UK Passport issues during COVID-19

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yep, how dare those reprobates with imminently-expiring passports do anything other than heap fulsome praise on the With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience to the very highest heavens as if it was the best thing since sliced bread. All the more reason for this to be done, of course, while its delights are not available to be savoured and appreciated by one and all.

Just take a look at that poster's avatar and know that it's how I feel every time I read one of his posts. He's nothing but a WUM and should be given a stern warning by the mod in my opinion. I've reported his post.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Just take a look at that poster's avatar and know that it's how I feel every time I read one of his posts. He's nothing but a WUM and should be given a stern warning by the mod in my opinion. I've reported his post.

Don't rise to the bait. Simply put the poster on your ignore list and you will not be bothered again.

This is a public forum where many people have an opinion, as is their right, if you don't agree with an opinion maybe follow the previous advice and ignore.

If Forum Rules are broken, then action will be taken. 

19 hours ago, hotandsticky said:
gov.uk_logotype_crown.png GOV.UK

COVID-19: In line with public health guidance, we continue to work with fewer staff. We are still unable to advise when a passport will be issued if your application is successful, and are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please do not contact us about progress: we will process your application as soon as we can.

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

On 5/4/2020 at 10:15 AM, pontious said:

There is no alternative offered. HMPO is working with limited staff so any passport application is taking longer.

They offer the following advice.

1. Wait for VFS to open.

2. Apply foe an ETD - not possible if no travel plans.

3. Contact the British Embassy for local advice.

I did 3. There advice was contact HMPO !!!!!

The only correct one is 1.

Those in charge of passport renewal, seemingly no matter what the country might be, are all birds of a feather

They have no need to worry about renewing their own passports, one presumes.

And so why, then, should they worry about us renewing ours?

Same with the US passport renewal:

Out to lunch, or nobody home.

2 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:
2 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

There is no alternative offered. HMPO is working with limited staff so any passport application is taking longer.

They offer the following advice.

1. Wait for VFS to open.

2. Apply foe an ETD - not possible if no travel plans.

3. Contact the British Embassy for local advice.

I did 3. There advice was contact HMPO !!!!!

The only correct one is 1.

Likewise, I followed the same procedure a couple of weeks ago, taking advice from the British consular I completed a complaint form. (great advice!) Then another one a few days later.... Then again.... Then again.  So far four complaints have been sent not one has been addressed.

In addition, I followed procedures followed by the video above using the email address given. as of yet no answer. Hopefully, I will hear something this week.

The only advice been given is was by the consular hotline which was: give up your job, your house, your pets, car etc and any other assets you have in Thailand for an indefinite period. Fly back to the UK as soon as possible On arrival back to the UK you 'may' be able to apply for a government loan to help you repatriate. (again shifting you onto another department) but we advise you to move in with family, who in my case are distant cousins  of whom I have not spoke to your for over five years, then it was only fleeting 'hello'. 
               Once  you have repaid the government loan you can apply for a passport.  Unfortunately, they were unaware that I would not be able to 'legally' apply for a UK bank loan as I do not 'legally' have a fixed home address.  Nor can I apply for a job as for the same reasons. So how do they expect me to repay the loan. It was then they suggested to release my assets in Thailand. In what only can be described as a dire market, thus losing thousands.

Or there is the the second option... Wait!

Thanks consular, it is pleasing to see that you are doing a stellar job and you are providing the correct advice such as applying for an 'overseas passport via post' a system that does not exist here in Thailand . With your comforting words, of 'it is not a consular problem but an HMPO problem. I am glad that I  sleep under the comfort blanket that you provide to British citizens during these troubled times.  Moreover, I take heed from your telephone messages and understand that we are living in unprecedented times and I treat the staff the same way that I am treated.

By the way, HMPO pretty much gave the same response exempt for selling my assets, instead I I was hit with a long pause of deafening silence before they said, 'Presently sir, this is consular issue.' 

2 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Anyone repeatedly seeing this prompt.

image.png

I have just sent a test email on yahoo mail and got an auto reply a few minutes later. Have you sent one today.? No full stop after uk.

