BANGKOK
Leo Walless

UK Passport issues during COVID-19

Posted (edited)

Unbelievably the saga goes on.

On Friday the 10th I took the reluctant second trip to VFS in Bangkok as requested and handed in my second passport which was DHL'd to Liverpool, arriving 13th.

Email today suggesting I send BOTH my passports to Liverpool, leaving me with no valid passport. I politely refused and have asked them, again politely, to complete my renewal.

Honestly losing the will to live now!

Today's email

Thank you for your email in regards to your application,

I have spoken to my manager and we have decided that the best option for you is that you forward both of the passports you hold now with a cover explaining that you no longer require an additional passport. We need them so we can cancel them on our system. Once this has been done we can then pass your application for issue and send your new passport to the VFS in Bangkok.

Please forward your passports to the addressee below

Kindest regards

<Name Redacted>

OVS UK 1

HMPO LIVERPOOL

101 OLD HALL STREET

L39BP

Edited by blackcab
Name edited out

33 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I have spoken to my manager and we have decided that the best option for you is that you forward both of the passports you hold now with a cover explaining that you no longer require an additional passport.

No it is not!!. His best option is to cancel the one he sent you and asked to cancel,  and  complete his other passport renewal of which he sent a complete copy i.a.w the rules for Thailand. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, cheekysailor said:

Received an email from VFS yesterday stating that my passport was now ready for pick up.  A little over three weeks from start to finish.  Panic over!

I submitted an application for a new passport for my newborn on Monday. Wondering how long it's taking people at the moment to get it back?

Doesn't seem to be too many mentions of time periods. Anyone have any other recent experiences of time it took from application at VFS Bangkok to having passport in hands in Bangkok?

15 minutes ago, marsenal said:

Anyone have any other recent experiences of time it took from application at VFS Bangkok to having passport in hands in Bangkok?

Applied  at VFS Wed  1 July

Arrived HMPO  Friday  3 July

Money from card Mon 6 July

SMS from DHL  left HMPO Mon 13 July

Arrived  VFS  Wed   15 July

4 days in transit

5 working days to complete. Remarkable.

Pick it up tomorrow.

Be warned - when the passport gets back to VFS they will send an SMS to say you can collect from 9am to 2pm. Mon - Fri

They are only open Mon Wed  Fri !!

On 7/15/2020 at 5:43 PM, pontious said:

No it is not!!. His best option is to cancel the one he sent you and asked to cancel,  and  complete his other passport renewal of which he sent a complete copy i.a.w the rules for Thailand. Unbelievable.

Indeed! Mr Bannon and his manager are clearly yet more moronic idiots in HMPO's Customer Services Department who are blissfully ignorant of HMPO's own particular requirements for renewing passports from Thailand. If @Saltire were to accede to this demand he could find himself in deep, deep doo-dah were the passport containing his Thai stamps to go MIA in HMPO's Liverpool Office as happened with @ImageDude and reported earlier in this thread.

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

Indeed! Mr Bannon and his manager are clearly yet more moronic idiots in HMPO's Customer Services Department who are blissfully ignorant of HMPO's own particular requirements for renewing passports from Thailand. If @Saltire were to accede to this demand he could find himself in deep, deep doo-dah were the passport containing his Thai stamps to go MIA in HMPO's Liverpool Office as happened with @ImageDude and reported earlier in this thread.

Received a very apologetic email last night telling me my new passport wil be at VFS within 7 to 10 days. Said the internal mail takes 3 days from arrival at the office to get to the desk of the addressee. Slick.

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

"As part of its contingency arrangements, HM Passport Office is rapidly increasing its capacity for processing passport applications, in line with public health guidance, which will help to ensure it continues to meet the travel needs of its customers."

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Key phrase of interest to overseas applicants:

Overseas applicants who have an urgent need to travel will, as usual, be able to approach the Foreign & Commonwealth Office for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD). Where HMPO has had a passport application for 2 weeks longer than normal service standards, it will invite customers to contact us to arrange a refund of the cost of the ETD.

Her Majesty's Passport Office update on passport applications

On 7/17/2020 at 9:39 AM, Saltire said:

Received a very apologetic email last night telling me my new passport wil be at VFS within 7 to 10 days. Said the internal mail takes 3 days from arrival at the office to get to the desk of the addressee. Slick.

Has it arrived yet?

1 minute ago, pontious said:

Has it arrived yet?

The saga continues.

It arrived in Bangkok on the 27th but as 27 and 28 were holidays did not get delivered till the 29th. I emailed on the 29th to request an appointment for Monday 3rd to collect.

Unbeliveably the response was - sorry HMPO have not sent you the Jumbo one you requested and paid for. Please send us proof of what you paid and if it was 128.51 (jumbo) we will return this and request a new larger one.

I am sick of this and so I told them NOT to return it I will live with the 32 page one, not the 50 page I asked for. The money difference is less then 10 quid but no offer to reimburse as yet.

I got a confirmation to go on Monday to VFS and collect. Who knows if it will be there!

I have a 6 hour drive each way to VFS so one more show of incompetence will be the last straw.

I have to say none of this problem lies with VFS, they do everything expected of them.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Saltire said:

The saga continues.

It arrived in Bangkok on the 27th but as 27 and 28 were holidays did not get delivered till the 29th. I emailed on the 29th to request an appointment for Monday 3rd to collect.

Unbeliveably the response was - sorry HMPO have not sent you the Jumbo one you requested and paid for. Please send us proof of what you paid and if it was 128.51 (jumbo) we will return this and request a new larger one.

I am sick of this and so I told them NOT to return it I will live with the 32 page one, not the 50 page I asked for. The money difference is less then 10 quid but no offer to reimburse as yet.

I got a confirmation to go on Monday to VFS and collect. Who knows if it will be there!

I have a 6 hour drive each way to VFS so one more show of incompetence will be the last straw.

I have to say none of this problem lies with VFS, they do everything expected of them.

Thanks. We are going Monday to pick up my wife's passport. I agree that the passport office is the problem. You are nearly there.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

The saga continues.

You don't have to drive 6 hours each way, you can appoint a third party to collect for you.

Easy to arrange.

• Like 1