In lockdown, 'desperate' Swiss turn to snooping and snitching

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The only person that I've ever had a serious ruck with was a Swiss woman in the school car park. I was reversing out of my parking space when she drove across the back of me. We both got out of our cars and it was immediately obvious that no damage was done to either car. She insisted on my insurance details which I refused as no damage had been done. She went completely apoplectic. Insisted that she might find some damage when she got home. She phoned the police who obviously gave her short shrift so then she asked the car park attendant to get the school director. School director was at a complete loss for what to do so apologised to me and guided me out of my parking space and I drove of leaving the Swiss woman jumping up and down and screaming expletives in French.

Two things about the incident puzzled me, when she learned that I was English her anger visibly went up a level. I later learned from a Thai friend who was raised in Switzerland that he was openly taught in school to hate the English and was surprised to find, when he returned to Thailand and began associating with Brits what nice people we were, in his words, much nicer than the Swiss.

The other was when I spoke in Thai to my wife, she got quite arrogant and claimed that she knew what I was saying. Clearly not as my wife and i always converse in Lao/Issan, not Thai.

Definitely one of the most racist, arrogant, bigoted people that I've ever met in my life.

miserable as sin as well.  A sterile place that without the mountains, nobody would bother visiting. Went skiing there once, never again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It is an odd place.

While there in the mid 80s to compete at Zurich’s Oerlikon velodrome, I returned from a morning training ride to be greeted by three neighbors pointing and angrily complaining that I’d left my Duvet airing on my window for 40 minutes past the time it should have been taken in.

It wasn’t so much that they were pointing out my discretion, nor even their state of agitation that I thought odd, it was that they never let up, and followed me up the communal stairs to my door.

Being ‘hen pecked’ by the Swiss is something I’ll alway remember.

It is a very odd place.

Nice scenery though.

I've seen this first hand as well, I saw some woman come out accost a couple at a playground, who were middle eastern, because of the noise the kids were making. At a playground.

This was Zurich as well. My firm had an office in Zurich so I'd often fly over to do charm offensives. I liked the place, basically like a well run German place, except for the park and the shameless price gouging. Great restaurants. And indeed the Zurich clients were lovely people. On the inside they're lovely, but against people on the outside the Swiss can be very combative. They have a marked superiority complex, because their country is small and they make some good products and good money they believe everyone else is a notch below. Even Germans! And that's just a mad world, where people think they're better than Germans.

15 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I've seen this first hand as well, I saw some woman come out accost a couple at a playground, who were middle eastern, because of the noise the kids were making. At a playground.

This was Zurich as well. My firm had an office in Zurich so I'd often fly over to do charm offensives. I liked the place, basically like a well run German place, except for the park and the shameless price gouging. Great restaurants. And indeed the Zurich clients were lovely people. On the inside they're lovely, but against people on the outside the Swiss can be very combative. They have a marked superiority complex, because their country is small and they make some good products and good money they believe everyone else is a notch below. Even Germans! And that's just a mad world, where people think they're better than Germans.

Must be all that gold they've got stashed.

????

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Somehow, reading this makes you understand why they're famous for building Cuckoo Clocks!

Cuckoo Clocks is a German tradition, not Swiss.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meltingpot2015 said:

A dual national is also a swiss national.

Assuming most of them became Swiss by naturalization and were not born and raised in Switzerland consider them as Swiss only on paper.

4 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The other was when I spoke in Thai to my wife, she got quite arrogant and claimed that she knew what I was saying. Clearly not as my wife and i always converse in Lao/Issan, not Thai.

Shouldn't it be 'The other was when I spoke in Lao/Issan to my wife.....'?

10 minutes ago, CLS said:

Assuming most of them became Swiss by naturalization and were not born and raised in Switzerland consider them as Swiss only on paper.

https://www.ch.ch/en/demokratie/votes/who-is-entitled-to-vote/

Voting rights of dual nationals
Dual nationality does not affect your voting rights in elections and popular votes. Dual nationals can vote and participate in elections, unless other reasons prevent them from doing so.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Many years back I met a young  Swiss guy who had completed a Vet qualification  and had  taken a 2 year long  world holiday tour before  going home to presumably take up that occupation. Something he was not really looking forward to. His explanation was that he detested the  restrictive/conservative social attitudes of Switzerland with some examples. He explained that he was constantly snidely accused of being  "Communist" for reason such as that his car was old and a little rusty, he often put a rubbish bag out that did not color match the rest of the street. He approached  his local  Parish Minister  to suggest they stop wasting  time,paper and money regularly  posting him a Church  newsletter for which even the Minister suggested he  was a Satanic Communist ! Washing  your  car or driving it on a Sunday was a blasphemous act and if you drove into  a mountain village on a Sunday you could expect to have stones hurled at your car! It was acceptable ,if not expected , to walk along the shore of  Lake Geneva on a Sunday but which he said was depressing because it was so full of  rubbish! When he  told me women in Switzerland  only got  full voting  rights in  1971 my perceptions of Switzerland was destroyed. Gone were the images of Heidi in pigtails yodelling away in unison  with some curious cuckoo clock as she extracted milk  from a loyal Toggenburg to prepare famous Swiss yogurt! ????

On 5/1/2020 at 8:58 AM, Rookiescot said:

Yeah but its good beer.

You get good beer in Germany or Belgium for +/- 1 Euro !?!? In Germany you even get half a litre for that !?!?!? there are over 780 different kinds of beer in Belgium !!!!

Belgian Beers.jpg

Belgian-Beers-On-The-Wall-780-Belgian-Bottles-Of-Beer.jpg

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:29 PM, Logosone said:

I like the Swiss democratic system though. 

Maybe only practical in a small Benjamin country like Switzerland, Denmark or Netherlands though.

In some countries the referendum is 'a device of dictators and demagogues'.

24 minutes ago, meltingpot2015 said:

In some countries the referendum is 'a device of dictators and demagogues'.

You have no knowledge of a real democracy. Initiatives and referendums are the antidote to dictatorship.

5 hours ago, CLS said:

You have no knowledge of a real democracy. Initiatives and referendums are the antidote to dictatorship.

It was a referendum on the constitution that screwed Thailand. It was a referendum on the EU that screwed the British economy.