UK Passport issues during COVID-19

29 minutes ago, cheekysailor said:

I handed all my documents to VFS this Thursday. Although I was given the checklist it does not contain a checking number.

Keep an eye on the statement from your payment card provider. That's the next indication your application is progressing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Keep an eye on the statement from your payment card provider. That's the next indication your application is progressing.

This was my thought.  How long does it usually take before they take funds out of your account? The lady at VFS also said that if they have any difficulties they would contact me via email.

Edited by cheekysailor

8 minutes ago, cheekysailor said:

This was my thought.  How long does it usually take before they take funds out of your account? The lady at VFS also said that if they have any difficulties they would contact me via email.

In more normal times it would be within a week or so. I waited about a month this time though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

I have an appointment this week and the confirmation letter says floor 28, but all other media shows floor 8?

Which floor is the right one for passports?

Thanks

Unless it's changed post-Covid closure, Floor 28 is for visas, while Floor 8 is for UK passport renewals/applications.  They'll tell you when you arrive at the building.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:54 PM, Upnotover said:

Will they be blue or red I wonder.

Red, but the words "European Union" have been removed from the front cover. Other than the gold foil printing on the front cover the newly issued passport looks identical both inside and outside.

20200609_153702.thumb.jpg.48b04dc68969d57b721542e16dfea777.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:21 AM, ImageDude said:

It seems that Abi Tierney's office really does have some teeth. I received a second email yesterday from a very nice lady at the HMPO Customer Resolution Team stating that she had requested that HMPO Liverpool send her a full review of my passport application including any and all correspondence. She will contact me again next Tuesday, hopefully with some kind of result. I also received an email from HMPO Liverpool stating that my new passport had been printed on June 1st and was awaiting pick up by the courier, it will be delivered to the application centre, so maybe they have word that the Chiang Mai office is about to reopen. Still no mention of the whereabouts of my old passport, but maybe the Customer Resolution Team will uncover that mystery. I now have the correct email for Abi Tierney's Office and I also have a named contact at HMPO Customer Complaint Resolution Team. I am not going to post them here, but if any of you guys run into problems with your applications please feel free to PM me and I will give you the information, but only if you are having problems.  Peace.

Update: I received another email yesterday from HMPO Customer Resolution Team. Their investigation and review of my application has revealed, so far, that HMPO Liverpool ironically have lost my old passport! So, the investigation is continuing. I really don't know what happens now. I guess it was just my misfortune to run into a whole bunch of incompetent fools masquerading as intelligent beings.  Peace

Edited by ImageDude

51 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

Update: I received another email yesterday from HMPO Customer Resolution Team. Their investigation and review of my application has revealed, so far, that HMPO Liverpool ironically have lost my old passport! So, the investigation is continuing. I really don't know what happens now. I guess it was just my misfortune to run into a whole bunch of incompetent fools masquerading as intelligent beings.  Peace

They always quote security when asked why they can,t send to home address. Then HMPO received your passport and promptly lose it. Unbelievable. So much for there security.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pontious said:

They always quote security when asked why they can,t send to home address. Then HMPO received your passport and promptly lose it. Unbelievable. So much for there security.

In the absence of my old passport, my local Immigration Office has told me that they cannot transfer my details from old to new passport by only using a photocopy of my old passport. Unless they receive orders to the contrary from upon high. Then they will treat me as being in breach of their laws and act accordingly! 

2 hours ago, ImageDude said:

In the absence of my old passport, my local Immigration Office has told me that they cannot transfer my details from old to new passport by only using a photocopy of my old passport. Unless they receive orders to the contrary from upon high. Then they will treat me as being in breach of their laws and act accordingly! 

Why not do a police report on the old passport and present that to Immigration

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Why not do a police report on the old passport and present that to Immigration

I already asked about that and was told that because my passport was not lost in Thailand, then it has nothing to do with them. HMPO has got me into this mess because of their incompetence and subsequent dereliction of duty. Henceforth they have a responsibility to resolve it. I have sent two more emails this morning one to HMPO and one to my MP notifying them of my now precarious position in Thailand.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I already asked about that and was told that because my passport was not lost in Thailand, then it has nothing to do with them. HMPO has got me into this mess because of their incompetence and subsequent dereliction of duty. Henceforth they have a responsibility to resolve it. I have sent two more emails this morning one to HMPO and one to my MP notifying them of my now precarious position in Thailand.

I would still get a police report, stating that the PP was lost in transit between Thailand and UK.

