Extension based on marriage - Endurance test !!!

Just to report back on "my" experience regarding the annual extension based on being married to a Thai.

In preparation for this I got all the usual paperwork together the day before, including the letter from the bank to confirm funds. This was helped by a check-list provided by immigration.

Arrived at the local immigration office around 11am. 42 pages of copies info and originals in hand. Never done this before so thought I was well prepared, WRONG ! 

And so the dance begins, desk 1 hand in the paperwork and the girl starts to check it, occasional calls to the wife for more copies of this or that, we are now up to 70+ pages !! The copier lady outside charges 4 x what they charge in the town, but know they have a captive audience.

Then they produce 6 more forms to be completed, time 11.45 and they are going to lunch (should be 12) and tell us to come back in an hour.

Arrive back 1pm, complete more forms. Then we have to be interviewed by the Capt.

Where, when did you meet, what date, how did you meet, what did I do for living before I came here, and a few other prying questions and this went on for 45 minutes, he also made 3 attempts of redrawing the map to our home as it had to be "just so"

Next we were presented with two packs of documents, assuming one for copy one for Bkk.

Had to sign every document in their presence. so 64 signatures from me and same from the wife. Then we paid 1900 baht.

Then we were told that when the Officers visit the home there would be a 2000 baht "service fee"  and we needed TWO witnesses also to be present, one being the Pu Yai baan, and another who must be a Government employee.

I made it quite clear that I didnt see any formal notice stating this service fee, or that it was part of the visa application process. I also asked for formal receipt for this payment. He then back-peddled and said it wasnt him it was "another group" who I would need to talk to. I asked if they were immigration ? he said yes, then I asked, so how is it another group, you all immigration are you not ?, no answer, just to take it up with them on the day they visit.

I now have "the under consideration" in my passport and I have to wait to be contacted re: home visit. In the meantime the wife has to run around and grovel to whoever to attend when they do, together with 2 copies of their ID and Tabien baan. 

This whole process is clearly designed to intimidate and be as difficult and arduous as possible.

Ridiculous situation to be put through, and one I will never do again !! but that's probably exactly what they want and intend to happen.

I am locking this to discussion as its an advisory only, and your mileage may vary. 

I have tried contacting Bangkok regarding this "service fee'' but so far been unable to get through.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2