Clubs told neutral venues only for any Premier League return

rooster59

Clubs told neutral venues only for any Premier League return

By Simon Evans

2020-05-01T153831Z_1_LYNXMPEG403SU_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SOCCER-ENGLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Southampton v Aston Villa - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 22, 2020 General view of match balls on the pitch before the match Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Premier League clubs have been told they cannot use their own stadiums for any resumption of games this season with only "approved neutral venues" to host remaining fixtures in a campaign currently on hold due to the new coronavirus pandemic.

The league, which has been suspended since March 9, remains in limbo, unable to take any steps, until any government decision next week on possible changes to lockdown restrictions.

But on Friday all 20 clubs held a conference call in which they looked at plans for a resumption of training later in May followed by a possible return to competitive action in June.

During the meeting clubs were informed that an eventual resumption of matches would see them played only at neutral venues which has been approved from a health and safety point of view, a source familiar with the discussion told Reuters.

The league has also held talks with club medical staff and other medical experts about how restricted team training might be able to return later this month, if the government allows professional sport to resume.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised to set out next week a “menu of options” on how restrictions could be eased, but said the exact dates of any change would be driven by scientific advice.

The government had originally set May 7 as the day they would review lockdown restrictions.

The Premier League clubs plan to meet again as soon as possible after any government announcement on the lockdown.

SAFE RETURN

While there has been no indication from the government on next week's outcome, the cabinet minister responsible for sport, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, on Friday held the first formal meeting of a cross-sports body set up to examine the practicalities of resuming professional sport.

"I know (Britons) desperately want sport back on," Dowden wrote on twitter. "We just kicked off the first of many detailed meetings to plan for a safe return of elite sport behind closed doors when, and only when, it is safe to do so on the basis of expert medical advice. Lots to consider, but today we step up planning," he said.

The Premier League said it "welcomed the government's support".

English cricket's governing body, the ECB, has been charged with leading the planning effort for all sports and is looking at ways to play sport behind closed-doors in 'bio-secure' venues.

A spokesperson for the Departure of Culture Media and Sports said: "We held an initial, constructive meeting with medical representatives from a number of professional and elite sports bodies, government and PHE (Public Health England) to step up planning on what may need to be done so that athletes could return to training, when it is deemed safe to do so.

"This would be ahead of any return to competitive top-level sport which would only happen when medical experts advise that this can be done safely. Discussions with the sports bodies will continue on this."

While no decisions were taken in the Premier League meeting, clubs reviewed plans for resuming training which will initially be restricted to small groups of players with no use of indoor facilities.

Clubs would also have to disinfect equipment and training facilities after each training session and the numbers of staff present on the training ground would also be limited.

The league said in a statement that it would consult on any plans with players and team managers.

"It was agreed that the PFA (Professional Footballers' Association), LMA (League Managers Association), players and managers are key to this process and will be further consulted," the league said.

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Ken Ferris)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-03

43 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Do the decent thing and just cancel the season.

Hundreds dying every day and PL is scrambling around trying to save money.

Or go ahead if a safe environment can be acheived and give millions of football fans around the world a little enjoyment watching it on TV while we are all 'banged up' at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Or go ahead if a safe environment can be acheived and give millions of football fans around the world a little enjoyment watching it on TV while we are all 'banged up' at home.

Provided you don't invite your mates around to watch.

On the one hand, it's absurd to think that 22 + players aged 18-35 should be in any real threat from this virus (so go ahead and play behind closed doors), but on the other hand football is not football without the wit and abuse of the spectators, whose noise makes the whole affair "real". 

Perhaps we should risk the Swedish solution....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, newatthis said:

Provided you don't invite your mates around to watch.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

I've only got 2, at 2m apart I can squeeze them both into the living room.

Must be a Norwich supporter ????

• Haha 2

For those who are in the middle of the table, I suppose playing in a neutral ground isn't as important. For those fighting for their premier league lives or fighting for a CL spot, it's very important. They could be playing a team who they have already played away. Therefore, they should now get the advantage back of playing at their home venue. It's not only about the home advantage of crowds but also the intimate knowledge of your home turf, width size etc.

