BANGKOK
Leo Walless

UK Passport issues during COVID-19

On 5/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

HMPO are completely separate from the UK Embassy - different government departments.  They may both have been useless in this debacle, but HMPO/VFS closing was a UK decision and affected all their offices globally.  Difficult to blame the Embassy in Bangkok for something that was totally beyond their control.

But what I do believe that this debacle has graphically illustrated is that the concept of "joined-up government", which was being actively espoused by Tony Blair et al 20 years ago, is now, sadly, dead in the water, with each separate component of HMG, including HMPO and the Embassy, being encouraged (tacitly, or otherwise) these days to focus exclusively on the needs of its particular silo with blinkers firmly in place.

Edited by OJAS

Just sent an email to make an appointment next week and only received an auto generated reply.?

At least something is moving at last. I will give it a few more weeks before applying but I have 3 queries.

1) Am I correct in saying VFS let you keep your old passport till the new one arrives?

2) Is there such a thing as an instant passport photo booth/service in or near Trendy Building?

3) It  looks like its changed from 2 trips (one to drop off, second to collect) to one if you pay for a courier for the return new one, or is that only for visa applications?

Thanks

Edited by Saltire

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

At least something is moving at last. I will give it a few more weeks before applying but I have 3 queries.

1) Am I correct in saying VFS let you keep your old passport till the new one arrives?

2) Is there such a thing as an instant passport photo booth/service in or near Trendy Building?

3) It  looks like its changed from 2 trips (one to drop off, second to collect) to one if you pay for a courier for the return new one, or is that only for visa applications?

Thanks

1. Yes  (you present the old one as ID when collecting)

2. Yes (VfS will do for a fee)

3. Always 2 trips if you do it yourself  (courier is only for visas)

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

On the press release visa applicants can book appointments   from 25/26 May. My attempt to book passport renewal 1/ 3/ 5 June just gives an auto reply. So I assume you cannot do it starting 1 June.

4 hours ago, pontious said:

Just sent an email to make an appointment next week and only received an auto generated reply.?

Same here.  Even though it is a few hours drive to BKK I will make the trip this coming Tuesday. That's unless my appointment booking gets answered either today (unlikely) or Monday morning. (probable)

Edited by cheekysailor

58 minutes ago, pontious said:

Can you park at Trendy?

Yes, bikes and cars. Has a multi-storey car park which you access on Soi 13

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Saltire said:

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

2. Yes (VfS will do for a fee)

Good to know that VFS will provide the photos as an optional extra. I strongly suspect that the number of professional photographers across the whole of Thailand who are familiar with HMPO's requirements can be counted on the fingers of one hand - and I'm not sure whether any of these can actually comply with the background colour requirements without recourse to photo-shopping in violation of the "No software altering" rule.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Good to know that VFS will provide the photos as an optional extra. I strongly suspect that the number of professional photographers across the whole of Thailand who are familiar with HMPO's requirements can be counted on the fingers of one hand - and I'm not sure whether any of these can actually comply with the background colour requirements without recourse to photo-shopping in violation of the "No software altering" rule.

I used to take a copy of this to my local Kodak shop....

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements