BANGKOK
Leo Walless

UK Passport issues during COVID-19

On 7/31/2020 at 10:18 AM, Saltire said:

Unbeliveably the response was - sorry HMPO have not sent you the Jumbo one you requested and paid for.

"And this week's winner of the HMPO Brazen Incompetence Award goes to...."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

That is my experience also, VFS aren't the problem. You will have a 12-hour drive to spend no more than 10 minutes going into Trendy House, up in the lift, receive your passport, down in the lift again and out, because of a stupid system and an uncaring and thoroughly incompetent government department.

It has been appalling service from HMPO  (they WILL get better, they have done before).

But let's not make a drama out of a crisis.................there is no need for a 12 hour round trip - 1,000 Baht would secure the services of someone to collect the passport and send by EMS to the applicant's Thai address. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

It has been appalling service from HMPO  (they WILL get better, they have done before).

But let's not make a drama out of a crisis.................there is no need for a 12 hour round trip - 1,000 Baht would secure the services of someone to collect the passport and send by EMS to the applicant's Thai address. 

I am nowhere near any agent; they would have to drive the 6 hours here to get my old passport and a letter of authorisation. Not an option for me. And after all the problems it's not leaving my sight.

On the return trip I will go direct to the Kanchanaburi visa office (3 hours) to move my stamps and do a 90 day report with the new passport number, so I can get that over with same trip, then drive the rest of the way home.

I will also take advantage and do a big shop at Makro and BigC.

I had no objection doing 2 trips to Bangkok, but it's turned into 3 now. It's not a crisis it's a pain in the ar*e.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am nowhere near any agent; they would have to drive the 6 hours here to get my old passport and a letter of authorisation. Not an option for me. And after all the problems it's not leaving my sight.

On the return trip I will go direct to the Kanchanaburi visa office (3 hours) to move my stamps and do a 90 day report with the new passport number, so I can get that over with same trip, then drive the rest of the way home.

I had no objection doing 2 trips to Bangkok, but it's turned into 3 now. It's not a crisis it's a pain in the ar*e.

All done by EMS post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

All done by EMS post.

I am sure that is an option. I expect posters @ImageDude and @Saltire worked, is working  on the theory that if anything else can go wrong - it will.!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pontious said:

I am sure that is an option. I expect posters @ImageDude and @Saltire worked, is working  on the theory that if anything else can go wrong - it will.!

You got that spot on 🙂 What can possibly go wrong tomorrow 😞

I won't relax till I have the new one in my hands.

Then I have to deal with immigration, then my bank, then the DLT 😞 to change the number.

Oh joy.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

If you have internet and a postal address, the agent is only as far way as your letterbox.

You DO have a letterbox I assume?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Saltire said:

You got that spot on 🙂 What can possibly go wrong tomorrow 😞

I won't relax till I have the new one in my hands.

Then I have to deal with immigration, then my bank, then the DLT 😞 to change the number.

Oh joy.

I hope you have more success than me, but Immigration would not transfer my stamps, nor would they give me a Residency Certificate or a 60 day extension for being married to a Thai. All because my permission to stay had expired on May 30th. The fact that I had no passport until the 3rd of July and the borders were closed at that time anyway had no relevance as far as they were concerned. Also my Visa was valid until August 2nd. According to the lady officer I had the misfortune to deal with, the amnesty means NO PAY FINE, everything else YOU OVERSTAY. However, extending my stay for one year by reason of sufficient funds in the bank was okay. My passport renewal from the start was nothing short of a nightmare! As, has already been said, thank goodness it is only once every 10 years!

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you have internet and a postal address, the agent is only as far way as your letterbox.

You DO have a letterbox I assume?

Yes I do, and a small Thai Post office (house) a short walk. My passport is going nowhere by post at this stage, or ever unless its DHL or similar.

15 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I hope you have more success than me, but Immigration would not transfer my stamps, nor would they give me a Residency Certificate or a 60 day extension for being married to a Thai. All because my permission to stay had expired on May 30th. The fact that I had no passport until the 3rd of July and the borders were closed at that time anyway had no relevance as far as they were concerned. Also my Visa was valid until August 2nd. According to the lady officer I had the misfortune to deal with, the amnesty means NO PAY FINE, everything else YOU OVERSTAY. However, extending my stay for one year by reason of sufficient funds in the bank was okay. My passport renewal from the start was nothing short of a nightmare! As, has already been said, thank goodness it is only once every 10 years!

I should be OK I think.

My IO has never provided a certificate of residence - twice I have had to go to Bangkok (again) to the British Embassy for that for driving licences. My local DLT also insist it's from the embassy so even if I could obtain one from immigration they do not accept it. Lucky I renewed 5 year in February, don't expect to be driving in 5 years.

I am on a valid extension of stay till 28 November (retirement/money in bank) and will renew around end October.

I do my 90 days for the last 3 years online and it's due now. My latest concern is online has proved problematic for some with new passport, so I am hoping doing this one in person tomorrow will avoid any future online report issues.

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes I do, and a small Thai Post office (house) a short walk. My passport is going nowhere by post at this stage, or ever unless its DHL or similar.

Then, with respect Saltire, because you have suffered badly) you are the architect of your own obstacles. Go to Bangkok if you wish and do not complain about the length of the trip.

If you don't want to travel then the option for 3rd party collection and reliable, insured EMS post is the answer.

I am indirectly involved in handling circa 50 British passports per year and EMS haven't lost one yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

That's entirely up to you but Thailand Post EMS is very good, secure and reliable.

• Like 1