U.S. coronavirus outbreak soon to be deadlier than any flu since 1967 as deaths top 60,000

webfact

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Until you discover that you cannot board public transportation without a vaccine certificate, and your employer requires vaccination, and you cannot use a voting booth without a vaccine certificate.

I take "Things that never happened" for 500, please!

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

So the headline could also be written - "coronavirus not deadlier than flu".

And with improvements in detection methods, hardly a like for like comparison.

But... in such a short time...

I wish the Yanks much wisdom with such a genius as president ( and so many followers ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would seem that COVID-19 is 2-4X as lethal as the 'regular' flu. This is only through the first four months of the year and it's just getting started in India, Russia, and Africa.

The race is on to find a drug that is both effective and safe for treating COVID-19, which has spread to 3.1 million infections and caused 220,000 deaths worldwide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Vanity Fair has done a stunning study of how Trump has 'handled' (okay, I'm being generous today) the COVID-19 situation.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/donald-trump-jared-kushners-two-months-of-magical-thinking

Vanityfate:"Trump’s view of the situation was complicated, though. For weeks, his top medical advisers, Dr. Deborah Birx and Dr. Anthony Fauci, had been hectoring him about the seriousness of the crisis and the necessity of swift action, testing, lockdowns. “We knew from the beginning...we were going to get cases in the United States,” Fauci told me.

“We knew we were in for a very serious problem.”

Surely the liberals insane desire to blame the POTUS blow up when Fauci  cast his downplaying, Vanityfare isn't fare in their opinion or maybe they didn't know ,Fauci ,on Febuary 29th was still down playing this at the time,epedemic, by saying on coronavirus fears: No need to change lifestyle yet!

https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauci-on-coronavirus-fears-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

To be sure, the liberals talking points ,that the POTUS is to blame .shatter when  the guru of infectious disease ,the advisor to the POTUS  says,the Chinese weren't giving correct info early on ! 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Wrong.

sci·ence
/ˈsīəns/

noun
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Congratulations.  That is the correct answer for the 1st question on the 1st assignment in my 7th grade Science class this year! 

4 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Congratulations.  That is the correct answer for the 1st question on the 1st assignment in my 7th grade Science class this year! 

Says a lot about the person that needed the correction you quoted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

It would seem that COVID-19 is 2-4X as lethal as the 'regular' flu. This is only through the first four months of the year and it's just getting started in India, Russia, and Africa.

The race is on to find a drug that is both effective and safe for treating COVID-19, which has spread to 3.1 million infections and caused 220,000 deaths worldwide.

Yes it seems well worse although some bad flu seasons infect 5mill and can kill up to 650k globally. Will be interesting to see how much worse. I see valid points on both sides. Some say there is over reporting and some under reporting of deaths. Some sources say it mutates a lot, some say it doesn't. It's hard to know what to think. However bad it is, this global lockdown needs to gradually end by end of June (areas with severe epidemics left out of the mix) with some smart preventive measures or other really crazy things will start happening in addition to this.

Edited by vermin on arrival

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Correction on the numbers in my prior post since I could not reedit it.  Globally, 1 billion cases of the flu per year 3 to 5 million severe cases and up to 250 to 650k deaths. I was quite surprised by the number of severe cases and total cases, but was aware of the deaths. Will be interesting to see how much higher covid will be. Are you thinking death tolls in the millions?. : https://www.who.int/influenza/Global_Influenza_Strategy_2019_2030_Summary_English.pdf?ua=1

just do that math:  Vaccines will need to be given every year

Average revenue, worldwide, will be in the trillions and then medicine in the trillions as well.   

Who will make those pills?  China.  Who owns some of those companies?  It would be funny if those people were connected to the WHO

We are talking about tens of trillions of dollars.  

that is a fact.  and the only fact we know.  lol

14 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Another one that can't read. Cuomo is the governor of NY and the imbecile De Blasio is the Mayor of NYC. The dems were downplaying the virus even more than Trump was, that's a fact. 

