Vinyl record player turntable, where to buy?

gobs

On 5/2/2020 at 5:27 PM, gobs said:

Thanks for your interest. I'd like better a "classic" turntable. But as I don't know how is the market nowadays, I want to have a look at what is available...

If you can get to BKK there's a sick audiophile shop on the second floor Paragon BKK ... up the escalator from the main atrium entrance and along the right side of the 2nd floor concourse.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't have anywhere to keep my record collection, so I bought one of those record to digital machines and my collection fits on a flash drive. My records are in storage. They sound like they would on a record player.

One day I hope to have enough room to have my stereo set and records where I can enjoy them.

You must be younger than me. Cannot imagine getting up now to flip the album over to hear side 2.

But I still have a collection of vynals that have not been produced digitally. Hopefully I will hear them again one day.

12 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Cannot imagine getting up now to flip the album over to hear side 2.

Heaven forbid those deary days where we had to get up to select one of three TV channels by turning that knob on the front of the TV set.

BTW, I would much rather have to flip to B side than listening to my favorite song be interrupted as the 8-track tape switched to a new track.....  ????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Heaven forbid those deary days where we had to get up to select one of three TV channels by turning that knob on the front of the TV set.

BTW, I would much rather have to flip to B side than listening to my favorite song be interrupted as the 8-track tape switched to a new track.....  ????

Never got to the 8 track. Too advanced for me. Always wanted to buy a Revok tape deck to play for hours but never had the money.

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

https://www.kaidee.com/c77-electric-tv_hometheater/?q=turntable

You want to buy or collect classic high end audio gear ?

Check out Kaidee.com ... you will be surprised what is available here in Thailand ...

Thanks a lot for the link. Agree, very surprised... and interesting.

I just want to buy a "honest quality" turntable and listen to some vinyls I own from time to time. I'm no expert and don't want to go the "classic high end gear" route. It's more about "nostalgia" I guess ????

On 5/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, gobs said:

Some advice would be great. Thanks in advance...

Lazada has a selection – link here – otherwise a shop/company supplying serious pro discotheque equipment should be able to supply a vinyl record player.

1b1d6a3c8d5d13a32681bfa677a02776.jpg

Retro Vinyl Record Player Stereo Turntable Vintage Vinyl record player Classic...
฿1,149.00

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Never got to the 8 track. Too advanced for me. Always wanted to buy a Revok tape deck to play for hours but never had the money.

Revok? Is that the cassette or reel-to-reel?

The earlier cassette decks had the same issue where you had to flip the cassette over to play the other side. But if you splurged you could afford the auto reverse which would play both sides.

The reel-to-reel was excellent for parties as you could listen for hours without having to do anything.

Years back when flying to BKK from New York, an old Chinese gent was trying to carry on a gadget and the screener was having an issue with it.  The old guy couldn't speak English.  I had to explain to the screener that it was an expensive, high-end record player tone arm.   The screener probably never played a record.

Just had a look-see at what high-end record players are out there.  How about £75,000 to £460,000?  And a tone arm cartridge for $12,000.  This one looks like it came from Star Wars. 

image.png.e912967cf8bbc547bcb30d3ac878daea.png

https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Years back when flying to BKK from New York, an old Chinese gent was trying to carry on a gadget and the screener was having an issue with it.  The old guy couldn't speak English.  I had to explain to the screener that it was an expensive, high-end record player tone arm.   The screener probably never played a record.

Just had a look-see at what high-end record players are out there.  How about £75,000 to £460,000?  And a tone arm cartridge for $12,000.  This one looks like it came from Star Wars. 

image.png.e912967cf8bbc547bcb30d3ac878daea.png

https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables

Wow...and I thought I paid an 'arm & leg' for my Kenwood turntable with a marble base....  Can't recall the brand of the stylus I had but it cost me almost as much as the turntable.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:32 AM, Captain Monday said:

I can't really hear the difference. 28 years ago a professor (audiophile) sat us down in his study and played CD,  then LPs of same classical music recordings On a massive analog system with huge horns, tube amps all that. I remember it was MUCH different, I would say better. He also played old 78s on a victrola with Japanese (I think they were bamboo) needles and they were amazing. Opera and stuff.

