Comparing April 2019 to April 2020: Has there been a significant decrease in the number of ESL teachers in Thailand?

Has anyone come across reliable rough numbers which might answer the question?

Has the number of available ESL teachers in Thailand, teachers coming from other countries, decreased markedly due to travel restrictions from abroad?  Or, have the numbers remained fairly constant?

• Like 1

I have no numbers, but I would suggest there would be less transient teachers here - those that haven't made roots here. My school needs (almost) no new teachers, as most have been in my school several years. One went back to the Phils and cannot get back, yet. Other schools may be in a different position. 

A post with a direct link to another forum has been removed.   Here's the rule:

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

If you wish to mention a site, you can do so, but not a direct link to it.  

It's impossible to answer this question. Many teachers went home for a holiday and are stranded back home.

Neither do schools know who'll come back, nor would a member here know exact numbers. 

But considering the new regulation that more teachers are needed to ensure that high school students have a CEFR level of B 1 at the end of grade 12, there won't be enough teachers around.

Of course, will they then use some Asian teachers, which wouldn't be a wise decision? What Thailand needs are experienced teachers. With or without degrees.

I'd have thought that foreigners who've been teaching here for ten plus years know what they are doing. 

Of course, with exceptions. 

I do not think that hiring Russians, Uzbekistanis, Indians, or other nationals who are very difficult to understand, would be an excellent idea to fill the positions. But that's my own personal opinion. 

5 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

It's impossible to answer this question. Many teachers went home for a holiday and are stranded back home.

Neither do schools know who'll come back, nor would a member here know exact numbers. 

But considering the new regulation that more teachers are needed to ensure that high school students have a CEFR level of B 1 at the end of grade 12, there won't be enough teachers around.

Of course, will they then use some Asian teachers, which wouldn't be a wise decision? What Thailand needs are experienced teachers. With or without degrees.

I'd have thought that foreigners who've been teaching here for ten plus years know what they are doing. 

Of course, with exceptions. 

I do not think that hiring Russians, Uzbekistanis, Indians, or other nationals who are very difficult to understand, would be an excellent idea to fill the positions. But that's my own personal opinion. 

Thanks.  Interesting report from you about new government regs for B1.  Good news, all around, I would say.