And the flu in 2017-2018 killed more Americans than the entire conflict in the Middle East yet nobody made that stupid comparison. It was just another flu season. 

This one ain't over yet, can you understand that.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But but but the flu.

Unless you can find a parallel world in which there was no lockdown and social distancing response to the Coronavirus your line of argument is meaningless.

Coronavirus is a different disease to the flu, spreading under entirely different circumstances.

No it's not but but but the flu. I was just wondering how many more people that people think will be dying. Of course, you are right we can't find that parallel world and study it. I'm not arguing a point per se. I know it's a different disease.

Edited by vermin on arrival

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Excess deaths seems to be the best way of calculating as it gives a picture from previous years of all deaths and how many more there are this year. There are a few charts around on the excess deaths in the UK and US. Here's an article that explains better than me.

WITH few countries doing enough testing to identify anywhere near all the deaths caused by the coronavirus, looking at how many more people are dying than usual is a better way of assessing the pandemic’s effect.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632804-100-how-many-people-have-really-died-from-covid-19-so-far/#ixzz6L5GHLMV6

Not necessarily.  Several doctors have expressed concern about extra deaths being caused by people avoiding hospital visits for fear of catching COVID or because regular appointments have been cancelled - leading to earlier deaths from heart disease, cancer etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

And all the 'flu is just as bad' believers NEVER mention that they are comparing one years deaths to 2 months for Covid-19. The final death toll will be over 100,000 for the USA, and that is WITH all the quarantine and isolation efforts. Without? A lot higher. Hard to tell yet, because so many deaths/infections not known, but expect that in 2021 death statistics will rank this as worse than any flu year since the Spanish flu.

If everyone wore masks in public in and outdoors, used hand sanitizer and had temp checks regularly as a general policy maybe we wouldn't need as much quarantine and isolation? Of course, the mask issue is also up to debate. I think the success of the Asian countries is partly the cause of ubiquitous use of masks in public. Good tracking and testing is also necessary.

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is it such a big deal, 2% of the Americans that die EVERY year. Worth putting 26 million out of a job and costing $2 trillion.

The issue is this is happening in a short period of time and overwhelming the healthcare industry. Healthcare workers are being burnt out, short of supplies, tests etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nobody will force you to take a vaccination if/when one is found, or in the event that you become infected, nobody will force you to take any drugs to to treat COVID-19.

unless you are in the hospital then you have no choice and they will do want they want. 

9 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

I am not a liberal nor a citizen of your Great Country. Let me say this:

suggesting that injecting bleach might be a covid cure? oh wait, it was just a misunderstood sarcastic funny thing that was said during a national tv brieving of a deadly global pandemic.

And nobody in the room blinks an eye?

Not sure whats more shocking, a dumbass president, a dumbass vice president who refuses to wear a mask, dumbass officials who dont open their mouth, or the dumbass population that finds remarks like that nothong unusual...

GLAD I AM IN THAILAND!!

Thailand is the place to be, where the Top govt guy knows everything, says the right thing all the time and does everything for the people!! Good choice!

I

20 hours ago, Ventenio said:

WOW......I'm now in 1967 and I'm sure that in 2020 the technology will be soooo great, people will be sooo smart, information sooo easily accessible, and the world will work together and solve anything.

or be complete morons and share nothing, produce junk, say nothing, and politics and money rule the world

or that

It has been disappointing.  Not even flying cars.

• Like 1

Elected officials at all levels of government have an incentive to under-count deaths caused by Covid 19.  So do people running retirement and assisted living facilities. 

In Florida, with Trump sycophant DeSantis as governor, non-residents who died in Florida are  not counted as Florida deaths.  People who died with Covid 19 symptoms but were not given a test are not counted.  Also, for reasons I don't understand, it takes a week to get test results, which means mortality figures are always a week behind real time.

Informed people assume that there are a great many deaths caused by Covid 19 that are not being counted, many in retirement and assisted living facilities.  The exact number will never be known.  An approximate number will be estimated when death rates for this year are compared with average death rates from years past.  I suspect the number will be shocking.

• Like 1