UK Passport issues during COVID-19

34 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

ภาษาไทยอยู่ด้านล่าง

???? Chiang Mai VAC will reopen on 22 June for both ????????UK #visa and ????????UK #passport applications.

Everyone entering the UK should be aware of new health measures at the UK border. Please check https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control before travelling.

...See more
Image may contain: text that says "British Embassy Bangkok UK VISA APPLICATION CENTRE IN CHIANG MAI is re-opening on 22 June 2020 This will will be for both both UK visa and and UK passport applications. KINGDOMO REATBRITAIN ELAND PASSPORT"

Thank you for that information. Although you are not renewing a passport at this time. Your input has been useful and much appreciated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Thank you for that information. Although you are not renewing a passport at this time. Your input has been useful and much appreciated.

For the visa swap over, I had no problems doing mine before after I got a police report to say I had lost my other one. I submitted the old passport number and the police report and they transferred everything to the new one.  My passport wasn't actually lost, Hong Kong didn't send it back with the new one, but I just told the police I had lost it - they literally couldn't care anyway, they just wrote the report and gave it to me. 

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

I think it would be worth asking HMPO where you're new passport is now. It might be at VFS Trendy.

The point being if there is someone to sign for deliveries there should be someone to hand out the passports.

I did as you advised and sent off emails to HMPO yesterday, I sent them to the two people who advised me that my new passport had been delivered to VFS. No replies as yet. Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImageDude said:

HMPO Liverpool had located my old passport.

Wonder whether, when you eventually get it back, you'll find largish ring-shaped stains on it - which would mean that there could well now be one very unhappy staff member in HMPO's Liverpool office who has been deprived of his/her prized coaster for his/her tea mug.????

Edited by OJAS

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Wonder whether, when you eventually get it back, you'll find largish ring-shaped stains on it - which would mean that there could well now be one very unhappy staff member in HMPO's Liverpool office who has been deprived of his/her prized coaster for his/her tea mug.????

When mine was lost years ago they (HK) were forced to admit that they eventually found it had 'fallen off a shelf' and had remained where it landed for THREE MONTHS.

On 6/13/2020 at 2:12 PM, ImageDude said:

The matter will not finish here. HMPO Customer Complaints only uncovered the fact that the old passport was lost and then found. They have gone nowhere near addressing the issue that my passport should never have been at HMPO Liverpool in the first place. And I will pursue that, it is about accountability now. For all the stress, anxiety, frustration and anger that has been heaped upon me needlessly. And maybe it will go some way to ensure there is little chance of it happening to anybody else. The lost passport was incidental, and only part of the big picture.

And, in addition to the appallingly shocking treatment which you have received at the hands of HMPO's Liverpool office, it should not be forgotten that the root cause of the whole passport renewal debacle for you and several others on here was the Home Office's ridiculous decision to order the complete closure of the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. To justify this decision solely on the grounds of the coronavirus pandemic, as the Home Office appear to have done, is IMHO absolutely pathetic, bearing in mind that banks, post offices and even immigration offices here have still been able to keep going with necessary layout adjustments for social distancing reasons. I am sure that, had VFS been left to their own devices, they would have been able to modify the layout of their Bangkok and Chiang Mai offices as necessary overnight without these needing to close for several weeks!

Maybe the Home Office bigwig who ordered these office closures needs gently reminding that passport renewal for those of us in Thailand with imminently-expiring passports is an essential activity and not a luxurious optional extra, even in times of crisis!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

And, in addition to the appallingly shocking treatment which you have received at the hands of HMPO's Liverpool office, it should not be forgotten that the root cause of the whole passport renewal debacle for you and several others on here was the Home Office's ridiculous decision to order the complete closure of the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. To justify this decision solely on the grounds of the coronavirus pandemic, as the Home Office appear to have done, is IMHO absolutely pathetic, bearing in mind that banks, post offices and even immigration offices here have still been able to keep going with necessary layout adjustments for social distancing reasons. I am sure that, had VFS been left to their own devices, they would have been able to modify the layout of their Bangkok and Chiang Mai offices as necessary overnight without these needing to close for several weeks!

Maybe the Home Office bigwig who ordered these office closures needs gently reminding that passport renewal for those of us in Thailand with imminently-expiring passports is an essential activity and not a luxurious optional extra, even in times of crisis!

In addition to the above. HMPO offices, because of measures introduced as a precaution to stem the spread of Covid-19, were running on minimum manning (volunteers I do believe), maybe the cleaning lady handled my application. Also HMPO staff were in dispute with the Government, because they (their Union) decided that their members were not key workers and therefore should not have to go to work at all until Covid-19 was history. I wonder what the Union will have to say about their little treasures when negotiating at the next round of pay talks! Chaos was inevitable at HMPO and unfortunately I got caught up in it. However, the fat lady has yet to sing!  Peace

Edited by ImageDude

Quick Update.

