Vinyl record player turntable, where to buy?

gobs

Hi all,

Willing to play some vintage records I've recently got. But where to find/buy a turntable in Chiang Mai?

Some advice would be great. Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

I am interested for same reason but first I need to find a stand that fits my decor in the residence I intend to use it in. Most of them are USB. Not sure about the sound. AND if If you want a classic LP player with the phono plugs modern AV receivers and amps don't have a built in line level pre-amp like classic receivers. So, you need to get a preamp. Now I recall they had a ground wire also?  I have about 25 LPs that are not available on CD I would love to play again. 

Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-Vintage-Marantz-Receivers-gear-patrol-2245.jpg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Captain Monday
N
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

If you prefer to inspect prior to purchase Neo on Huay Kaew Road stocks turntables.

Thanks Mahseer. Will go. And yes I'd like to have a look before purchase...

• Like 1

Why do you want to listen to music with possible crackles, wow & flutter & rumble & other noises, with limited dynamic range, when you can listen to say a flac file, and DO NOT tell me you can hear the difference unless you have very expensive loudspeakers, and the ears of a dog! Up to 20kHz. 

I'd be interested to know which are those 25 LPs please.

Edited by stouricks

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I am interested for same reason but first I need to find a stand that fits my decor in the residence I intend to use it in. Most of them are USB. Not sure about the sound. AND if If you want a classic LP player with the phono plugs modern AV receivers and amps don't have a built in line level pre-amp like classic receivers. So, you need to get a preamp. Now I recall they had a ground wire also?  I have about 25 LPs that are not available on CD I would love to play again.

Thanks for your interest. I'd like better a "classic" turntable. But as I don't know how is the market nowadays, I want to have a look at what is available...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Why do you want to listen to music with possible crackles, wow & flutter & rumble & other noises, with limited dynamic range, when you can listen to say a flac file, and DO NOT tell me you can hear the difference unless you have very expensive loudspeakers, and the ears of a dog! Up to 20kHz. 

I'd be interested to know which are those 25 LPs please.

I can't really hear the difference. 28 years ago a professor (audiophile) sat us down in his study and played CD,  then LPs of same classical music recordings On a massive analog system with huge horns, tube amps all that. I remember it was MUCH different, I would say better. He also played old 78s on a victrola with Japanese (I think they were bamboo) needles and they were amazing. Opera and stuff.

What I have. Old Ravi Shankar Album on EMI India, two or three other indian classical, traditional music from Bali, Japan. All picked up in the 80s. At one point  I had a pack of records but the house I lived in with friends we got ripped off in summer 1989 and I lost a lot. A Cabaret Voltaire LP and stuff by The Residents. EPs by local skate/punk bands. I have PIL "Metal Box" original I hear that is worth a few bucks. I have "Euroman Cometh" solo album by Stranglers Bassist JJ Burnel. I guess CD is available I have seen them on eBay for a fortune doubt they are genuine.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I had a pack of records but the house I lived in with friends we got ripped off in summer 1989 and I lost a lot. 

I feel you there. I had perhaps 500 LPs stored in my basement and then we had a heavy rain with flooding (14.5" in 31 hrs) that covered my entire basement in about two feet of water and mud. Destroyed a lot of items I had. Perhaps I could have tried cleaning the LPs and salvage them but with all the original covers gone I just decided to toss them. I was fortunate enough to collect insurance as 5 folks weren't as fortunate and perished in the flood. It was considered to be one of those rare 500 year floods.

NOTE: When the rain started I was on the 17th hole playing golf and was drenched by the time I was able to return to the clubhouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Creek_(Fort_Collins,_Colorado)

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Cannot hear above 11kHz anyway. 

Anyone like myself who used to work on old vacuum type TVs can hear 15,750 Hz as that is the frequency of the horizontal oscillator and that is what a person heard when they first fired up the TV waiting for the high voltage to occur....  ???? 

