Beer buying experiences, today...

moontang

I live on the edge of BKK, actually in Nonthaburi.  Went to 711 before 11 and they were well stocked with old ones.  My first sighting of Tiger 490 ml cans, which is good..been after them for two years to sell Tiger.  Got to Makro at 1115.  It was kind of mobbed.  I was surprised to see how many Thais were buying Heineken, but I noticed the boxes were from 5 January..so not fresh.  Looked like a 20 minutes wait to get in..so I high-tailed it to Tesco.  The mob was forming there, and I had to buy the Heinekens in the 4 packs, which cost 1 THB more per can..but they were born on 31 March.  And got a couple cases of Singhas.  People were already buying the single Leo's by the cart full.  The bright spot might be that most places should finally have fresh stocks, of fresh beers, in a week or so, unless things go tits up in the next few days.  I was in a taxi, so that limited me some..now heading to 711 for a bottle of Sangsom.  How did it work out for you?

Edited by moontang
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My online order for my 24 bottles of wine at Wine Connection went in at 10am, and it was delivered at 11am.

They'll be having a busy old day, mine went in at 10:30am, but it probably won't be until Tuesday they'll make it down to Hat Yai.

Beer supplies are fine, wife did a good job of keeping supply levels up during the ban.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

They'll be having a busy old day, mine went in at 10:30am, but it probably won't be until Tuesday they'll make it down to Hat Yai.

Beer supplies are fine, wife did a good job of keeping supply levels up during the ban.

Luckily the wine connection location is only less than 1 km from me....

My local supercheap and Makro were mobbed according to the Mrs.  Went to the local wholesaler, Tigers were out, so I settled on Heineken made at the end of January.  Supposedly more stock arriving tomorrow, but I would think it will take a while to clear out warehouses of old stock.  

• Like 1

I went to tesco at 10.30, i had a look at the new boxes of leo, and told to come back at 11.

At 11, i was denied the purchase by an unmasked, although apologetic staff.

That was a bit strange, i had to go elsewhere for my shopping.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My online order for my 24 bottles of wine at Wine Connection went in at 10am, and it was delivered at 11am.  Never had to lift more than a finger to push the keypad and order, but gosh I am so tired from the entire ordeal....I just uncorked another bottle, going to be a fine Sunday.  I was able to get my run in at lumpini and get my alcohol....

I'm sorry to hear about you being tired from the ordeal of having to order online ... pushing keys ... waiting ... then checkout .... I can understand. I just tell one boy, 2 boxes ... and it's at my door in 30 min.  but yes ... i'm slightly breathless after telling him, but i recovered quickly.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I went to tesco at 10.30, i had a look at the new boxes of leo, and told to come back at 11.

At 11, i was denied the purchase by an unmasked, although apologetic staff.

That was a bit strange, i had to go elsewhere for my shopping.

According to Thai law, elephants are not allowed to purchase and consume alcohol... ????

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

According to Thai law, elephants are not allowed to purchase and consume alcohol... ????

Never heard of such a law, but the next shop i went, they sold me the beer, perhaps i did not look like an elephant to them ????

Nah, i suspect that some local honcho went to tesco in the morning, and purchased the whole stock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Don't even drink since almost 10 years, but was so triggered by the alcohol ban I bought a few today when sales resumed. Don't suppose I'm the only plonky in Thailand that managed to abstain by relying on the fact that I could readily and easily buy it if needed. I used the same technique quitting smoking, always a pack at hand in case, and no dramas it was easy. I'm sure if they ban ciggies I will start smoking them too when available. 

Prohibition sucks.

You better hope they don't ban ladyboys!! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Three kinds of people to never do business with:

Those without a suntan.

Those with no vowels in their names.

Those, who never drink.

I concur. A good swill everyday resets the old hard drive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Don't even drink since almost 10 years, but was so triggered by the alcohol ban I bought a few today when sales resumed. Don't suppose I'm the only plonky in Thailand that managed to abstain by relying on the fact that I could readily and easily buy it if needed. I used the same technique quitting smoking, always a pack at hand in case, and no dramas it was easy. I'm sure if they ban ciggies I will start smoking them too when available. 

Prohibition sucks.

It is how I quit chewing my daily can of Copenhagen See the source imagechewing tobacco.  I just kept putting a full an unopened can in my back pocket.  All i needed to do was feel the can and thump it once or twice, went back into the pocket unopened.  After 6 months was able to just leave the can out of the pocket, and viola I quit.  Much like a friend who kept a bottle cap from his favorite beer in his pocket.  Of course he had it set into a clear epoxy, so its like a small paper weight or challenge coin.  Badge of honor for him really...but I still need my glass of red....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Buffaloes can do .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1