Is malaysian border open now or when mys MCO lifted?

Tees75

hi Southern forum

did some research but found nothing. am a foreigner with long term visa who wants to exit via border with malaysia when MCO in malaysia is lifted May 12. Cannot fly out of Thailand due to extension. any latest news on Malaysian border?? thanks

As you say Malaysia extended its Movement Control Order (MCO) from April 28th until 12th May. So the southern Thai border remains closed.

Under the MCO no foreign nationals can enter Malaysia except those with diplomatic passports, those who have Permanent Residence or those who are an “expatriate in an essential service”. Even then those that can enter are obliged to go into quarantine for 14 days at a centre designated by the government, and charged a minimum of RM150 per day for the privilege.

Whether they lift the restriction on May 12th or extend again is anyone's guess.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, phuketsub said:

...after which time Hat Yai will be hit by a tsunami of smuggled spirits. 

Much to my annoyance, there is a safe house for smuggled ciggys next to my place - Smuggling is still alive and well, they have been busy through the pandemic. I guess the demand for 10B poison sticks is quite high at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Malaysia has announced a change from conditional movement control order (MCO) to recovery movement control order from Wednesday. 

The new MCO will run from June 10 until Aug 31, whilst it allows for interstate travel, overseas travel is still not permitted, and the country’s borders remain shut.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:39 AM, Vigilante said:

Anyone knows from where and how this contraband arrives here?

Just curious because it's been around for many years irrespective of govts and crackdowns

Because the country and the people who enforce any law, despite their rules for us are rotten to the core.

I don’t understand the profit margins, A packet of fake cigarettes is like 15 or 20b .. how is possible to manufacture and ship from Indonesia and still turn a profit. The low quality petrol sold in bottles, the same.