• Confused 1

Not too sure about CNX - I find Hifi equipment a little overpriced here (Although I don’t have any vinyl here) If I were you I would do my research online, go check some shops and then work out the best way to get what you want, maybe book a flight somewhere or order from overseas.

There are a couple of places in BKK where you can check out the turntables, HD Hifi or BKK audio - I have never purchased anything at these places, I found the prices too much, it would have been cheaper to fly to Singapore for a day to pick the goods up from the Asian distributor. I bought my elac speakers from AV Value in BKK they stock denon turntables.

If you need pre-amps there are plenty of compact component amps at reasonable price - check schist audio mani or research chi-fi amps. 

Cables - Ghent Audio offer an excellent service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Anyone like myself who used to work on old vacuum type TVs can hear 15,750 Hz as that is the frequency of the horizontal oscillator and that is what a person heard when they first fired up the TV waiting for the high voltage to occur....  ???? 

How long ago was that? Check yourself on a signal generator now.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must be young not to know.

Back in the 60's 70s music was special. The whole record thing was special, and it was great having big LPs with artwork on the sleeve.

Now music is just background noise. People boast of having 50,000 songs on their device, even though most of them are <deleted> that will be forgotten 5 seconds after listening to, if even listened to. Not for nothing are there radio stations that play nothing after the 70's.

You might have music that is devoid of crackles, but so what when it's <deleted>.

We had Fleetwood Mac ( before Rumours ), Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Rolling Stones, The King, The Big O, Chuck Berry, Fat's Domino etc and what is there now- Beyonce? 5555555555555555555555

Thank you for your compliment. I was brought up with The Shadows, The Beatles & The Beach Boys having all of their output on flac. Never sounded better.

7 hours ago, recom273 said:

Not too sure about CNX - I find Hifi equipment a little overpriced here (Although I don’t have any vinyl here) If I were you I would do my research online, go check some shops and then work out the best way to get what you want, maybe book a flight somewhere or order from overseas.

There are a couple of places in BKK where you can check out the turntables, HD Hifi or BKK audio - I have never purchased anything at these places, I found the prices too much, it would have been cheaper to fly to Singapore for a day to pick the goods up from the Asian distributor. I bought my elac speakers from AV Value in BKK they stock denon turntables.

If you need pre-amps there are plenty of compact component amps at reasonable price - check schist audio mani or research chi-fi amps. 

Thanks for your interest as well as your advice. That's the way I was thinking about. First, what I can get at my doorstep in CNX, then planning to have a look in BKK. Then...

Good to know HD Hifi and BKK Audio...

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Back in the 60's 70s music was special. The whole record thing was special, and it was great having big LPs with artwork on the sleeve.

Yeah, what else would we be able to use to clean the seeds from our stash?  ????

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

Thank you for your compliment. I was brought up with The Shadows, The Beatles & The Beach Boys having all of their output on flac. Never sounded better.

Younger than I then.

I remember my first and subsequent record players. I don't remember any of the digital devices I've had in the past- they don't even last long- made in China junk, and the music most store on them is also junk for the ears- soon forgotten.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, stouricks said:

Then why bother. I am ex-pro bass/guitar player, that says it all. Cannot hear above 11kHz anyway. Blew my Paradigm tweeters trying to get more top out of them. 

Why bother? I posted that I have records that are not available on CD. Never heard in years.

One or two albums  are sold online as CD for huge prices, most likely low quality fakes.

What is it? Bit once twice shy?

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Why bother? I posted that I have records that are not available on CD. Never heard in years.

One or two albums  are sold online as CD for huge prices, most likely low quality fakes.

What is it? Bit once twice shy?

I don't have anywhere to keep my record collection, so I bought one of those record to digital machines and my collection fits on a flash drive. My records are in storage. They sound like they would on a record player.

One day I hope to have enough room to have my stereo set and records where I can enjoy them.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:47 AM, recom273 said:

KL, Rega gear at UK prices

• Like 1