3 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Not just future IO problems.

Could VFS refuse to hand over your new passport (when available in Thailand) due to not having the old one in your possession that 'regulations' dictate should have the corners snipped before handing over the new one?  Although having a police report should  solve that issue, then again.........

Be prepared for all eventualities.......

5 hours ago, ImageDude said:

HMPO signed the DHL to say they had received your passport so it is there somewhere. As they have sent your new passport they probably think there is no urgency to find it. Have you still got time to email Abi,s office to ask them to urgently find your passport. They will not be aware of the immigration mess they have got you into. If found the corners can be cut so there is no security problem to sending it top priority by DHL to your home address. There incompetence has got you into this complete nightmare.. Find your passport and send it direct to you.

Edited by pontious

1 hour ago, pontious said:

HMPO signed the DHL to say they had received your passport so it is there somewhere. As they have sent your new passport they probably think there is no urgency to find it. Have you still got time to email Abi,s office to ask them to urgently find your passport. They will not be aware of the immigration mess they have got you into. If found the corners can be cut so there is no security problem to sending it top priority by DHL to your home address. There incompetence has got you into this complete nightmare.. Find your passport and send it direct to you.

I received an email last night from the customer resolution team stating that so far my old passport has not been found however a 'Full Office Search' is still ongoing. Bear in mind that this search has been going on since last Friday, how difficult can it be?  I have sent out further emails today and am awaiting replies. They are well aware of the problems I will face at Immigration, I repeatedly informed them about those consequences in almost every email. It became clear early on in the proceedings that I was dealing with incompetents, so I made it my business to ensure they knew all about it. But you already are aware that they just disregarded everything I told them. I have kept a log of all correspondence and I am compiling quite a damning report that will be submitted to all concerned, whatever the final outcome is.

Edited by ImageDude

18 hours ago, ImageDude said:

I received an email last night from the customer resolution team stating that so far my old passport has not been found however a 'Full Office Search' is still ongoing. Bear in mind that this search has been going on since last Friday, how difficult can it be?  I have sent out further emails today and am awaiting replies. They are well aware of the problems I will face at Immigration, I repeatedly informed them about those consequences in almost every email. It became clear early on in the proceedings that I was dealing with incompetents, so I made it my business to ensure they knew all about it. But you already are aware that they just disregarded everything I told them. I have kept a log of all correspondence and I am compiling quite a damning report that will be submitted to all concerned, whatever the final outcome is.

Well, if it does transpire that your old passport has disappeared down some black hole in HMPO's Liverpool office never to be seen again, then the very least that those bungling incompetent cretinous clowns should IMHO do is proactively to intercede with Immigration here, through the Thai Embassy in London, to get your stay here regularised.

12 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Well, if it does transpire that your old passport has disappeared down some black hole in HMPO's Liverpool office never to be seen again, then the very least that those bungling incompetent cretinous clowns should IMHO do is proactively to intercede with Immigration here, through the Thai Embassy in London, to get your stay here regularised.

Latest news from HMPO: I made further enqiries about the whereabouts of my OLD passport last night and received the following email. I am now convinced that HMPO employ people with reading difficulties.

HM Passport Office <[email protected]>

I was never sent any tracking information for this!
Wed 10/06/2020 13:10
To:

Dear Mr Ross 

Thank you for your enquiry. 

I can confirm that your passport was printed on the 01/06/2020 and should be with you shortly. 

It arrived at the Visa Application Centre via DHL on Friday 5th June at 14.28pm, however as the all VAC’s are closed at the moment there may be a delay before you receive your passport

Please allow up to 10 working days for delivery. Any supporting documents will be returned separately, therefore, please allow additional time for them to arrive.

If you require any further information, please contact us via e-mail: [email protected]  or call us on +44 (0)300 222 0000, Text Relay Prefix 18001

Please ensure the application reference number is included in any email correspondences sent to us.

Kind Regards,

XXXXXXXX

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

10 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

Latest news from HMPO: I made further enqiries about the whereabouts of my OLD passport last night and received the following email. I am now convinced that HMPO employ people with reading difficulties.

HM Passport Office <[email protected]>

I was never sent any tracking information for this!
Wed 10/06/2020 13:10
To:

Dear Mr Ross 

Thank you for your enquiry. 

I can confirm that your passport was printed on the 01/06/2020 and should be with you shortly. 

