BANGKOK
Leo Walless

UK Passport issues during COVID-19

On 6/23/2020 at 6:45 AM, cheekysailor said:

Stupid question time.  Do you receive a different DHL tracking number for the return leg of your passports journey?  If so will that be sent to you via email?

If you included a contact telephone number in your application you will receive an SMS from DHL when your passport has been collected from the passport office.

This SMS contains a tracking number and a link to the DHL website where you can check the whereabouts of your passport.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, cheekysailor said:

I was not given a number, but after a couple of emails I have finally been able to locate one.  Documents received and signed for in Liverpool just awaiting my passport return journey.

Did you use the Vfs helpline email to get the tracking number.?

On 6/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Saltire said:

Payment was taken yesterday 23rd - application lodged 16th, arrived Liverpool 18th.

I now know why no payment showing. Left my passport at agent on 3 June. Went back today still there. Will do it myself next week. Which is what I  should have done in the first place of course.

• Like 2

Hi, can I use a courier to pick up my child's passport from VFS?

It will be cheaper than getting a 500km taxi!

Received an email from VFS yesterday stating that my passport was now ready for pick up.  A little over three weeks from start to finish.  Panic over!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, pontious said:

Did you use the Vfs helpline email to get the tracking number.?

I emailed VFS and eventually they sent it to me.

9 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Hi, can I use a courier to pick up my child's passport from VFS?

It will be cheaper than getting a 500km taxi!

You can but this was the list of documents HMPO sent me when I had someone collect my new passport a few years ago;

b.         Please note that passports cannot be couriered. You may however arrange for a third party to collect your passport on your behalf. If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them:

i.          Your previous passport(s) (for cancellation)

ii.         Photo ID of the third party

iii.        An authority letter signed by you giving the third party authorization from you, stating his/her name and that you are permitting him/her to collect the passport on your behalf.

iv.        If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made. 

I collected my new passport from VFS Chiang Mai last Thursday. It is not the new blue colour, but that doesn't concern me. The Bio pages are now at the the front of the passport instead of the back. I went to Immigration on Friday but they wouldn't transfer my stamp. My visa is in date but of course I didn't get my border bounce at the end of May because of the closed borders and my passport in Liverpool. I will just have to carry 2 passports, no big deal, I didn't expect any flexibility from Immigration so I wasn't disappointed.

Just when I thought things were going smoothly ...............................

Visited VFS on June 16, waiting on word to collect new passport when I got an email from Liverpool asking for extra documents.

I have 2 UK passports and it's causing confusion now.

I no longer need a second passport and it expires this December so I was planning on letting it expire. Unfortunately to issue a new passport I still have to justify having two, which is now not possible as it requires a letter from an employer stating why. I am retired 8 years and don't need a second one, but they will not issue a new one without a letter, as for a while I would still be holding two.

Problem is they are no longer responding to emails and I have been unable to get through on their support line to discuss. I got through once but the service person had no clue about two passports and could not get me through to the progress team.

The support number has a queue time of 3 or 4 minutes but after 3 you get forced into their callback service. I left my number but no one has called yet.

I am hoping this suggestion will work but I don't know. I want them to send my new passport to VFS and before they issue it to me I will have them void both my current passports, leaving me with one new one, thus avoiding an additional 12 hour round trip to Bangkok.

If I could just get through to discuss this it may work, but will common sense prevail? Who knows.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, ImageDude said:

I collected my new passport from VFS Chiang Mai last Thursday. It is not the new blue colour, but that doesn't concern me. The Bio pages are now at the the front of the passport instead of the back. I went to Immigration on Friday but they wouldn't transfer my stamp. My visa is in date but of course I didn't get my border bounce at the end of May because of the closed borders and my passport in Liverpool. I will just have to carry 2 passports, no big deal, I didn't expect any flexibility from Immigration so I wasn't disappointed.

It is normal to have to carry 2 passports (for traveling) until you get your next visa. 

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

I am hoping this suggestion will work but I don't know. I want them to send my new passport to VFS and before they issue it to me I will have them void both my current passports, leaving me with one new one, thus avoiding an additional 12 hour round trip to Bangkok.

I strongly suspect that HMPO may well insist on you sending them your second passport for cancellation before they are prepared to issue a replacement for the passport being renewed (which they will cancel automatically in any event as part of the process).

Just now, hotandsticky said:

It is normal to have to carry 2 passports (for traveling) until you get your next visa. 

Yes, because the new passport is just blank, ie. no entry stamp. The Immigration Office wouldn't  transfer the stamp from my old passport because my permission to stay has expired (90 days) at the end of May, although my Visa is valid until August, no flexibility. It was the IO that suggested I carry 2 passports to avoid any possible problems. The same thing happened 10 years when I renewed my passport in Thailand. I showed 2 passports when I did my border bounce and everything was fine. When I got my new visa it was just put into the new passport and I was able to ditch the old one. This time I can't do a border bounce, all I can do is wait and see what happens with the amnesty!

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

I strongly suspect that HMPO may well insist on you sending them your second passport for cancellation before they are prepared to issue a replacement for the passport being renewed (which they will cancel automatically in any event as part of the process).

I fear you may be corrrect.

I have made the suggestion to void both passports when the new one arrives but it looks like another 600 km round trip is on the cards.

Am pretty sure I won't be allowed to mail it to VFS either, may not be a good idea as it may not arrive.

Waiting on response to my email now.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, ImageDude said:

I am not completely finished with HMPO as there are still issues which need addressing and have sent this final letter to Abi Tierney's office. 

Has your complaint been resolved?

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I fear you may be corrrect.

I have made the suggestion to void both passports when the new one arrives but it looks like another 600 km round trip is on the cards.

Am pretty sure I won't be allowed to mail it to VFS either, may not be a good idea as it may not arrive.

Waiting on response to my email now.

You may not need to make a further 600km round trip since HMPO's Liverpool office could be amenable to your sending your second passport direct to them by DHL courier.

• Like 1