I finally got to VFS Trendy yesterday - 5 hour drive each way, arrived morning around 9.30 (yes I left at 4.30 !! ???? ) after well overestimating driving time - submitted my passport renewal application. Only me and one other applicant, was shown straight in even though my appointment was for 1 PM.

Latest estimate for return is currently 4 to 6 weeks, but they politely admitted, having just re-opened June 1, they could not say for sure. The clerks was very helpful, accepted all my residency proofs and cover letter without a grumble, agreed to just send the lot. Having said that the newly issued Thai driving licence would have probably been adequate proof, having address on the back in both languages.

I want to thank the posters in here for helping with the details, availability of free car park (was not even half full), now everything on floor 28, not 8. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

One thing i should add is I was almost highjacked by an independant agent when walking from the car park. She struck up a friendly conversation with the wife, asked if we were here for the 'visa office'. Wife of course says yes, and said we should follow her. I asked her directly if she worked for VFS and she mumbled something and said to follow her and she would check my papers. Been here long enough to spot an agent. Told her firmly we would not give her my paperwork but go to floor 28 (her office was on 8).

Will post an update when I get the notification of new passport arrival. DHL shows it's ready to leave Bangkok to Liverpool.

Edited by Saltire
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

Quick Update.

I finally got to VFS Trendy yesterday - 5 hour drive each way, arrived morning around 9.30 (yes I left at 4.30 !! ???? ) after well overestimating driving time - submitted my passport renewal application. Only me and one other applicant, was shown straight in even though my appointment was for 1 PM.

Latest estimate for return is currently 4 to 6 weeks, but they politely admitted, having just re-opened June 1, they could not say for sure. The clerks was very helpful, accepted all my residency proofs and cover letter without a grumble, agreed to just send the lot. Having said that the newly issued Thai driving licence would have probably been adequate proof, having address on the back in both languages.

I want to thank the posters in here for helping with the details, availability of free car park (was not even half full), now everything on floor 28, not 8. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

One thing i should add is I was almost highjacked by an independant agent when walking from the car park. She struck up a friendly conversation with the wife, asked if we were here for the 'visa office'. Wife of course says yes, and said we should follow her. I asked her directly if she worked for VFS and she mumbled something and said to follow her and she would check my papers. Been here long enough to spot an agent. Told her firmly we would not give her my paperwork but go to floor 28 (her office was on 8).

Will post an update when I get the notification of new passport arrival. DHL shows it's ready to leave Bangkok to Liverpool.

Thanks for this report. A couple of questions:-

(1) Did you avail yourself of the VFS service for the new passport photos, or did you bring your own?

(2) Does the floor 28 layout now comply with social distancing requirements? If so, I wonder whether it might get a tad overcrowded there once Thai nationals start turning up in droves with applications for UK visas, unless, of course, the passport renewal section is relocated back to floor 8 in the meantime!

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Thanks for this report. A couple of questions:-

(1) Did you avail yourself of the VFS service for the new passport photos, or did you bring your own?

(2) Does the floor 28 layout now comply with social distancing requirements? If so, I wonder whether it might get a tad overcrowded there once Thai nationals start turning up in droves with applications for UK visas, unless, of course, the passport renewal section is relocated back to floor 8 in the meantime!

Hi

(1) I took my own photos. I was prepared to have them redone as the small local shop (the ONLY one near me) did a good job but edited the background colour from that bright 'ID Blue' they use, to a light grey, He did a good job and hopefully they will also pass when they get to Liverpool.

(2) See photo, yes complies. I agree with you I feel they have decanted all services to that (presumably) bigger room untill business picks up. 1094678715_vfsfloor28.thumb.JPG.9ed66c112c23aaccb512869c1c6cc185.JPG

• Thanks 1

I should add that to collect a passport you now need to arrange a time and date when you are contacted by the VFS staff.

They have the collection time slots spaced apart to stop clusters of unforeseen people arriving.

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I should add that to collect a passport you now need to arrange a time and date when you are contacted by the VFS staff.

They have the collection time slots spaced apart to stop clusters of unforeseen people arriving.

Correct

They gave me a collection slip, amended in ink to show they now have addded morning collection times from 09:50 till 11:50 as well as PM from 13:00 to 15:50

Also gave me the DHL tracking number.

They said they will either email or call me when they have my new passport.

10 hours ago, Saltire said:

I took my own photos. I was prepared to have them redone as the small local shop (the ONLY one near me) did a good job but edited the background colour from that bright 'ID Blue' they use, to a light grey, He did a good job and hopefully they will also pass when they get to Liverpool.

Photoshopping is, of course, in contravention of HMPO's "no software altering" rule, but how strictly they enforce this in practice - or, indeed, whether they have any means of detecting artificial background colouring in the first place - is, I think, the big unknown. So good luck with your photos!

