Chinese tourists set to return to Chiang Mai in July, tourism chief predicts

Germany has seen an increase in cases after having eased their measures some time ago. Here in the UK over the past 2-3 weeks, people have been less serious about lockdown and enjoying the warmer sunny weather; today we have shot up form around 4,000 daily cases to 6,000. I really think this is a bad idea wherever in the world lifting of lockdown happens, especially bringing in tourists from other countries, it's insane. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What can one even say? Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to, or coming to? Will everything be open? How about nightlife?

There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. And rosy projections are just that. They are based on less than zero. 

So what countries will issue a ''clean from covid'' certificate/letter?

Can you imagine going to a doctor in the West and asking for a ''I am clean'' certificate?  Dream on!

2 hours ago, rebo said:

What a likeable and honest looking contemporary! I know some of them (e.g. our village chief), and what most have in common is relentless striving for the well-being of even the lowest of their subjects ...

You're avin a larf, or are you intent on me having one?

9 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

So what countries will issue a ''clean from covid'' certificate/letter?

Can you imagine going to a doctor in the West and asking for a ''I am clean'' certificate?  Dream on!

sooner or later this virus issue will have to end. stay hopeful. are we not living on hope?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

And i hope so,but the chineese need a 72 hours health certificate,corona free and a 100.000$ health insurance,they are the new rules of i make a mistake?

These are the new rules, but this is Thailand, and rules dont count for much at all where money is concerned from Tourists.

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

those will not be a problem for the chinese.

insurance is already cheap...... picc offers private policies similar to the bupa my thai gf has but about 25% cheaper.  the government could easily mandate some form of short-term policy with covid coverage at a reasonable cost.

virus tests are available on demand at the main hospital where i live, small city in hainan province.  cost about 1000 baht.  two airports (haikou and sanya) have direct flights to thailand, could set up test clinics outside the terminals, assuming there's a reliable 15-minute test.

flights won't be a problem either.  domestic flights are operating, and at least a dozen chinese-branded carriers already have established routes to thailand.  they have the planes and the staff, record-low fuel prices, and pent-up demand.  only waiting for approval from both governments.

the main problem will be quarantines.  trips to thailand are perfect for the chinese, only a couple hours flight from major hubs.   with visa on arrival a weekend trip to thailand is as cheap/convenient as a domestic visit to popular domestic destinations.  it's the  14-day isolation at either end that will kill the deal.

you needn't worry about many not having jobs for months.  lots of factories were shut down, migrant workers stayed home, but they aren't the ones taking trips.  much of the population still got their paychecks.  chinese are big savers, will often buy their cars or apartments for cash.  a trip to thailand won't dent their savings. 

be ready..........they are coming.

It won't happen.  Without the trade surplus with US mostly and developed world, Chinese government most likely will try to restrict Chinese to go oversea to save hard currencies. So large flood of Chinese visitors after the pandemic would not happen.

The Chinese will travel within their own country first. Thailand won't be high on the list.

When they do come, they'll stick to what they know even more than before. Most of their spend will go towards Chinese owned/operated businesses. They'll be shy and self-aware.

• Like 1

So Thailand is welcoming Chinese tourist because their new virus cases are low. 

What about European and American tourists?

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

One other thing that seems to be overlooked is that with so many people off work and having little cash, they won’t be able to afford holidays - but even if they can afford one, they won’t have time as they will all be back at work trying to get finances sorted. The company I work for has basically banned anyone taking holidays when the pandemic is over - if the whole company suddenly goes on holiday when we are allowed to travel we will collapse completely. Most companies I know are doing the same. 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

we are saved! 

Certainly not you but the Thai people are saved from starvation (not virus).

I've been hearing about Thai people

• drinking rat poison,
  • suicide by drawing sketch of a certain political figure image,
  • long queues for free food
  • long wait for a measly 5000 baht a month
Edited by EricTh

Pity they didn't use the crystal balls to predict the pandemic. Well, I've got a prediction for the tourism authority...get ready for the next outbreak of some virus or other (mind you, my prediction is based on HIV, H1N1, Sars...). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The head of the Chiang Mai tourism business association Noppadol Jariphak told local media that the Chinese were ready to come back to Thailand in droves.

Noppadol said that Thailand is a wonderful place for tourism for Chinese and other nationalities.

They also appreciate that Thailand has top notch health services as proved during the Covid-19 crisis,

I was coping with the beer ban until I read this... now I'm having issues!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

the virus // was spread around the world by the Chinese.

Not 100% true.

Several example that I know for France an Italy were the virus arrived from local businessmen traveling abroad, China or other infected areas, or even from militaries.