Changing Anthracite and Active Carbon Media

carlyai

I have a water filtration system of a 3000 L settlement tank, then a large anthracite backwashable filter, a large active carbon filter and a Big Blue filter for our portable water. 

I want to change the anthracite and carbon media and would like advice from anyone who has done this.

Advice like: do you have to wash the new media before installing, do you just tip out the old media and fill up with the new media, safety precautions etc.

I was also thinking of installing pressure gauges like on the pool sand filter so I would know when to backwash these filters. Where would you drill holes in the fibreglass filter tanks to install the gauges, or a bad idea. 

Just take the old media out. Wet Vacs are good for this.

I wouldn't worry about washing the new media. Just a long backwash 1st. 

If you install a ball valve on the entry line, close it & let the pump build up pressure, when the pump stops turn the ball valve open & you will get a surge of water. Do this a few times untill you can see the discharge water is clean. 

Ball valves.jpg

On 5/11/2020 at 8:41 AM, Bagwain said:

Just take the old media out. Wet Vacs are good for this.

I wouldn't worry about washing the new media. Just a long backwash 1st. 

If you install a ball valve on the entry line, close it & let the pump build up pressure, when the pump stops turn the ball valve open & you will get a surge of water. Do this a few times untill you can see the discharge water is clean. 

Ball valves.jpg

Hello @Bagwain and thanks.

I hadn't seen any replies so I visited a pump shop and saw they had anthracite and active carbon bags there so asked them to do it so I can watch for the first time. 

Thanks again.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:07 PM, carlyai said:

Hello @Bagwain and thanks.

I hadn't seen any replies so I visited a pump shop and saw they had anthracite and active carbon bags there so asked them to do it so I can watch for the first time. 

Thanks again.

@Bagwain   Seems like the pump shop doesn't want to travel the 100 km to change the contents of my filters, so I'm going to over rule SWMBO and do it my self after your helpful comments.

Can you tell me the quantity of media to use please? 

I have these large Treatton fibreglass filters.20200512_132140.thumb.jpg.bd5a993a1b63eaaf278ae68921ff2141.jpg

20200512_132200.jpg

36 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

75 litres/Kg in each!

Basically 2/3rds full!

Great thanks....cricky that's a lot of kgs. I'll need 2 of my helpers for each tank. My best helper is sooo strong...probably pick that up with one hand.

Plan B: So no wet vac so the plan was to empty out the water and tip the contents onto a bit of our vacant land then hoe in for soil improvement. Then fill up the fibreglass cylinder again with the new media.  Need a plan C? 

Spose I need some proper masks for my workers because of the dust?

I was going to get the active carbon etc from Global House in Mukdahan as I saw some there, but not sure if they'de have it in 75 or 100 kg lots. I'll do another internet search.

Thanks again.

Sorry for late reply but I don't seem to get reply notifications.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:31 AM, carlyai said:

Great thanks....cricky that's a lot of kgs. I'll need 2 of my helpers for each tank. My best helper is sooo strong...probably pick that up with one hand.

Plan B: So no wet vac so the plan was to empty out the water and tip the contents onto a bit of our vacant land then hoe in for soil improvement. Then fill up the fibreglass cylinder again with the new media.  Need a plan C? 

Spose I need some proper masks for my workers because of the dust?

I was going to get the active carbon etc from Global House in Mukdahan as I saw some there, but not sure if they'de have it in 75 or 100 kg lots. I'll do another internet search.

Thanks again.

Sorry for late reply but I don't seem to get reply notifications.

I read that wrong....you said 75 litres per kg...I mistakenly read it as 75 kg...been puzzling me until I came back and re-read your post. Thanks again.

About 36 kgs.. of media.

Edited by carlyai