Screensaver inhibited on TVF

bluesofa

I leave my browser (Firefox) running all the time, with ten or so tabs constantly open. Only one, perhaps two, are ThaiVisa pages.

For the past month or so I've noticed that when I leave a TVF tab as the displayed page, it prevents the screensaver starting.

If I have another website as the page being displayed, the screensaver kicks in OK, despite TVF being open in another tab.

I don't know why this is though, what has changed with the TVF pages?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:
5 minutes ago, tifino said:

maybe it has something against an all-black popup?

Err? I'm lost.

I choose a black screen for when the timeout happens ... ????  

- which btw happens okay on Brave 

It's possible, that the TVF pages you're leaving open are receiving Notifications. They may be seen as screen activity therefore keeping the screen active.

Try either

Leaving it open on a TVF page with no notifications (maybe an old followed thread that nobody is updating any more)

or

Turning your Notifications OFF, then leaving it as you do now - easiest way would be to go to your Notification settings, make careful note of how they're currently set, then switch 'em all off.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

It's possible, that the TVF pages you're leaving open are receiving Notifications. They may be seen as screen activity therefore keeping the screen active.

Try either

Leaving it open on a TVF page with no notifications (maybe an old followed thread that nobody is updating any more)

or

Turning your Notifications OFF, then leaving it as you do now - easiest way would be to go to your Notification settings, make careful note of how they're currently set, then switch 'em all off.

I looked at my settings:

Notification Settings

Browser notifications enabled
Your browser has enabled desktop notifications, allowing us to tell you when there's new content even if you aren't active in this window.

Went into Firefox and blocked notifications from TVF. Updated my TVF account and it said "Browser notifications disabled"

The screensaver is still inhibited though.

In the past, when they were enabled the screensaver worked fine.

Is there some video content on the TVF pages somewhere that are perhaps causing this issue I wonder?

Edited by bluesofa

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I looked at my settings:

Notification Settings

Browser notifications enabled
Your browser has enabled desktop notifications, allowing us to tell you when there's new content even if you aren't active in this window.

Went into Firefox and blocked notifications from TVF. Updated my TVF account and it said "Browser notifications disabled"

The screensaver is still inhibited though.

Before they when they were enabled and the screensaver worked fine.

Is there some video content on the TVF pages somewhere that are perhaps causing this issue I wonder?

I don't think so but @Tech Doctor might be able to answer that better than I can.

Did you try disabling all the Notifications as I suggested?

I use Chrome, not Firefox which doesn't really help you, and I just did the same as you (left my browser open on this thread and 5 other tabs also open), with screensaver set to 2 minutes - it kicked in correctly.

You're quite sure it ONLY happens on TVF pages? I admit to being at a loss if that's the case

Edited by VBF

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

I don't think so but @Tech Doctor might be able to answer that better than I can.

I use Chrome, not Firefox and if I do the same as you (leave my browser open on a TVF tab), my screensaver kicks in correctly.

You're quite sure it ONLY happens on TVF pages? I admit to being at a loss if that's the case

Initially I only disabled browser notifications.

However, since you've just specifically asked me about all of them, I disabled them all to be sure. It still makes no difference.

Yes, definitely only on TVF pages. If I go to tabs with other websites (without closing the TVF tabs), the screensaver kicks in.

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps I'll try Tech Doctor tomorrow.

Just now, bluesofa said:

Initially I only disabled browser notifications.

However, since you've just specifically asked me about all of them, I disabled them all to be sure. It still makes no difference.

Yes, definitely only on TVF pages. If I go to tabs with other websites (without closing the TVF tabs), the screensaver kicks in.

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps I'll try Tech Doctor tomorrow.

I imagine he will see that I've mentioned him - one final thing i'd try: Do you run CCleaner or any similar cache/cookie clearing program?

Have you run it recently?

Just wondering if an errant Session Cookie is to blame - 'tis a long shot though!

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

I imagine he will see that I've mentioned him - one final thing i'd try: Do you run CCleaner or any similar cache/cookie clearing program?

Have you run it recently?

Just wondering if an errant Session Cookie is to blame - 'tis a long shot though!

I run Linux Mint. I seem to remember CCleaner's a Windows program.

I've just cleared all the cookies and also cached web content. No luck I'm afraid.

Just now, bluesofa said:

I run Linux Mint. I seem to remember CCleaner's a Windows program.

I've just cleared all the cookies and also cached web content. No luck I'm afraid.

Sorry - i made an assumption that you were on Windows - my bad!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Probably FF is seeing the Video Ad as an active video and inhibiting the screensaver / lockscreen.

You can test by closing all the ThaiVisa tabs and see if FF then times-out correctly as expected.  

He's effectively done better than that - see #10 - it's only when he's focussed on TVF tabs that the problem occurs.

8 minutes ago, VBF said:

He's effectively done better than that - see #10 - it's only when he's focussed on TVF tabs that the problem occurs.

Yea. His browser client is seeing the https://a.vdo.ai/core/thaivisa/vdo.ai.js?vdo=xxx element and interpreting it as an actual 'movie'. Though, thought browsers only inhibited screensaver / lockscreen timeout when in Full Screen mode.

The work-around, of course, is to not park on a ThaiVisa tab.

1 minute ago, RichCor said:

Yea. His browser client is seeing the https://a.vdo.ai/core/thaivisa/vdo.ai.js?vdo=xxx element and interpreting it as an actual 'movie'. Though, thought browsers only inhibited screensaver / lockscreen timeout when in Full Screen mode.

The work-around, of course, is to not park on a ThaiVisa tab.

True....but I think he wants to fix it, not have to remember to swap tabs - I know i'd be the same! Plus, if I can do it in Chrome, he should be able to do it in FF.

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Probably FF is seeing the Video Ad as an active video and inhibiting the screensaver / lockscreen.

You can test by closing all the ThaiVisa tabs and see if FF then times-out correctly as expected.  

This has long been an issue with xscreensaver on Ubuntu-based distributions. The default action is for xscreensaver to not come on for HTML5 videos, although it's supposed to apply only to full screen videos.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, VBF said:

I use Chrome, not Firefox which doesn't really help you, and I just did the same as you (left my browser open on this thread and 5 other tabs also open), with screensaver set to 2 minutes - it kicked in correctly.

I pm'ed Tech Doctor about ten days ago, but no reply.

I don't know if he's busy or if my issue is too minor?

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I pm'ed Tech Doctor about ten days ago, but no reply.

I don't know if he's busy or if my issue is too minor?

Maybe like many people at present, he's working from home or with limited resources - I really don't know.

I would give it another couple of weeks, then possibly politely remind him. There is an @Support Admin user.

Perhaps forward your PM there?

At least you do have a workaround pro tem, (#15) however unsatisfactory ???? 

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1