Pattaya: Tourism recovery may take TWO YEARS, says industry expert

webfact

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and only the strong will survive

You mean, the ones prepared to operate at a loss for an extended period of time, using their own savings to keep their door open.  Hardly a wise business decision, but it's their money.

I also home my favorite bars and restaurants will survive, but I completely understand if they walk away.  

Industry expert needs retraining. The business closures were substantial and nobody is risking bar business on a closed bar with the promotion of more Chinese tourists. Who l will guarantee you reinfect Thailand. Besides that they aint worth 10 baht each. They give no income to grass roots Thais who l may add are the foundations of Pattaya. Best scenario is 4 years. Quicker if the Army government is removed from office via a election.

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

People have been suggesting this for years but it seems nobody in Thailand has any interest in doing so. The sad fact is that scams and price gouging are a means of income for some. And in Thailand, where there's a revenue stream there are always brown envelopes.

Expats and tourist have a choice. If they want to be part of the sleazy scene in Pattaya et al and get ripped off left right and centre it's up to them. Others will vote with their wallet. Money will spend anywhere. Time they clamped down on the Criminals and Scammers and cleaned these places up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranshoko said:

Expats and tourist have a choice. If they want to be part of the sleazy scene in Pattaya et al and get ripped off left right and centre it's up to them. Others will vote with their wallet. Money will spend anywhere. Time they clamped down on the Criminals and Scammers and cleaned these places up.

You have no clue. I lived in Pattaya for 5 years. Wish l was there now. I would be helping feed people. Pattaya food cheaper and better than BKK. Everything accessible. In and Asian nation there's people scamming. Poverty created this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jomtien99 said:

Instead of stating the obvious about the amount of time Pattaya's tourism industry may take to recover, why don't they look at the opportunity in front of them: time to clean up Pattaya and make it a resort for the New World that is coming, less jet ski scams, less double pricing, sort out the waste water drains going out to sea, the songtheaw mafia, etc - time to make it more welcoming

You would think. all this time and very , very few Thais are taking the time and improving. sad but true

• Like 1

But....what if...the recovery and return of tourists is BETTER in Thailand than most other popular destinations? When we all go back to "normal" and people are deciding where to get a good value for thier smaller tourist budgets...What's a great choice? Always more expensive to go to Europe, USA, or Australia. Thailand is KNOWN as a good value and might have a stronger comeback than many other locations when competing for less available tourist dollars. Plus, Thailand CAN brag about having relative fewer Covid deaths...Just hoping my Thai friends will be able to recover as soon as possible from this economic disaster...(Maybe just fooling myself...Look! A unicorn!....)

8 minutes ago, nice2noya said:

But....what if...the recovery and return of tourists is BETTER in Thailand than most other popular destinations? When we all go back to "normal" and people are deciding where to get a good value for thier smaller tourist budgets...What's a great choice? Always more expensive to go to Europe, USA, or Australia. Thailand is KNOWN as a good value and might have a stronger comeback than many other locations when competing for less available tourist dollars. Plus, Thailand CAN brag about having relative fewer Covid deaths...Just hoping my Thai friends will be able to recover as soon as possible from this economic disaster...(Maybe just fooling myself...Look! A unicorn!....)

Was KNOWN to have good value and not is known . Thailand isn't cheap at all anymore and i am very sure that plenty of places in Europe have better value then Thailand . Also , people do want some security after . Security for Covid and security they can can go home fast in case the outbreak happens again . Traveling for 10000 km is not a fast return home , so Thailands tourism is down for a few years at least . They will come back , but not any time soon .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

You have no clue. I lived in Pattaya for 5 years. Wish l was there now. I would be helping feed people. Pattaya food cheaper and better than BKK. Everything accessible. In and Asian nation there's people scamming. Poverty created this.

If you think it's so good why did you leave? 

13 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

As long as the alcohol ban continues no tourist spot salubrious or not stands a chance.

