Spray on foam roof insulation

HashBrownHarry

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm thinking of misting the roof with one of those misting kits and use the latent heat of vaporization to do the cooling.  

Not sure I follow.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

So, you paid over B120K for foam insulation?  [cough]  Do you feel it was worth it?

The roof material was about  the same as the insulation, and The total was quite a bit more than 240k.

As a new install of a metal roof I would choose a different insulation if I were to start again.

It is certainly significantly better than no insulation, and is better sound insulation than most other options. 

is it the best choice? That will depend on each particular situation and the installer, but for some the answer is absolutely yes, for others no. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

i spoke with them yesrterday and this is the price i got as well, 600tbh per sqm

I paid 400 baht per roll for my R38 insulation batts which covers an area of 2.4m2, so I needed to cover an area of 320m2 which came to around 60,000 baht including labor, delivery and tape, doing the calcs on the above @ 600 baht per m2, that's like 192,000 baht, Jesus.

I paid about the same for the thermal reflective sisalation under the roof tiles, add two whirlybirds and I am still 70,000 baht better off and very cool in here.

Sounds very expensive, I would want to be standing in someone's house between 12pm-2pm on a very hot day like today to feel how cool it really is with that stuff your thinking of putting in, unless you have a small area under your roof to cover.

Put it this way, when someone walks in here they think the A/C is on, but its' not, and we are not uncomfortable at all, love it ????

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I paid 400 baht per roll for my R38 insulation batts which covers an area of 2.4m2, so I needed to cover an area of 320m2 which came to around 60,000 baht including labor, delivery and tape, doing the calcs on the above @ 600 baht per m2, that's like 192,000 baht, Jesus.

I paid about the same for the thermal reflective sisalation under the roof tiles, add two whirlybirds and I am still 70,000 baht better off and very cool in here.

Sounds very expensive, I would want to be standing in someone's house between 12pm-2pm on a very hot day like today to feel how cool it really is with that stuff your thinking of putting in, unless you have a small area under your roof to cover.

Put it this way, when someone walks in here they think the A/C is on, but its' not, and we are not uncomfortable at all, love it ????

I already have the rolls of insulation installed when house built.

I have about 220sqm total ( on 3 buildings ) i want done, so looking at about 120-130K which i'm willing to try.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would never use spray foam. One short circuit in the ceiling space, and the potential is there for the foam to be thermally degraded, either by fire or heat.

Foam is most commonly polyurethane. The degradation products of polyurethane are hydrogen cyanide, among plenty of other toxic compounds. Fibreglass insulation is far safer.

Leaks won't improve by spraying on foam. All that is doing is delaying the inevitable.

Product Name
SCG Stay Cool Insulation for Ceiling 75 mm (3 inches) and 150 mm (6 inches). Standard Roll size 60x400 cm
Key Features
Green-3 helps reducing waste by using 100% recycled glass. Green-3 material is treated with HydroProtec to repel water and moisture which help prolonging insulation performance. Suitable to use with Cool Wall for sunlight exposed area
Material
SCG Green Insulation. Covered with aluminum foils
Brand
SCG
Product Origin
Thailand
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Whirly birds / roof vents not an option for me due to roof design.

Had it been an option would have tried before going to foam.

You could look into what it would cost to replace your roof and get a higher pitch in it so that you have room for ventilating to the heat that would be trapped in there, seriously, you don't want to be throwing money at something that isn't going to give you what you want in the long run, again, depends on your budget, but for me, comfort is imperative in this climate as I am home basically 24/7.

Example went on a big shopping today (stocking up on booze too, YES !!!!!, hour drive each way, 6 hour return trip, got back at 3.15pm 40 degree temp outside, walked into the house, nice and cool, worth every baht invested.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

You could look into what it would cost to replace your roof and get a higher pitch in it so that you have room for ventilating to the heat that would be trapped in there, seriously, you don't want to be throwing money at something that isn't going to give you what you want in the long run, again, depends on your budget, but for me, comfort is imperative in this climate as I am home basically 24/7.

Example went on a big shopping today (stocking up on booze too, YES !!!!!, hour drive each way, 6 hour return trip, got back at 3.15pm 40 degree temp outside, walked into the house, nice and cool, worth every baht invested.

Ain't pulling the roof off, can't be arsed with the hassle.

I recently ( last year ) upgraded all windows and doors which was a massive improvement, now just fine tuning i guess.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Ain't pulling the roof off, can't be arsed with the hassle.

I recently ( last year ) upgraded all windows and doors which was a massive improvement, now just fine tuning i guess.

How much roof do you have up there, or is it as flat as a pancake so to speak ?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

How much roof do you have up there, or is it as flat as a pancake so to speak ?

With regards to volume?

Not sure how to work that out, one of my buildings has 120sqm ( approx ) footprint, highest apex of roof i'm gueesing 1.5m, very shallow.

Re Foam:

If they still use the same method, which is a guy spraying with a huge flexible hose connected to the truck/pump outside, it is extremely messy, dirty and can be toxic until it fully dries.

Plus your 1-1.5m of space is maybe not enough room, especially since you have ceilings already installed.

I would therefore strongly suggest you just go with the extra insulation on top of the ceiling.

Also not sure why you can't install a whirlybird..they are easy to install on the existing roof tiles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thainet said:

Re Foam:

If they still use the same method, which is a guy spraying with a huge flexible hose connected to the truck/pump outside, it is extremely messy, dirty and can be toxic until it fully dries.

Plus your 1-1.5m of space is maybe not enough room, especially since you have ceilings already installed.

I would therefore strongly suggest you just go with the extra insulation on top of the ceiling.

Also not sure why you can't install a whirlybird..they are easy to install on the existing roof tiles.

I will look into the whirly bird option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I will look into the whirly bird option.

The whirlybird set comes in different sizes 1m. 1.20m 1.50m. The whirlybird is mounted on a fibreglass/poly/PVC sheet and then part of this sheet actually replaces the existing tiles or roof panels, and sealed with silcone. No motors and if good stainless steel, no rust forever. 

The shop you buy from will include the installation in the price, and its easy and fast.

Edited by thainet
  • Like 1

Also you may think about installing reflective foil (comes in rolls) directly the underside of the roof. This usually done when a house is being built, but can be done later, although it won't be leak proof, but will definitely cut down on heat.

Pic attached.

P1050341.thumb.JPG.25a3e901d134d157a8fbcd1de2a3020f.jpg

Also you may think about installing reflective foil (comes in rolls) directly on the underside of the roof. This is usually done when a house is being built, but can be done later, although it won't be leak proof, but will definitely cut down on heat.

Pic attached.

After building more than 12 individual houses in Thailand over the years, this is the extent of my wisdom for you. .Good luck on whichever way you lean.

Edited by thainet
  • Like 1

Also you may think about installing reflective foil (comes in rolls) directly the underside of the roof. This usually done when a house is being built, but can be done later, although it won't be leak proof, but will definitely cut down on heat.

Pic attached.

i have this

Note - you should primer those welds

46 minutes ago, thainet said:

Pic attached.

Depending on the material of the roof substructure it can be easy or difficult to do. On a roof with nothing it makes a huge difference.

Don’t forget always shiny side down and there must be an air gap on the down side. On the up side no air gap is needed.

6A006672-657E-4A4B-B7AC-7929FEFA5A95.jpeg.dda134ca7b9396d218ca7f7d343369c3.jpeg1C547CA6-BA59-4847-A911-CA86995578F1.jpeg.178a6a9760fabc49be60d9b81e32d08b.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 11 months later...