It arrived at the Visa Application Centre via DHL on Friday 5th June at 14.28pm, however as the all VAC’s are closed at the moment there may be a delay before you receive your passport

Please allow up to 10 working days for delivery. Any supporting documents will be returned separately, therefore, please allow additional time for them to arrive.

If you require any further information, please contact us via e-mail: [email protected]  or call us on +44 (0)300 222 0000, Text Relay Prefix 18001

Please ensure the application reference number is included in any email correspondences sent to us.

Kind Regards,

XXXXXXXX

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

Words fail me!

Could you please remind us of your current immigration status here (and apologies if you have already mentioned this in this and other relevant threads)? If, say, you were a retiree or spouse of a Thai national, then I wonder whether it might be worth your while exploring with your local immigration office the possibility of them granting a non-O visa conversion in your new passport, to enable you to start afresh with annual extensions in due course?

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Words fail me!

Could you please remind us of your current immigration status here (and apologies if you have already mentioned this in this and other relevant threads)? If, say, you were a retiree or spouse of a Thai national, then I wonder whether it might be worth your while exploring with your local immigration office the possibility of them granting a non-O visa conversion in your new passport, to enable you to start afresh with annual extensions in due course?

I have already made extensive enquiries at the Local Immigration. At best they were unhelpful. Without my old passport, unless they are instructed from above they will view it for what is. No passport, No help. End of.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ImageDude said:

One of my passports was printed on the 1st June and was delivered to VFS Trendy on 5th June. VFS called me the same day my passport arrived to arrange a collection date and time.

I also got two separate tracking SMS messages from DHL giving an online tracking link.

Did you put your phone number on your application?

If you are in Bangkok I would take a chance and pop into Trendy Floor 28. You will need your application receipt and also a police report covering the loss of your old passport. When I attended there were about 10 VFS staff and myself.

You are supposed to have an appointment, but try explaining they have your passport but nobody had called you for a few days. Worth a try.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

One of my passports was printed on the 1st June and was delivered to VFS Trendy on 5th June. VFS called me the same day my passport arrived to arrange a collection date and time.

I also got two separate tracking SMS messages from DHL giving an online tracking link.

Did you put your phone number on your application?

If you are in Bangkok I would take a chance and pop into Trendy Floor 28. You will need your application receipt and also a police report covering the loss of your old passport. When I attended there were about 10 VFS staff and myself.

You are supposed to have an appointment, but try explaining they have your passport but nobody had called you for a few days. Worth a try.

I submitted my application in Chiang Mai, which I believe is still closed for passports. However according to HMPO it has been delivered and signed for. Also I received confirmation that mt old passport is definitely lost!

1 hour ago, ImageDude said:

I submitted my application in Chiang Mai, which I believe is still closed for passports. However according to HMPO it has been delivered and signed for. Also I received confirmation that mt old passport is definitely lost!

Unbelievable - With all the problems they have caused you if they knew  CM VFS is closed why send it there. Even traveling to Bangkok would mean you get the passport.

I submitted my application in Chiang Mai, which I believe is still closed for passports.

I think it would be worth asking HMPO where you're new passport is now. It might be at VFS Trendy.

The point being if there is someone to sign for deliveries there should be someone to hand out the passports.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I think it would be worth asking HMPO where you're new passport is now. It might be at VFS Trendy.

The point being if there is someone to sign for deliveries there should be someone to hand out the passports.

As it says in their email, they are aware that VAC's are closed. I will wait a few more days and then contact them and my agent in Chiang Mai. That will give me some time to get everything together. I am currently asking HMPO for an official supporting letter from them stating the loss of my old passport, so, at least I will have something to show Immigration, they have not yet replied. Surprise Surprise.

• Like 1

As it says in their email, they are aware that VAC's are closed. I will wait a few more days and then contact them and my agent in Chiang Mai. That will give me some time to get everything together. I am currently asking HMPO for an official supporting letter from them stating the loss of my old passport, so, at least I will have something to show Immigration, they have not yet replied. Surprise Surprise.

ภาษาไทยอยู่ด้านล่าง

???? Chiang Mai VAC will reopen on 22 June for both ????????UK #visa and ????????UK #passport applications.

Everyone entering the UK should be aware of new health measures at the UK border. Please check https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control before travelling.

...See more
Image may contain: text that says "British Embassy Bangkok UK VISA APPLICATION CENTRE IN CHIANG MAI is re-opening on 22 June 2020 This will will be for both both UK visa and and UK passport applications. KINGDOMO REATBRITAIN ELAND PASSPORT"
  • Like 1