BANGKOK
teacherclaire

Can an agency create a contract that goes against Thai law?

Hello teachers,

I could work for an agency, but after reading their contract, I was wondering if that's legal.

1. Neither sick leave days, nor business days.

2. No Thai social security, no other insurance provided.

3. If I'd be sick on a Friday, or a Monday, they wouldn't pay for the weekend before or after. 

4. Starting salary for a native speaker with a degree is 2 K more than a non native speaker without a degree would receive.

5. If the borders reopen and I leave Thailand, I have to pay out of my own pocket and won't receive a salary.

I do not know how teaching in Thailand really is, but I've done some voluntary teaching. 

Is such a contract really binding? 

• Sad 1

Without a work permit you would be illegal and they would risk 100,000 b fine. But in essence you get no protection  working illegally.  The fact that non native speakers are paid almost the same shows you they are only interested in the money. However all schools of all types are currently closed and that includes language schools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, uncleP said:

Without a work permit you would be illegal and they would risk 100,000 b fine. But in essence you get no protection  working illegally.  The fact that non native speakers are paid almost the same shows you they are only interested in the money. However all schools of all types are currently closed and that includes language schools.

I have two degrees and would even receive a teacher's license.

I'd never work without a work permit, but I've heard that certain agencies let foreigners work on tourist visas.

I understand that it's all about money and I hope that certain agencies are soon out of business and hire directly.

• Like 1

The title of your thread is an answer in itself.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Anything in a contract that is illegal makes that part of the contract null and void.

I have a friend who worked for a well-known agency from Bangkok that ends with a C. 

I have enough information from people I do not know well enough to trust them, so I was hoping to learn some about these agencies that suc_. 

When I've read the contract she's signed, I had the feeling to throw up.

She told me that she had to work with pedos and other weird people that made the daily teaching a nightmare.

The agency created a "teacher's profile" for the school, and all their foreign employees were top of the notch educated employees.

The truth was different. Plumber helpers became highly experienced English teachers, and even those from an English speaking country had no idea about grammar, sentence structure, or any psychological knowledge about kids. 

Then I had to realize that precisely these people who are so weak in their language and often complicated to understand were the ones who complained about the Thai English teachers' and non-native English speakers' skills. 

Do not throw with stones when sitting in a glasshouse is my advice for them. 

Edited by teacherclaire

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The title of your thread is an answer in itself.

Fair. If you don't like to discuss it without giving me any advice I'll not be able to pull a good friend out of an insane situation, which was also the reason for my post. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

I have a friend who worked for w well-known agency from Bangkok.

When I've read the contract she's signed, I had the feeling to throw up.

She told me that she had to work with pedos and other weird people that made the daily teaching a nightmare.

The agency created a "Teacher's profile" for the school, and all their foreign employees were top of the notch educated employees.

The truth was different. Plumber helpers became English teachers, and even those from an English speaking country had no idea about grammar, sentence structure, or any psychological knowledge of kids. 

Then I had to realize that exactly these people who are so weak in their language and often very difficult to understand where the ones who complained about the Thai English teachers'  and non-native English speakers' skills. 

Do not throw with stones when sitting in a glasshouse is my advice for them. 

I would suspect Thai employment protection laws are almost non-existent and any that do exist are designed to be interpreted to the benefit of the employer. Easy for me to say, but I would walk. There must be other opportunities that provide better employment. Nothing will change so the choice is stay or leave.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I would suspect Thai employment protection laws are almost non-existent and any that do exist are designed to be interpreted to the benefit of the employer. Easy for me to say, but I would walk. There must be other opportunities that provide better employment. Nothing will change so the choice is stay or leave.

Thanks for your time. I'd never ever sign a contract with such an agency. i can easily get a job working directly for a school with all the goodies that come with it.

I'm only trying to help a friend who's less qualified on paper. Her English isn't bad, but she doesn't have a TL and she's worked for a couple of years and the waivers are used up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

you would suspect very, very wrong, i certainly hope you arent giving anyone advice.

thai employment law is very much in favour of the workers and i know of no one without a justified dispute who has not won significant compensation for an employer breach

Thank you very much. From what I know, it's usually in favour of the employee. 

8 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Thanks for your time. I'd never ever sign a contract with such an agency. i can easily get a job working directly for a school with all the goodies that come with it.

I'm only trying to help a friend who's less qualified on paper. Her English isn't bad, but she doesn't have a TL and she's worked for a couple of years and the waivers are used up.

who has said her waivers are up? I know of teachers having 5 different waivers in a 5 year period

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Is such a contract really binding? 

only if you accept it ..... anybody can write whatever they want in a contract but the person receiving such contract  doesn't have to agree and accept

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

who has said her waivers are up? I know of teachers having 5 different waivers in a 5 year period

She had four already and wants to get away from the agency.