Bangkok extends closure of 34 risky locations until May 31

rooster59

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So the big malls and their shops pretty much remain closed another month???  With the limited exceptions of some types of shops listed above.

They promise review every 14 days - so perhaps less than a month.  Dresses and jewelry seem to be especially dangerous items for the men of COVID.

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They promise review every 14 days - so perhaps less than a month.  Dresses and jewelry seem to be especially dangerous items for the men of COVID.

I don't recall the BMA ever using the EN term "malls" in any of their announcements. The closest they seem to come is "department stores", and then say, except for banks, pharmacies... etc. within department stores.

Well, "department stores" don't typically have bank branches and pharmacies and govt. offices within them... But malls do... So I'm presuming they are really talking about malls.

If restaurants and such can now re-open with required masks and social distancing, I fail to see why individual small retail shops within malls (which make up the majority of their space) cannot reopen as well. Just have the malls make it a requirement, masks and social distancing must be maintained, and limit numbers of customers allowed inside individual shops.

If they can do it on the Skytrain and MRT, I don't see why they can't do the same within malls.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So the big malls and their shops pretty much remain closed another month???  With the limited exceptions of some types of shops listed above.

Yes. They say department stores but they clearly mean malls.

• Like 1

Where it says "department stores", it clearly means malls. And then it should add department stores to the list, because it's only logical they'll be shut too.

Vocabulary:

department store = one big store with many sections, e.g. Robinson, Central, etc.

mall = one building containing many small stores, e.g. MBK, Emquartier, Paragon

Edited by sprq
clarity
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Because public transportation is more critical than buying the latest jeans or gadget (which you could even order online). 

Ya well sit-down restaurants are in the same boat, but the BMA has decided to allow them to reopen.

There's nothing "critical" about having sit-down restaurants reopen, when supermarkets have been open all along for food, and many restaurants have continued operating with food delivery services and pickup/takeout services.

There are things people really need to buy that can't necessarily be served thru the online channels. Someone where the other day was bemoaning the ability to get fitted for a new pair of prescription glasses, just as one example.

To be clear, I'm in favor of the anti-CV measures and have been all along. But once they start reopening things, it's sometimes hard to understand any sensible rationale between some of the things that are allowed and others that remain banned.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought the same thing when I saw that on the list. I understand the risk rationale, but in practical terms, they must be idiots to put that on the closures list.

I suspect it is as case for hotels - no new customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Rooster fight ring

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought they are anyhow illegal, or not?

Fights to the death are illegal (banned in 2014) otherwise no problem. I've watched a few in our village. They stick to the rules.

https://www.thailanddiscovery.info/cockfighting-thailand-from-bangkok-rural-villages/

The cynic might wander, since the owners of the really influential businesses seem to have reached, umh, an accommodation with the government after last weeks little misunderstanding, are the provincial administrations holding out for their share?

A jolly dangerous game...

• Like 1

What is the point of this 'news article'.  All those restrictions are already stated in the Emergency Decree.  The government has just stated what restrictions 'can' be lifted and that doesn't include any of those on the list.  Governors should be informing of their take on the government announcement.  What restrictions, based on the government statement are they lifting.  Not what the government are not allowing!  That's already been done! Some provinces still have a ban on alcohol and restaurants only because they're waiting for the lazy governors to get off their seats and do their job.

This article is a complete waste of space and does more to fire confusion than anything else.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought they are anyhow illegal, or not?

Quote:-

CONSIDERED PART OF THAI CULTURE

For the few dozen men surrounding a technically illegal but tolerated underpass cockfighting ring, cockfighting is as much a generations-old Thai tradition as it is commerce...

"It's a way to preserve ancient Thai culture and pass it on to our children," says one 50-year-old.

The official government view supports cockfighting as part of Thai culture.

"We've had cockfighting since ancient times, for more than 700 years," said ........... from the Interior Ministry, which encourages raising the birds in local communities as a form of "extra income".

What is illegal is the gambling but a blind eye is turned (quote:-)

ILLEGAL GAMBLING

Cockfighting is almost always accompanied by lucrative gambling.

"We don't think it's violence as it's a kind of sport," said a regular punter after winning 500 baht on a round which ended in a tie...

...A few weeks later the same stadium raked in 22.2 million baht for a record breaking bet...

While they risk up to two years in jail for gambling at an unregistered ring, authorities routinely turn a blind eye to such activities.

Thailand is dotted with much larger, official cockfighting stadiums that draw vast, big-spending crowds.

Money. money, money!!!!