Beer buying experiences, today...

moontang

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Amazed at all the reports about some people desperate to travel, find and buy alchohol.

I bet some had the shakes,been out of alcohol for a couple of weeks,

but i am the same with food.

regards worgeordie

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My online order for my 24 bottles of wine at Wine Connection went in at 10am, and it was delivered at 11am.  Never had to lift more than a finger to push the keypad and order, but gosh I am so tired from the entire ordeal....I just uncorked another bottle, going to be a fine Sunday.  I was able to get my run in at lumpini and get my alcohol....

You were fiddled. They are supposed to drink it for you as well but I guess they were too busy. Better luck next time

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Don't even drink since almost 10 years, but was so triggered by the alcohol ban I bought a few today when sales resumed. Don't suppose I'm the only plonky in Thailand that managed to abstain by relying on the fact that I could readily and easily buy it if needed. I used the same technique quitting smoking, always a pack at hand in case, and no dramas it was easy. I'm sure if they ban ciggies I will start smoking them too when available. 

Prohibition sucks.

Didn't give up booze, just mellowed out more umpteen million years ago before the GD faded after Jerry's passing. Appreciate a case of cold ones when I am drinking.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

They'll be having a busy old day, mine went in at 10:30am, but it probably won't be until Tuesday they'll make it down to Hat Yai.

Beer supplies are fine, wife did a good job of keeping supply levels up during the ban.

I went and played a round of golf today, the golf club was selling beer, only to take with us in the carts. Ridiculously, using the locker room, showers or toilets (don't even ask) was not allowed.

More to the point, Mrs went to our local grog wholesaler, bought plenty of beer and Captain Morgan. Easy as!! Give credit where credit is due, she also did a great job of finding willing vendors during the "ban". Cheers everyone out there in a slightly more happier land!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Right - they don't celebrate. They just do it. 

Smug! You have been a stand up battler as a non drinker during this current campaign and good on you Oldie but I think it's time for you to dial back the snide remarks. Go and follow a Canasta thread or something that you really care about Mate!

Edited by Catkiwi
grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, userabcd said:

Amazed at all the reports about some people desperate to travel, find and buy alchohol.

Send the wife,easy no stress no head ache  :smile: but tell her she is going so she can have a beer too

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yep, pretty sad really ????

I think you're missing the point, people are buying early because the government's U-turn could just U-turn again.

No one really knows what's going on.........

.............and neither does the government really.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

It is not about alcoholism, its about being able to have the freedom to do what you want to do, when you want to. I don't know if you have anything at all that you enjoy doing but if you don't enjoy a cold beer at home then don't question others that do.

Sorry mate to equate having or needing abeer as freedom is a insult to the word. Doing what you want when you want is not freedom it is self indulgent behavior. Enjoy your beer sure you have earned it.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Sorry mate to equate having or needing abeer as freedom is a insult to the word. Doing what you want when you want is not freedom it is self indulgent behavior. Enjoy your beer sure you have earned it.

It is not an insult to the word is is just an example of democracy. So, you don't do what you want, when you want? Perhaps take the kids to play sports, go out for dinner, buy someone a birthday present, buy your self a new pair of underpants (and you should because yours are apparently too bloody tight), nothing? All self indulgent I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have just visited two 7-11s in my area (in Bangkok but bordering Samut Prakarn) that are within walking distance of the house and they're both well stocked with booze. In fact I spoke to the manager at one and he said that beer would be available everyday from now on.  Nothing to worry about at least in Bangkok.

5 hours ago, moontang said:

Thais were buying Heineken, but I noticed the boxes were from 5 January..so not fresh. 

Oh my god, glad you notice it, as you could have died from drinking 4 month old beer.

This is just another example of the superiority complex foreigners in Thailand suffer from, as they think they know everything.

Beer stays good for over a year, probably 2 years.

I also am aware that in a hot climate beer degrades a bit faster, but have you noticed that those shops have air conditioning, so the beer hasn't been in the heat for 4 months?

Ever noticed in your home country you will have a hard time to find beer that is less than 6 months old in the supermarket?

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1

Just watched the evening news with the Mrs..some horrible behaviour on show!

My daughter and son in law were at our local Tesco earlier today for grocery shopping and were nearly trampled by idiots trying to get into the grog section. Most, it seemed were overloading trolleys to stock pile with the hope of re selling, if and when another ban is put in place. Let the madness end!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Oh my god, glad you notice it, as you could have died from drinking 4 month old beer.

This is just another example of the superiority complex foreigners in Thailand suffer from, as they think they know everything.

Ever noticed in your home country you will have a hard time to find beer that is less than 6 months old in the supermarket?

Never.

54 minutes ago, Susco said:

Beer stays good for over a year, probably 2 years.

I also am aware that in a hot climate beer degrades a bit faster, but have you noticed that those shops have air conditioning, so the beer hasn't been in the heat for 4 months?

When I had my Kegerator in the US. the keg would last at least 4 months during the non NFL season, but during the season, I was lucky to go 6 weeks before I needed it restocked.  Not sure if it was the beer or the 65 inch Samsung TV with surround sound or the Kegerator that made the football games all seem awesome...

5 hours ago, Quickmill said:

Me too, better wait for some friends to buy it first and then party at their homes????????????????????????????????

No,    shortage of cheap charlies in the kingdom .

Essan , attracts them , i should know ..

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is how I quit chewing my daily can of Copenhagen See the source imagechewing tobacco.  I just kept putting a full an unopened can in my back pocket.  All i needed to do was feel the can and thump it once or twice, went back into the pocket unopened.  After 6 months was able to just leave the can out of the pocket, and viola I quit.  Much like a friend who kept a bottle cap from his favorite beer in his pocket.  Of course he had it set into a clear epoxy, so its like a small paper weight or challenge coin.  Badge of honor for him really...but I still need my glass of red....

Probably the hardest thing I have done in my entire life was to quit dipping Copenhagen and Skoal, I was dipping a can a day. I'm happy that this technique worked for you... and Congratulations!!