Edited by pontious

10 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

The 64 million dollar question is................

Why is is still closed?

Low demand plus social distancing issues.

10 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

And why did it ever close in the first place?

Low demand plus social distancing issues.

9 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Those in charge of passport renewal, seemingly no matter what the country might be, are all birds of a feather

They have no need to worry about renewing their own passports, one presumes.

And so why, then, should they worry about us renewing ours?

Same with the US passport renewal:

Out to lunch, or nobody home.

With extremely limited international travel choices and currently no way of entering Thailand, what's the rush?

2 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Anyone repeatedly seeing this prompt.

image.png

6 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Likewise, I followed the same procedure a couple of weeks ago, taking advice from the British consular I completed a complaint form. (great advice!) Then another one a few days later.... Then again.... Then again.  So far four complaints have been sent not one has been addressed.

Maybe only those relentlessly carpet bombing their inbox?

12 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Social distancing issues?

Have you seen everywhere else in BKK?

Absolutely thronging with people 

No, I am in Udon which never really locked down but started 'thronging' yesterday.

So, having sunk my social distancing theory, we are left with low demand ie. non-essential.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

With extremely limited international travel choices and currently no way of entering Thailand, what's the rush?

Because people want to renew for there next extension. They do not want to travel anywhere.

You seem to be the death knell for most threads you reply to. If you have nothing constructive to add why bother.

• Like 2

I called the HMPO yesterday.

I booked a visa renewal appointment at the Glasgow passport office through an approved agent in January for 26 May as my ticket home was this week, now cancelled of course.

I wanted to chance my arm for a refund or a new date, but to be honest I am unlikely to go to the UK now, and prefer to wait till the VFS office reopens. I had not received the expected email or SMS 'nearer the time' confirming the appointment, which is why I called. I did not want to be a 'no show'.

Anyway, I spoke to a girl who was very helpful but could find no trace of my appointment. She suggested I speak to their management in another office and transferred me. I spoke to a second very helpful girl who took my email and Thai telephone number and promised to investigate.

Three things came out of this call.

1 Due to Covid they are now authorising refunds for fees, which is a change in policy. If they can find my details I may get a refund.

2 They told me all appointments in their system have effectively been cancelled until further notice and

3 They have no information on when VFS and other countries offices will re-open.

After this I tried to call the agency who I fear are either scammers or have been caught out with Covid and not been able to pass my appointment details and payment to HMPO. No answer to their (£1.50 per minute) support number.

I also emailed them but I don't hold out much hope. Paid the fee with my UK visa card so will probably ring them and see if they are able to credit me. I have kind of mentally written the fee off, but not ready to give up yet.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I booked a visa renewal appointment at the Glasgow passport office through an approved agent in January for 26 May as my ticket home was this week, now cancelled of course.

I assume you meant a passport renewal? I had no idea that HMPO in the UK had approved agents that do passport renewal appointment bookings. Last time I looked, it was a DIY job best done online, email or phone by the applicant.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Anyway, I spoke to a girl who was very helpful but could find no trace of my appointment.

Maybe the approved agent didn't make any booking?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I assume you meant a passport renewal? I had no idea that HMPO in the UK had approved agents that do passport renewal appointment bookings. Last time I looked, it was a DIY job best done online, email or phone by the applicant.

Maybe the approved agent didn't make any booking?

There are a few who offer additional services like being able to book more than 21 days in advance.

Yes, as I said maybe they have not passed on the booking and payment to HMPO.

14 hours ago, pontious said:

Because people want to renew for there next extension. They do not want to travel anywhere.

You seem to be the death knell for most threads you reply to. If you have nothing constructive to add why bother.

A very good point. I can appreciate that some long-stay foreigners are simply trying to keep things going as if it was all normal. FWIW, I am in that same boat having just missed the deadline on getting the visa I required last March and only getting back into Thailand about 72-hours before they closed the borders. So I am home here with my family at the whim of Thai Immigration, CAAT and the airlines. It's not the most comfortable situation I have ever found myself in but it certainly isn't the most perilous.