What I have. Old Ravi Shankar Album on EMI India, two or three other indian classical, traditional music from Bali, Japan. All picked up in the 80s. At one point  I had a pack of records but the house I lived in with friends we got ripped off in summer 1989 and I lost a lot. A Cabaret Voltaire LP and stuff by The Residents. EPs by local skate/punk bands. I have PIL "Metal Box" original I hear that is worth a few bucks. I have "Euroman Cometh" solo album by Stranglers Bassist JJ Burnel. I guess CD is available I have seen them on eBay for a fortune doubt they are genuine.

Nice range of interests. 

Be aware, I had a turntable and didn't realize most have a thick black rubber band to turn the table. After a few months it stretch and got loose because of the heat. Had it changed three times and gave up on playing my records.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Be aware, I had a turntable and didn't realize most have a thick black rubber band to turn the table. After a few months it stretch and got loose because of the heat. Had it changed three times and gave up on playing my records.

A good turntable will have an adjustable speed control and a way to read/ensure that the speed is correct. This control will allow for issues like this and other things that may affect the actual RPM.

6 hours ago, elektrified said:

Are you looking for a vintage (and not a newly manufactured) one?

Thanks for your interest...

Right now, I'm not really sure what I want. At first I was thinking of a vintage (but not high end) turntable. Then I see the vintage ones I see for sale in Thailand are usually expensive to me, and for what I want to do with...

I'm not an expert. It's more having fun by listening to some vintage LPs now and then...

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your nice comments, ideas and great advice. Much appreciated...

You push me to look further, and by browsing some shops online in Thailand, I found those "newly manufactured" turntables available here:

TT-GadHouse-Bluetooth-Turntable.jpg.dc5ae2fcbe0e97598d587bc1abdc8895.jpg

Gadhouse Brad. With USB + RCA outputs and inboard amp + small speakers. Retro style. About 5000 Bahts

TT-MarantzTT5005.png.538ee8723254d26320cc5821240c93ce.png

Marantz TT5005. Classic turntable with RCA output only. About 7500 Bahts

TT-Audio-technicaLP60XHP.jpg.6585e7b6d2f64a939f87874b712e358f.jpg

Audio-Technica LP60XHP. RCA output with inboard pre-amp (on/off) and headphone amp. Free over-head headphone. About 7500 Bahts

These are basic turntables for beginners as I am. Mainly made of plastic with alloy plate. I was thinking maybe I could begin with that (right now I'm not a collector), and see later...

Though if I could find a vintage turntable in good shape in Thailand for this range of price (under 10000 Bahts) I would buy it I suppose. But OK, no hurry...

Again, thanks to all here.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick follow-up...

Finally got a vintage (1972?) Pioneer PL-1200 (PL-51 in the West) from the shop "We love turntables" in Bangkok http://www.weloveturntable.com/?cid=2129127

Just delivered by Flash to my door this evening.

Great shape as described and complete. Ready to use as well...

1882538465_Pioneer002.jpg.68f2a231a47b905f7fad4d857af7b503.jpg

As I don't own yet a proper amp and speakers, I put it at work for a rough quick test in my DIY studio with an amp and speakers I had at hand. As far as it is, everything works fine...

1573201863_Pioneer003.jpg.96ebb0aa302df1e785bc9ec80a4a3743.jpg

I think the asked price of 8500 Bahts was OK for Thailand (+ express delivery 200 Bahts).

I love the look and the vintage way all is put together. Beautiful piece of walnut wood on top of an iron casing (for a total weight of 11 kg), and nice tonearm set. Tomorrow thorough cleaning to get it the nicest possible.

Now I've to think about a DIY tube amp and to find some good second hand passive loudspeakers. A nice project for the coming weeks.

Again, thanks to all for your help and your ideas. Much appreciated...

Cheers

• Like 1