Flypasts and promotion for UK fund-raising hero 'Colonel' Tom as he turns 100

snoop1130

With all the worldwide news of the COVID-19 pandemic, I find this news very refreshing and inspirational, especially coming from good old "blighty" (the UK - an expression used by soldiers in both World Wars)

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With all the worldwide news of the COVID-19 pandemic, I find this news very refreshing and inspirational, especially coming from good old "blighty" (the UK - an expression used by soldiers in both World Wars)

There's always one!

Don't worry, you'll be able to sit on your bar stool again soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

There's always one!

Don't worry, you'll be able to sit on your bar stool again soon enough.

Yes indeed - "Captain Tom"!!!

For your information I am not a bar stool person. I lived in Northern Thailand "out in the sticks" - hated Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed - "Captain Tom"!!!

For your information I am not a bar stool person. I lived in Northern Thailand "out in the sticks" - hated Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok. 

I think he meant to quote britman2

i could  be wrong but his post makes more sense if was. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Perhaps someone from the government of good old blighty can explain why it is necessary for an old man to do this in order to see the NHS funded.

All he is doing is making a tiny dent in all those years of austerity and cutbacks.

Perhaps Colonel Tom can ask why all those Conservatives were cheering and laughing when they voted down a pay rise for the NHS staff?

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Perhaps someone from the government of good old blighty can explain why it is necessary for an old man to do this in order to see the NHS funded.

All he is doing is making a tiny dent in all those years of austerity and cutbacks.

Perhaps Colonel Tom can ask why all those Conservatives were cheering and laughing when they voted down a pay rise for the NHS staff?

I think you somewhat missed the point. yes he needed help from someone for all the computer/media stuff but I suspect he was bored and wanted to do his bit in a crisis just the way he had done his bit before. 

He is from a generation who think of others before they think of themselves. He wanted to raise 1000 pounds which I am sure he is aware won't even keep the Min. Of Health stocked with coffee. But once he started... 

It gave him purpose for a while. Purpose is a much overlooked requirement for living.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I think he meant to quote britman2

i could  be wrong but his post makes more sense if was. 

I think so too 

Why is it that there is always someone that feels the need to dump their S**t on an otherwise good story :sad: 

Why don't the S**T dumpers start their own topics instead of S**tng on everyone else then we can just hit the ignore button and everyone will be happy.

:angry: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:36 AM, Rookiescot said:

The money raised is fore NHH CHARITIES. Not the NHS itself.

The charities support former and serving NHS staff in their hour of need.

17 hours ago, PhilAtUbon said:

The money raised is fore NHH CHARITIES. Not the NHS itself.

Whilst that is a worthy cause, most NHS charities do far more than that.

BACKGROUND NHS Charities

There are more than 230 NHS charities across the UK and most of them focus on helping our hospitals do more. Collectively these charities give £1 million every day to the NHS so that people can stay well for longer and get better faster. In recent years NHS charities have funded major capital projects, pioneering research and medical equipment at our hospitals, helping patients access the best possible care when they need it most.

They also play a key role in mobilising volunteers to support NHS staff, brightening wards and waiting areas with colourful and engaging art and building an important link between our hospitals and our communities. Other NHS charities support mental health trusts, community health trusts and ambulance trusts.

These vital funds and services are above and beyond what the NHS alone can provide, touching lives and making a huge difference to millions of people when they are at their most vulnerable.

19 hours ago, PhilAtUbon said:

My point was that the money raised does not go to the NHS itself.

Your point was far more than that; it was that none of the money raised goes toward patient treatment nor care. As shown by your saying

On 5/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, PhilAtUbon said:

Which is not correct. Most of the money raised by or donated to NHS charities goes toward patient treatment and care.

Why you want to diminish the achievement of this remarkable man by trying to convince people that the money he raised will not go to patient treatment or care, only you know.