One of the beauties of the online renewal system which we are not permitted to use from Thailand for some ridiculous reason is that it does include a facility for acceptable photos to be taken digitally, meaning none of the worry and hassle which we are expected to endure with the antiquated and antediluvian renewal process which we are required to follow! 

Edited by OJAS

Photoshopping is, of course, in contravention of HMPO's "no software altering" rule, but how strictly they enforce this in practice - or, indeed, whether they have any means of detecting artificial background colouring in the first place - is, I think, the big unknown.

The shop I used also changed the background from white to light blue and it seems that was ok. My guess is that HMPO could detect it. I use photoshop quite a lot for playing around with my photos. I did change a background for a friend who was applying for a Chinese visa and they rejected the photos. I think HMPO would be more serious about altering of the facial features rather than backgrounds. What is the worst that could go wrong? They could reject them, and you send them more, and they could lose them, and you would complain and . . . you see where I'm going . . I have cause to be cynical about HMPO. Peace. I'm sure everything will be fine with your photos.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Photoshopping is, of course, in contravention of HMPO's "no software altering" rule, but how strictly they enforce this in practice - or, indeed, whether they have any means of detecting artificial background colouring in the first place - is, I think, the big unknown.

The shop I used also changed the background from white to light blue and it seems that was ok. My guess is that HMPO could detect it. I use photoshop quite a lot for playing around with my photos. I did change a background for a friend who was applying for a Chinese visa and they rejected the photos. I think HMPO would be more serious about altering of the facial features rather than backgrounds. What is the worst that could go wrong? They could reject them, and you send them more, and they could lose them, and you would complain and . . . you see where I'm going . . I have cause to be cynical about HMPO. Peace. I'm sure everything will be fine with your photos.

I have taken and printed my own photos both when applying for my wife's UK passport 3 years ago and for mine 6 months ago. I can't remember if I edited my wife's at all, but I noticed that mine was lighter on one side of my face than the other, because of the light from a window in the room where the photo was taken. I couldn't be bothered to take another photo, so I just lightened the whole image a little, which lessened the effect. The prints were accepted without question.

As we are obliged to submit printed photos I can't imagine how anyone could spot any digital editing. There is an app on the Microsoft Store which enables production of photos of the correct external and image sizes. It's quite simple and not worth the bother of going to a shop if you have a colour printer.

8 minutes ago, pontious said:

Anyone who applied to renew UK passport since VFS reopened had money processed on there debit / credit card yet.?

I went this week (16th), DHL shows papers arrived Liverpool yesterday.

No payment taken yet as of today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ImageDude said:

Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread.

I personally hope that it isn't since I, for one, would be most interested in hearing eventually what Abi Tierney's office have to say in response to your latest letter to them.  IMHO your experiences are a graphic illustration of the systemic crass incompetence which appears to exist in HMPO's PR department and is not just confined to them providing you with duff info as to HMPO's requirements in the case of your existing passport being renewed. The nonsensical advice which they were peddling for those here in Thailand with expiring passports to contact the FCO (in order to obtain an ETD for which most of us wouldn't have been eligible anyway) while the VFS offices were closed was but another example of their gross incompetence!

Edited by OJAS

On 6/21/2020 at 7:35 AM, cheekysailor said:

Were you given an ID number for DHL tracking?  I was not given such information at the office.

Yes I did, they hand-wrote it at the bottom of the A4 document receipt checklist they give you when you leave.

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes I did, they hand-wrote it at the bottom of the A4 document receipt checklist they give you when you leave.

I was not given a number, but after a couple of emails I have finally been able to locate one.  Documents received and signed for in Liverpool just awaiting my passport return journey.

2 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Stupid question time.  Do you receive a different DHL tracking number for the return leg of your passports journey?  If so will that be sent to you via email?

I believe the tracking is only for the outward journey and the passport return is not tracked. Possibly as Liverpool likely send in batches and not individual passports.

8 hours ago, cheekysailor said:

Stupid question time.  Do you receive a different DHL tracking number for the return leg of your passports journey?  If so will that be sent to you via email?

I did receive a both an outbound and return tracking number (different) from DHL when I renewed through Trendy in 2016.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, Saltire said:

I went this week (16th), DHL shows papers arrived Liverpool yesterday.

No payment taken yet as of today.

Can you post when payment is taken. I think mine arrived 12th. Still nothing showing on card. Thanks. @cheekysailor took seven days but he may have asked for priority as his passport runs out next month.

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Can you post when payment is taken. I think mine arrived 12th. Still nothing showing on card. Thanks. @cheekysailor took seven days but he may have asked for priority as his passport runs out next month.

Payment was taken yesterday 23rd - application lodged 16th, arrived Liverpool 18th.

• Thanks 1