Unexplained Bruising anyone ??

CharlieH

I have had this happen a few times, may be 2-3 a year where I will get bruised for no apparent reason ?

The other day I grabbed the handbrake in the car and it was like a bee sting, really uncomfortable for a few minutes and next day my index finger has a 1 inch section between the two nuckles that is black like its been jammed in a door or hit with a hammer ????? No pain no discomfort, just discolored.

What the heck is that all about ?

Thanks for the replies.

Last physical was about a year ago. 

Is there a specific type of blood test needed ?

Is this something to be concerned about or just an age related thing ? 

A CBC (complete blood count).  Every physical includes one.

A coagulation profile may also be done if symptoms are severe but is not routine. It doesn't sound like this is the case with you but if worried you cpuld request it.

Capillaries do get more fragile as one ages and burst more easily.

• Thanks 1

Paroxysmal hand hematoma Achenbach syndrome; it appears often on the internal surface of the finger and rather under the middle finger or forefinger at the joints of the first or second phalanx.
Specialty Dermatology
Symptoms Achenbach's is of unknown etiology, however, it is also not a cause for concern. While it can look sort of awful - the finger turns shades of purple and red and can swell, the condition resolves by itself.

Paroxysmal hand hematoma Achenbach syndrome doigt bleu 02.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=achenbach+syndrome&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH864TH864&sxsrf=ALeKk01o0IulfpascdEjgN7HUy1SiTGLJA:1588479681278&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3ZmpnFu7NCYamM%3A%2COQ52A-jfNsSQFM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTUzmphKFh1xm1UJtjFA6DWdRPi6A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3o4r565bpAhWl63MBHUIgAQgQ_h0wAXoECAoQBg#imgrc=3ZmpnFu7NCYamM:

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
Paroxysmal hand hematoma Achenbach syndrome; it appears often on the internal surface of the finger and rather under the middle finger or forefinger at the joints of the first or second phalanx.
Specialty Dermatology
Symptoms Achenbach's is of unknown etiology, however, it is also not a cause for concern. While it can look sort of awful - the finger turns shades of purple and red and can swell, the condition resolves by itself.

Paroxysmal hand hematoma Achenbach syndrome doigt bleu 02.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=achenbach+syndrome&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH864TH864&sxsrf=ALeKk01o0IulfpascdEjgN7HUy1SiTGLJA:1588479681278&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3ZmpnFu7NCYamM%3A%2COQ52A-jfNsSQFM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTUzmphKFh1xm1UJtjFA6DWdRPi6A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3o4r565bpAhWl63MBHUIgAQgQ_h0wAXoECAoQBg#imgrc=3ZmpnFu7NCYamM:

Exactly that !! looks like you were there and took a picture of my finger !...555  ....

If it were only one incident I would take note and ask you doctor on the next visit. If you are bruising elsewhere, I would see a doctor. Some medicines increase blood coagulation time, notably aspirin. But there are others. Liver disease can result in prolonged blood coagulation so if you are concerned a liver profile might be warranted. 

A one time event should not be a cause for alarm, just see as it goes.