Chinese tourists set to return to Chiang Mai in July, tourism chief predicts

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What can one even say? Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to, or coming to? Will everything be open? How about nightlife?

There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. And rosy projections are just that. They are based on less than zero. 

Maybe not soon, but a vaccine would eventually negate all that and Thailand goes back to being swamped. Not to appear racist here - zero issue with folk from anywhere visiting - but stop bloody doing it in massive numbers!

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why not ?

As far as I know China has rather well managed/contained the epidemic in the country, with the few new cases being now people coming back from abroad;

So probably less risky today to get Chinese tourists than tourists from Europe or USA...

and these tourists have nothing to do with the fact that this virus first appeared in China and the way China managed it.

You need a doctor. You know nothing about the CCP. HAHA funny read

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wish it were that easy. Must be from the country of origin. And impossible to get in the US. Hopefully, things will simmer down in the US and Europe sometime soon, and Thailand will not require it in the near future. 

<deleted> no certificate just fit to fly 

On another Thai news net, the tourism chief, TAT, said NO this is not going to happen any time soon and trotted out a date of maybe October. 'if the safety of thai people can be assured' Funny how when TAT says something realistic, news articles FAIL to mention it.

This guy, is the Chiang Mai whoopdeedo of tourism. He has to spin it. Last years high season was a wash because of a phuket boat accident & an airport beat down. This year the wuhan virus. And beyond all that, there was a massive over build in the rush to tap the Chinese tourist 'gold rush' in CM, resulting in a hotel/apartment/condo glut. That before the events mentioned above happened. You add all that up, and you would be hitting the bottle hard too. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, MobileContent said:

My Prediction for the remaining year and 2021.

1) American's will look for Mexico (beaches) and Canada and the Canadians will do the same so the market is gone.

2) Russia if they still can afford it will visit Turkey, Egypt and possible Croatia etc but nothing in Asia.

3) East Asia (excluding China) the destination of choice will be Vietnam.

4) Australia and New Zealand will visit each other country and I doubt the Australians even think about a holiday in Bali as Queensland has great and CLEAN beaches.

5) Europe they will travel within the EU once the situation allows it.

You forgot sex ....... travel to Thailand was always driven by men looking for sex, nobody came here for the beaches.

Where in your list is the sex?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

You need a doctor. You know nothing about the CCP. HAHA funny read

do the thai authorities know?  or care?  they want to restart tourism and get the rmb's flowing again as soon as possible.  unless china gets hit with a massive 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) wave, they're likely to be the best source of tourism revenue in the near future.  doubt a change in administration would make any difference.

44 minutes ago, spider1197 said:

Give this guy some booze.  He's having hallucinations.  I really can't believe these guys say such stupid stuff.  REALLY !!!

Look at his face. I rest my case. Order in the court please. Case dismissed 

• Haha 1

surveys taken within China suggest that what the minister saying is correct and there will indeed be a stampede, there’s many millions of them over there with the cash and they want and need a holiday...

Western countries are a little dicey as they are not exactly the flavor of the day, thailand however.....open their arms with love.

its coming....have no doubt about that.....thailand holiday is trending high on Chinese social media............

But, I just finished making my 1 millionth leak proof liner bag, for the inside of purses and backpacks, you know for all those "All you can eat Buffets" to hand out to the Chinese hordes.  This way they can take home what they cant stuff in their gullets, and instead stuff into the bag, as they force there way past you, leaving you with maybe 1 shrimp on your plate......Only 1 baht per bag, I was gonna be a millionaire.....bwahahaha!!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Maybe not soon, but a vaccine would eventually negate all that and Thailand goes back to being swamped. Not to appear racist here - zero issue with folk from anywhere visiting - but stop bloody doing it in massive numbers!

There is an automatic presumption that a vaccine would be 100% effective. Not sure that would be the case. Don't worry. The huge numbers will not return for at least two years. If ever. 

• Like 2