Unfortunately, things are no longer normal and when the ease of visas, extensions, passports and even air travel are all compromised at the same time, it's maybe time to face that reality. As the perpetual glass-half-full kinda person, I would like to think that Thai Immigration will eventually afford some leniency to those who clearly show that their extension was stalled due to an expired passport and no possible way of getting a new one in time. Others with a more jaded opinion on their hosts are free to disagree if it makes them happier.

As a footnote, I have noticed that some guttering threads are mercifully extinguished after I comment. I see this one only has 6 pages so it has a long life ahead of it, albeit an unrewarding one.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, Saltire said:

There are a few who offer additional services like being able to book more than 21 days in advance.

Yes, as I said maybe they have not passed on the booking and payment to HMPO.

So what have these "wonderful" agents got to say as regards this booking? Looks to me like incompetence and ineptitude is contagious among those with a finger in the UK passport renewal pie!

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

So what have these "wonderful" agents got to say as regards this booking? Looks to me like incompetence and ineptitude is contagious among those with a finger in the UK passport renewal pie!

Who said they were wonderful? Not I.

I also said I can get no respose from them via telephone or emai and am now suspecting severe incompetence or scammers.

I have pretty much written it off and am waiting patiently for news from VFS Global.

19 hours ago, Saltire said:

Who said they were wonderful? Not I.

I was being sarcastic!

I do, however, wonder whether it might be worth your while taking our Ambassador up on his recent invitation for those with difficulties with their passport situation to email the Embassy? I personally wouldn't be banking on the VFS offices reopening any time soon - and, in typical Home Office fashion, the needs of Thai nationals for UK visas will, in all probability, prove to be the crucial factor in determining when this will happen, rather than those of longstay Brits with expiring (or expired) passports.

https://www.facebook.com/ukinthailand/videos/241012710327189/

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

I was being sarcastic!

I do, however, wonder whether it might be worth your while taking our Ambassador up on his recent invitation for those with difficulties with their passport situation to email the Embassy? I personally wouldn't be banking on the VFS offices reopening any time soon - and, in typical Home Office fashion, the needs of Thai nationals for UK visas will, in all probability, prove to be the crucial factor in determining when this will happen, rather than those of longstay Brits with expiring (or expired) passports.

https://www.facebook.com/ukinthailand/videos/241012710327189/

Several emails have been sent to the Embassy already. Standard response received

Due to Coronavirus our partner agency, VFS has closed. This means you are currently unable to renew your passport within Thailand.

The British Embassy is aware of the severity of the situation of British Nationals who are unable to renew their passports within Thailand. We have raised the issue with Her Majesty’s Passport Office. The need for a sustainable passport service to be available to British Nationals overseas has been recognised and Her Majesty’s Passport Office are working on a solution to this. If and when a solution has been found and agreed with Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Thailand we will contact all affected persons.

If your passport will expire before a solution has been agreed you will need to consider returning to UK to renew your passport.

The application and renewal of British Passports is owned by Her Majesty’s Passport Office. Until a solution has been found and cascaded to Embassies around the world, the British Embassy is unable to assist.

You can contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office directly on:

Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222

You can also use the online enquiry form for general advice or to make a complaint.

I apologize that the Embassy cannot be of more assistance.

It is advisable to sign up to our Thailand Travel Advice and UK in Thailand Twitter and/or Facebook pages for regular updates.

Kind Regards

British Embassy Bangkok

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Due to Coronavirus our partner agency, VFS has closed. This means you are currently unable to renew your passport within Thailand.

I am beginning to wonder if VFS will ever reopen. Surely with the low incidence of Coronavirus cases in Thailand it cannot be responsible for this prolonged closure! Maybe HMPO are looking for a permanant alternative to VFS.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I am beginning to wonder if VFS will ever reopen. Surely with the low incidence of Coronavirus cases in Thailand it cannot be responsible for this prolonged closure! Maybe HMPO are looking for a permanant alternative to VFS.

If that is the case why don't they just use their loaf and send them back to either the Embassy or to our Thai private addresses?

PATHETIC 

• Like 2