Phuket exodus halted as officials overwhelmed, close bridge

snoop1130

And the question is, did anyone ever see the QR code !? i.e. did these people have a queue position they got with the QR Code? I never saw that QR Code at all. Wondering what's gonna happen. Probably they will put some red tape on the ground to indicate the distance between people. And I think that's all that will change till Sunday.

• Haha 2

Apparently 400 of them are heading to Udon Thani, looks like they're being transported there as when they arrive they will be quarantined for 14 days.

They're being housed at a university there whilst under quarantine.

Looks like we're seeing inter provincial level quarantines being rolled out now.

Edited by ukrules

In this mornings ThaiVisa newsletter:

"Phuket officials report zero new confirmed COVID cases"

"....leaving the total number of people in Phuket officially recognised as infected with the disease since the outbreak began at 217."

"The report noted that 177 people who had been confirmed as infected since the outbreak began had recovered and been discharged from hospital care."

Of the 40 remaining cases, 38 are still in hospital (along with 104 being tested but not yet confirmed as being infected).
Of the remaining 2 confirmed cases, 1 died from the virus and one person who was listed as having died from it was changed. Apparently he was infected, but died as a result of a motorcycle accident. (They think he may have been infected in the hospital and that may have contributed to his death, but it wasn't the cause of it.)

From the Thaivisa thread here:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1162271-phuket-officials-report-zero-new-confirmed-covid-cases/?do=findComment&comment=15363375

And the original source article here:
https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-report-zero-new-confirmed-covid-cases-75921.php

• Thanks 1

Are you kidding me! Let em all go! A complete blessing and while you at it, make them supply copies of their ID’s (or use the 5 baht-a-scan-machine currently idle at the immigration offices) and don’t let em back in again until all gainful employment has been taken up by local residents. Then let them back in on case by case basis and not without a job. Phuket needs some serious cleaning up!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So the process of leaving has now been planned for how long that it could not be conducted orderly in the end? Similar to setting up checkpoints in Chonburi...

Anyway, I can't imagine 40,000 people passing orderly through a bottleneck in Thailand...

Edited by Mak25
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg O said:

So if 40000 people registered via some silly government APP did anyone actually audit the sheer numbers and not anticipate there would be a mass exodus at the end of curfew that morning on a holiday weekend ?  You can't make this stuff up. The gross ineptitude and negligence. Imagine people wanting to go home on a holiday weekend after being locked down for weeks. An Army of numbskulls...

I seem to remember the same things being said when people were allowed to leave Bangkok.

No "Flip Flop" on TVF just constant whinging.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Hours after opening the bridge for people to leave the island early today (May 1), police ordered the bridge closed to traffic again as officials were overwhelmed by the people wanting to leave Phuket to get home.

They probably got called to go and bust up a free food handout line that was too long.

12 hours ago, mr mr said:

i think it's time to form a committee to determine the next course of action. i wonder who could head that committee.

I propose a committee to determine who the head of the committee will be. Now who's gonna head the former is a good question..