suggestion

smedly

Modify the ignore functionality so that if either of two people chose to ignore a person that it works both ways 

Explanation - If I put someone on ignore not only can I not see their posts but they cannot see mine, it would solve a lot of problems when people just don't get on and cause "offtopic" insults and friction in many threads.

Could also give the option or choice to ignore both ways but that would be more complex

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

If I put someone on ignore not only can I not see their posts but they cannot see mine,

Which would make threads totally unreadable to both parties as information would be missing (and non-poster would not know what).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Which would make threads totally unreadable to both parties as information would be missing (and non-poster would not know what).

no it wouldn't 

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

If you put someone on ignore, it will show no post from them but a note on the thread that they posted but that in fact they are on your list.  Then, there is an option to click if you want to adjust the ignore.

But if you ignored someone why do you want or care what they posted as that is the point of ignoring them, isn't it?

how many times have you read the comment - put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts - what I am suggesting would give you the option to do it for them and therefore would stop a lot of the toxic comments and flames 

It's called privacy - if I don't want some individual to see my posts for various reasons I should have that option - why not

makes perfect sense to me and would provide a much less toxic environment 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Modify the ignore functionality so that if either of two people chose to ignore a person that it works both ways 

I you choose to ignore someone, simply ignore them. Then, once you refrain from getting involved, they will ignore you.

If you feel you have a stalker, follow CharlieH's post. 

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you have a problem, hit the report function and any offending remarks will be dealt with.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Other than that, this is a predominantly adult environment not a school yard, despite how some may act/react.

ThaiVisa is definitely not for the thin skinned!

10 minutes ago, Susco said:

because blocking what someone else can read or not is an infringement on that persons privacy.

that is nonsense 

The forum should be no different to face to face conversation, if I don't want a particular individual to hear what I have to say then that should be my choice, all of the friction on here would soon sort itself out, there is no point in me ignoring someone who constantly throws insults in my direction or yours in reply to our posts - all ignoring them does is allow them to continue but without you actually being aware of their continued toxic ignorant posts towards you, blocking them from seeing your posts solves that problem and ultimately makes for a much better posting experience and a less toxic environment  

It would certainly solve a lot of problems for moderators were certain individuals have a tendency to constantly throw insults at other posters 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

The forum should be no different to face to face conversation,

I think there is a significant difference between the written and the spoken word. When something is spoken, a sentence can take on a variety of different meanings depending on how the separate words are emphasised and the tone of voice. The written word leaves itself open to different interpretations and misunderstandings may result.

1 hour ago, potless said:

I think there is a significant difference between the written and the spoken word. When something is spoken, a sentence can take on a variety of different meanings depending on how the separate words are emphasised and the tone of voice. The written word leaves itself open to different interpretations and misunderstandings may result.

The point being you have full control who you want to read/listen to your words

In fact if the ignore button worked the opposite way to what it does now would be a big improvement 

Ignore would mean someone could not see your posts and therefore would have no reason to remark on them - it would have a more sensible functionality

39 minutes ago, smedly said:

In fact if the ignore button worked the opposite way to what it does now would be a big improvement 

Ignore would mean someone could not see your posts and therefore would have no reason to remark on them - it would have a more sensible functionality

Its a fair point. I have never used the ignore button. I actually assumed that it worked the way that you advocate. The Ignore feature working both ways. Thanks.

58 minutes ago, smedly said:

This is a public forum and any posts are made in such knowledge.

Why should a poster have the right to deprive another member the opportunity to see or comment on individual posts made.

32 minutes ago, potless said:

Its a fair point. I have never used the ignore button. I actually assumed that it worked the way that you advocate. The Ignore feature working both ways. Thanks.

nope - if you put someone on ignore right now you can no longer see their posts so they can continue to flame you except you don't know anything about it - the other way round they have nothing to flame because they will not see your posts and are effectively ignored from anything you post

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, potless said:

ps - check your PM

16 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

This is a public forum and any posts are made in such knowledge.

Why should a poster have the right to deprive another member the opportunity to see or comment on individual posts made.

you mean posts that I have made - I should have the choice as to whether someone sees my posts - for example if they are continuously throwing insults at your contributions/posts and offering no value at all I should have the right to exclude them from seeing my posts 

I can say confidently I would use that option more often than what is available now

Like I have already said - a very common comment on these forums is someone saying - if you don't like my posts then put me on ignore but you have no control over that and you should

I use ignore to ignore a few annoying users. If they want to write 100 new posts and half of them criticizing me why should I care? I won't see their posts. Problem solved.

And it's not exactly like TV is so important that it's necessary to do PR to promote once image. Who cares?

Edited by OneMoreFarang

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

Like I have already said - a very common comment on these forums is someone saying - if you don't like my posts then put me on ignore but you have no control over that and you should

That is exactly how it works - you put him on ignore and you no longer have to view his posts.  But you are asking to make your posts invisible to selected viewers.  Now if that is moderators might be able to understand.  ????  And do understand you want it to reduce stalkers.  But by doing that thread could lose meaning to those you make unable to read your posts as part of the content would be missing.  So we are stuck with moderators to limit the conflict.  USENET was the original discussion forum on internet and they went downhill bigtime from such conflicts and moderatorated forums took over.  Now it appears they are fading as users don't have time to spare from Facebook and Youtube.  

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That is exactly how it works - you put him on ignore and you no longer have to view his posts.  But you are asking to make your posts invisible to selected viewers.  Now if that is moderators might be able to understand.  ????  And do understand you want it to reduce stalkers.  But by doing that thread could lose meaning to those you make unable to read your posts as part of the content would be missing.  So we are stuck with moderators to limit the conflict.  USENET was the original discussion forum on internet and they went downhill bigtime from such conflicts and moderatorated forums took over.  Now it appears they are fading as users don't have time to spare from Facebook and Youtube.  

and how is that any different to the other way round ?

either way someone is unable to view someones posts, I personally would like it the other way or at least be given a choice 

1. Make their posts unavailable to me (as it is now)

2. Make my posts unavailable to them (my preference)

either way the result is the same - someone doesn't get to view another members posts  

6 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I can't imagine using an ignore button. If I'm in a bar and some drunk is being annoying, I ignore them. Just do the same on TVF. You don't need a button to ignore someone.

so when someone is being ignorant to your face about something you have said which was not directed at them you would just ignore them lol

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

1. Make their posts unavailable to me (as it is now)

2. Make my posts unavailable to them (my preference)

either way the result is the same - someone doesn't get to view another members posts  

Not the same - if you have the power to make your posts invisible to others they have lost content without a choice in the matter.  

1 hour ago, smedly said:

so when someone is being ignorant to your face about something you have said which was not directed at them you would just ignore them lol

This is what people generally do on a forum.

• Like 1