My view. The situation is simply Force Majeure and unfortunate but if the league can't be finished within a reasonable time frame after the original scheduled finish, then void it. Do not let it go on and on, potentially causing a knock on effect of next season and maybe the season after.

I love football but governments should be concentrating on safely opening pubs and bars first ????

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It doesn't, might as well void the season, it's not football without a crowd.

There is £762 million in TV money if the season isn't completed, which I think is the kicker.

Edited by Andrew65

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I can't really see why playing at neutral grounds makes that much difference?

If a full season was played that way, I'd agree. Everything would be equal for all.

However, as you can see below, the bottom is still very tight and some of the teams below would have had home advantage already when playing one of the other teams fighting for survival. It's not fair on the other team, that they will now have the home advantage removed on the return match. As I said above, not just about crowds but the home team has the advantage of knowing and setting up their own pitch 

table.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If a full season was played that way, I'd agree. Everything would be equal for all.

However, as you can see below, the bottom is still very tight and some of the teams below would have had home advantage already when playing one of the other teams fighting for survival. It's not fair on the other team, that they will now have the home advantage removed on the return match. As I said above, not just about crowds but the home team has the advantage of knowing and setting up their own pitch 

table.JPG

Agree with the 'advantages' of playing at home mate. Puzzling thing for me is that the most vociferous of the clubs against neutral grounds (Brighton) haven't won at home since December and are not scheduled to play there against any bottom six rivals. In fact, their home fixtures are horrendous!

Maybe the answer will be to rule out relegation for the current season. Then the clubs involved will be happy to use neutral grounds. Promote Leeds and West Brom as well. Will add to next year's fixtures of course, but not playing in the League Cup (and cancelling FA Cup replays) next season could reduce the effects of that. The Premier League could pay compensation to lower league clubs for their loss of income.

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Agree with the 'advantages' of playing at home mate. Puzzling thing for me is that the most vociferous of the clubs against neutral grounds (Brighton) haven't won at home since December and are not scheduled to play there against any bottom six rivals. In fact, their home fixtures are horrendous!

Maybe the answer will be to rule out relegation for the current season. Then the clubs involved will be happy to use neutral grounds. Promote Leeds and West Brom as well. Will add to next year's fixtures of course, but not playing in the League Cup (and cancelling FA Cup replays) next season could reduce the effects of that. The Premier League could pay compensation to lower league clubs for their loss of income.

There is a risk of individual clubs taking legal action if they feel they've been unfairly relegated. or unfairly denied promotion. I think promotion to the EPL is estimated to be worth £60 million.

22 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

There is a risk of individual clubs taking legal action if they feel they've been unfairly relegated. or unfairly denied promotion. I think promotion to the EPL is estimated to be worth £60 million.

The strategy outlined in the second paragraph minimises the risk of legal action.

I reckon:

PL football will not be played in neutral grounds.

The season will end without playing all the games.

Season will be decided on merit.

There will be no relegations. 

Teams like Leeds and WBA who are clear of other teams will be promoted.

Next season will have 2 additional teams in the PL but more relegated teams.

Football for fans will not return for many months, maybe until a vaccine is found or the virus dies away.

I can't see this season finishing, health and safety will put pay to it. It's better to prepare to start again for 20/21 and even that could be a doubt with the current over zealous policies with social distancing.

France and Netherlands have finished already, Belguim likely to finish. It will be interesting if Serie A, la Liga and the Bundesliga restart.

Edited by tribalfusion001

5 hours ago, wilai said:

Maybe the answer will be to rule out relegation for the current season. Then the clubs involved will be happy to use neutral grounds. 

You need the fear of relegation and losing to make it worthwhile. If there's nothing to gain or lose, it becomes pointless. 

53 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You need the fear of relegation and losing to make it worthwhile. If there's nothing to gain or lose, it becomes pointless. 

Not entirely as they will still be playing for 1/4m per position. However, if (as rumoured) all the bottom sides are only bothered about self-preservation (perhaps understandably) then there will be little chance of games being played anyway. Fourteen votes are required for any decision and to get that number, a compromise will need to be agreed somewhere.

4 hours ago, wilai said:

Not entirely as they will still be playing for 1/4m per position. 

Players don't care about that mate. We see it every year when the teams who don't really have anything to play look like they are on the beach already.