quote and tell the owner that you will be getting this repaired/fixed and an estimate is xxxx and that you will be deducting it from the next rent payment. What do they wish to do? 

With some owners Lucifer will be skating before they do anything.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

A brilliant idea except who needs it fixed? The owner or the tenant?  

Best idea is to get a quote and tell the owner that you will be getting this repaired/fixed and an estimate is xxxx and that you will be deducting it from the next rent payment. What do they wish to do? 

With some owners Lucifer will be skating before they do anything.

This is not that simple. As tenant he is not the owner of the water heater and he cannot do anything without the approval of the owner - this is the legal point of view.