Thousands head home as Phuket Check Point opens again

webfact

Thousands head home as Phuket Check Point opens again

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1588499055_1-org.jpg

Thousands of people presented themelves at the Phuket Check Point to leave the island for the home provinces. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Thousands of people started the journey back to their home provinces as the Phuket Check Point leading to the bridge off-island was officially re-opened at 5am today (May 3).

Some 7,000 people have been issued their “Fit to Travel” permits and have been granted permission to leave the island to travel back to their home provinces, said Phuket Provincial Police Chief Maj Gen Rungrote Thakurapunyasiri.

More than 40,000 people have registered to leave the island, mainly due to lack of income as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/thousands-head-home-as-phuket-check-point-opens-again-75948.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-04

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

people have been issued their “Fit to Travel” permits

Who issues these permits?

Going on many peoples' experience of doctors issuing a health certificate for 100 Baht and requiring no examination whatsoever, when applying for work permits, driving licences and the like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Oh boy, that looks like fun! Looks like north Korea.  Why are they all on foot?  

They are in the queue for the desks to get their documentation checked before being allowed to leave in their vehicles.

This photo from 7 a.m. this morning.

96239824_1453731294808440_3734925172877033472_n.jpg

Edited by pagallim
Adding photo.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Who issues these permits?

Going on many peoples' experience of doctors issuing a health certificate for 100 Baht and requiring no examination whatsoever, when applying for work permits, driving licences and the like.

There is no charge for the documentation.

Impressive social distancing (especially sideways) but worry about safety of police and checkers who are largely stationary. Hopefully they get tested both before and after their shifts to assure their safety and others who might subsequently come in contact with them after work, ie., families.

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Impressive social distancing (especially sideways) but worry about safety of police and checkers who are largely stationary. Hopefully they get tested both before and after their shifts to assure their safety and others who might subsequently come in contact with them after work, ie., families.

They'll have their temperatures taken. That will be it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No public transport allowed through the checkpoint?

Not sure about that but some minivans are allowed with the right documentation I do know someone drove to BKK the other day with 6 passengers to the airport, 2 drivers they got to the airport in one day started the drive back as far as they could before the curfew 10pm I think the made it as far as Phetchabun made it back to Phuket yesterday ready to go again this morning.

They tell me it's tourist who have been stranded here the first lot was for a flight back to Spain and today's lot is to Estonia 

• Like 1

On a Thai FB group this morning I saw what looked like a private bus company as they had a couple of them double decker coaches running up to Nakorn Ratchsima total of 48 pax good if he can organise it get these people home but from what my friends tell me the bus company has to get all the names and go to the Ampour get the documents needed who is leaving and who would be coming back

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No public transport allowed through the checkpoint?

They were all leaving in cars, the other 33,000 are not fortunate enough to have a car, or at least know anyone who they can share a car.

I heard that you must give a vehicle registration number when applying for the fit to travel document, most are not able to provide this and are therefore still stuck on the island.