Manditory face mask if outside

david2923

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

People should want to wear face masks all tbe time, mainly because it screws up all the facial recognition software that is now effectively everywhere. The coronavirus is also a good reason, but nowhere near as important as facial recognition. 

I have also decided to wear a mask in public forever. Mask and black glasses, all the camera are fukked up forever.

It's also convenient when i do not brush my teeth, as my underwears are when i fart !

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There's a bit of a contradiction here. First you say 'If you could see them, they wouldn't be very effective, would they?'

Then later, you say 'check the streets streets/BTS in Bangkok, they're everywhere'. 

Get my drift?

I've been reading up on 'smart airports' where these cameras can speed up the processing time as passengers move through the system. Good idea, but FR cameras everywhere? No, I don't think so.

Only China seems to be moving toward that 'big brother' era on a large scale at the moment.

You boil frogs slowly.

• Haha 1

According to one health expert, holes in even high-quality masks are so large as to render them useless for keeping viruses out. It's analogous, he said, to an average size man walking through a 100 foot high door.

I wear one, partly to avoid a fine but more to give the impression of being one of the herd. Correction. I mean flock.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No.  It's up to you.  Some stores and banks will require you to wear one but that's up to them.

This is Thailand, full of power tripping officials who make up their own rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I heard a similar thing from a wife who "read it somewhere", nothing in any official announcement.

I always wear a mask when outside in public anyway, it makes the locals feel good. 

Note that some area HAVE made it compulsory with 20k Baht fines for transgressors, but it's not nationwide.

Thats true, when I returned home from riding my bike recently, my wife told me a policeman complained that I was not wearing a mask, and the next time he would fine me, the stupid idiot doesn't know what a nose and a mouth are for especially when you are doing hard exercise, now I just wear one around my chin as if it had fallen down.

• Like 1

Regardless of the efficacy of masks or the local law - whatever it might be or rumored to be - just look around you.

If, as in BKK, 95 percent are wearing a mask in public, then you should too. It's a matter of politeness if nothing else.

If no one in your area is wearing masks, then up to you.

Personally I steer clear of anyone not masked. With the minor caveat that some bikers and runners in the early AM aren't masked. That's kinda understandable. I pull mine back if no one's within 20+ meters, because in this heat they're a bit suffocating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes we all know that Immigration use them. That shouldn't be of any concern to bona fide visitors here.

555555. since when and where????

Yes we all know that Immigration use them. That shouldn't be of any concern to bona fide visitors here.

7 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

7 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

555555. since when and where????

Here's one reference and there are plenty more if you care to search for them.

https://inspirehuahin.com/lifestyle/thai-immigration-to-introduce-facial-and-fingerprint-recognition-at-all-airports-and-border-checkpoints/

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

mandatory in Hua Hin. 

please all farangs wear a mask to show the Thai people you are not part of the problem and respect their battle with Covid19. 

thank you.

Have to tell you I have had a tooth ache for 4 days and today plucked up courage to visit the dentist . The first one I went to said they do not want foreign patients . The second dentist where I have been to 3 years ago and they had my records . I filled in the forms and sat for 1 hour whilst other Thais came in signed the forms and were treated . Then I saw the dentist appear and take off her ppe and left the building . I asked what was happening and was told she finish now .  So 2 down and went to the next which is a Smile clinic and they examined my teeth and x rays taken . I return there Monday . I wore a mask throughout at every dentist and was well dressed in long trousers and nice shirt . It seems the Thai government guy who called farangs dirty people is to be believed even by professional Thais . 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Crossy said:

I heard a similar thing from a wife who "read it somewhere", nothing in any official announcement.

I always wear a mask when outside in public anyway, it makes the locals feel good. 

Note that some area HAVE made it compulsory with 20k Baht fines for transgressors, but it's not nationwide.

If it's not official how can they impose fines? ( and who ?)

6 hours ago, gargamon said:

If you could see them, they wouldn't be very effective, would they? It's to the point some airlines were doing away with boarding passes because they were using facial recognition. You may not see them in Isaan but check the streets/BTS in Bangkok, they're everywhere.

See them or not, they will always be effective. People have a tendency to forget easily and when the cams are there every day, 24/7 almost everyone will forget they are there. I did an experiment with several of my classes here in Thailand many years ago where I set up a vid cam on a tripod on my desk where everyone could see it and pointed the monitor towards the classroom so everyone could see what they were doing. The novelty wore off after the 2nd day and after that it was business as usual. The common folk are not any different.

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If it's not official how can they impose fines? ( and who ?)

Where do I say it's not official?

The rules are set by the local governor making it very official, the local police do the fining.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The 1st line of your quote.

OK I'll bite.

A national requirement has not been declared in an official notice which was suggested by our OP.

The local requirements over and above the national minima have been declared by local governors, these are official.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK I'll bite.

A national requirement has not been declared in an official notice which was suggested by our OP.

The local requirements over and above the national minima have been declared by local governors, these are official.

Do you know of the provinces ( or how we can find out ) impose the fine for not wearing a mask?

Thx,

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

Do you know of the provinces ( or how we can find out ) impose the fine for not wearing a mask?

Sadly I'm not an all knowing Oracle.

Several have been noted on ThaiVisa. I suggest you post the question in the forum for the area in which you are interested. You should get accurate local information then.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Crossy said:

Fines can go higher than 20,000 baht.  Up to 100,000 baht in Chon Buri  Just wear a mask

92703870_10220504036244340_9056732408191123456_n.jpg.c6b726a70d738aa029a46dc7a9f875b3.jpg

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There's a bit of a contradiction here. First you say 'If you could see them, they wouldn't be very effective, would they?'

Then later, you say 'check the streets streets/BTS in Bangkok, they're everywhere'. 

Get my drift?

I've been reading up on 'smart airports' where these cameras can speed up the processing time as passengers move through the system. Good idea, but FR cameras everywhere? No, I don't think so.

Only China seems to be moving toward that 'big brother' era on a large scale at the moment.

I guess you have not heard of contact tracing...

• Confused 1