100% right . They can try that , but it won't work . But the alcohol ban is in place now , it won't be when tourists can come back . The alcohol ban is to prevent home parties and groups gathering to have a drink in somebodies home/garden .... . As soon as restrictions are released , the alcohol ban will be lifted also . This will be in steps , like everywhere , but as soon as the 1st tourists can come back , then the bars are allowed open and you can have a drink .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jomtien99 said:

Instead of stating the obvious about the amount of time Pattaya's tourism industry may take to recover, why don't they look at the opportunity in front of them: time to clean up Pattaya and make it a resort for the New World that is coming, less jet ski scams, less double pricing, sort out the waste water drains going out to sea, the songtheaw mafia, etc - time to make it more welcoming

I agree, they were still working on the Beach rd befor new year and I see it continues. Now the beach sand is washing away again. The city council will be counting the costs.

• Like 1

I think even at 70 Baht to The £, with other currencies enjoying similar returns.... Thailand in general, will struggle to recapture it past splendours. The Currency has been kept falsely high ,as have the Chinese kept theirs falsely low for selfish economiv reasons of the wealthy elite. Massive Over development...especially Phuket. Never reforming dreadful safety standards that see many unnecessary Injuries/Deaths. Then of course year upon year of abuse to the tourists to which you clamour. The frequent changing of the Visa Goalposts for ExPats and long term repeat visitors,has been insulting. Is it no wonder the neighbours have been enjoying better times,much of which is made up by disgruntled Ex-Pats that have spat the dummy and upped sticks.

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this seems more realistic. 

and only the strong will survive and it may be much longer than this before we see the level of small business return to pre-virus days. 

i only hope my favorite restaurants in Pattaya survive.

Very very difficult times ahead for Thailand let’s hope they use some good skills like upping the Thai baht to claw folk back otherwise the place is bamboozled for good they need to do something good to get the country back on its feet they are lost without us Falangs even if think we are dirty ???????????????????? well look who caused this pandemic!

9 hours ago, jomtien99 said:

why not? because it all costs money and right now money is not available for anything beyond pure survival! forget the drainage won't be fixed the next 20 years.

Maybe if enough people keep talking about positive change and opportunity for Pattaya then the people that pull the strings and make things happen will be listening.  It can't hurt.  So more, more, more.  Lets here thought ideas and thoughts!!!!!!

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe this time Pattaya will use this restart opportunity to emerge a better and more like a proper resort town than a cowboy's dive and slime joint, will Pattaya fathers will learn and implement new ways or things are just going to go back to the cesspool state it used to be...

Pattaya does not look like a resort to me , its a big city now.

Not quite a paradise Island

6 hours ago, essox essox said:

A friend of mine has been in vietnam for over 6 months now and he loves it. he say far far cheaper than here....and NO HASSLE regarding immigration issues.....he used to stay thailand but now think he is going to become "vietnamese man" !!!

You call Vietnam new rules "No hassle" ???

- temporary residence restricted to 30 days

- extensions 30 days available up to 90 days

- must leave the country after 90 days and apply for a new visa abroad if want to come back...

(see by example https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/03/02/vietnam039s-visa-policies-for-foreigners-undergo-major-changes)

Edited by Pattaya46

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe this time Pattaya will use this restart opportunity to emerge a better and more like a proper resort town than a cowboy's dive and slime joint, will Pattaya fathers will learn and implement new ways or things are just going to go back to the cesspool state it used to be...

IMO it will be the small "slime joint" businesses that will get through this, and the bigger decent businesses will collapse. How will the International Hotels survive? They need a lot of momentum to get to a situation where they can open and cover their running costs. They will need a minimum level of international tourists before they can even open. How soon can international tourists return. Will they want to return to a dead town. By the time International tourists are thinking about returning, the malls will have become empty canyons. They were doing it tough even before the lockdown.

Pattaya could end up a bigger "cowboy's dive" than it has ever been.

The Thai government should have thought more about the consequences before they turned off the lights, but unfortunately government officials are not businessmen and don't rely on enterprise to keep their cushy jobs.

At least in more advanced economies the governments have put a lot of effort into supporting businesses while they remain closed. Here it's every businessman for himself.

In the article it talks about how this is the worst thing that ever happened to Pattaya. It didn't just happen, they made it happen with a draconian shutdown. This is what happens when a military general tries his hands at politics. They don't have the slightest clue of what to do. It's the blind leading the blind.

Pattaya will never be the same again. What it becomes post covid-18 is the only question.