suggestion

smedly

I have used professional pilot forums since the compuserve days, 

Some allowed amateurs and guests, some required employment verification.

The key is MODERATION. Thai visa forum moderators do a great job because 

They follow their own rules and don't push agendas like "Its my sandbox" guys

The problem with no bias is there are large numbers posting complete rubbish they know nothing about.Probably the best thing would be to require identification and posting  under real name with facial photograph. I used to be on a site the was exclusively for pilots of one company and when they went from handles to real names problems dropped 99 percent. Even with those restrictions i know of at least three times when people were fired or lost a job opportunity because of the false information and libels they posted on forums or Facebook. Thanks management infiltrators and their toadies and bootlickers who report to them.

Edited by Captain Monday

47 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not the same - if you have the power to make your posts invisible to others they have lost content without a choice in the matter.  

My content which I currently have no control, another option would be to stop posting - same effect on a much bigger scale

what is your interest in this anyway ?

your argument is shallow but you are of course entitled to an opinion provided I want to hear it lol 

5 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The key is MODERATION. Thai visa forum moderators do a great job because 

They follow their own rules and don't push agendas like "Its my Sandbox" guys

The MODS do a great job on TVF as I have said many times

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have used professional pilot forums since the compuserve days, 

Some allowed amateurs and guests, some required employment verification.

that is an entirely different thing and forcing people to identify themselves on a public forum would lead to a massive drop in membership

The simple way to look at it is compare it to real life face to face interaction, your pilot forum was exclusive (behind closed doors verified members and identity), TVF is a collection of unconnected random people not an exclusive membership club which is vastly different to your above example - which is completely irrelevant to this discussion

anyway I have put my suggestion in the domain, I believe it is quite reasonable for me to decide if I don't want a small number of people to have access to my content - it could be something that is presented to a moderator and let them decide rather than me to effect such an exclusion

It's just some out loud thinking

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

The point being you have full control who you want to read/listen to your words

In fact if the ignore button worked the opposite way to what it does now would be a big improvement 

Ignore would mean someone could not see your posts and therefore would have no reason to remark on them - it would have a more sensible functionality

How would your suggestion work in practice.

For example if you blocked person A from seeing your post but allowed person B . Then person B responded should person A , the person you blocked be allowed to see person B response .?

Edited by cleopatra2

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

it is quite reasonable for me to decide if I don't want a small number of people to have access to my content

Except it is not your content - you gave rights to ThaiVisa.

You agree to grant to THAIVISA.COM a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sub-license, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information you submit to any public areas, chat rooms, bulletin boards, social media, newsletters, newsgroups or forums of THAIVISA.COM or which you provide by email or any other means to THAIVISA.COM and affiliated partners, in any media now known or hereafter developed.**

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

How would your suggestion work in practice.

For example if you blocked person A from seeing your post but allowed person B . Then person B responded should person A , the person you blocked be allowed to see person B response .?

It is no different to how the mechanics of ignore works at present

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Except it is not your content - you gave rights to ThaiVisa.

that is not applicable to what what I am proposing 

anyway I have said all I am going to say on the matter 

what brought it up is the fact that TVF has become very toxic recently - I will continue to use the report button and see were that goes

Bearing in mind too many people are aiming derogatory comments at posters recently while contributing nothing to the discussion 

Edited by smedly

I don't understand the desire to put someone on ignore. Surely it's better to see all opinions, no matter how much some opinions might irritate you? For me this is what makes a public forum interesting. Seeing all opinions, and debating them. I don't want it to be an echo chamber. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

But if you ignored someone why do you want or care what they posted as that is the point of ignoring them, isn't it?

Normally they don't give up and use it as an excuse to post strings or personal attacks that you can't see, and therefore don't report for removal. I've got one 'why do you always mention sex' mentally unstable stalker that's still going after 1 year on ignore, I only see his insults when another poster quotes him.

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't understand the desire to put someone on ignore. Surely it's better to see all opinions, no matter how much some opinions might irritate you? For me this is what makes a public forum interesting. Seeing all opinions, and debating them. I don't want it to be an echo chamber. 

Not when the poster is only interested in stalking/trolling you, then reporting you to the Mods if you attempt to defend yourself. I've go a lot less 'holidays' since I leaned to 'ignore' in place of 'defend against'.

Edited by BritManToo

There might be software restrictions to what smedly has suggested. Another idea would be if somebody is ignored, or whose posts are unliked by a certain number of users in a certain time that person should be blocked as clearly universally toxic and contribute nothing to the discussion.

Here is an example of a typical 10 page post on TVF titled Where can I get a good car wash in Chiang Mai? On the first page a rubbisher will always post something like "I don't need a car I prefer walking"

To that I would give a thumbs down.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

Modify the ignore functionality so that if either of two people chose to ignore a person that it works both ways 

Regardless of the ensuing debate re your suggestion, (un)fortunately (depending on what side of the fence people are on) it won't be actioned.

TV doesn't write the code the site is based on, to implement such functionality you would have to lodge a case with the actual owners/developers. If they agreed and implemented it then you could influence TV to make the decision to enable it or not.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I have no issues with someone joining a discussion and actually offering opinions relevant to the topic, the issue is when they don't offer any contribution to the discussion and start insulting people who do, the only time I have ever done such a thing is to point out what they are doing and I do my best to do it politely or on occasion I report them

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Normally they don't give up and use it as an excuse to post strings or personal attacks that you can't see, and therefore don't report for removal. I've got one 'why do you always mention sex' mentally unstable stalker that's still going after 1 year on ignore, I only see his insults when another poster quotes him.

exactly my point - if you could actually have the option to exclude this person from viewing your posts then problem solved

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

There might be software restrictions to what smedly has suggested.

Not sure what options are available on the TVF forum platform - been a long time since I was involved in such things 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Not sure what options are available on the TVF forum platform - been a long time since I was involved in such things 

Facebook, tool the Devil, has more settings but even if you are not Friends, random people can see your posts. I avoid it because there is no way to avoid the political nonsense, even from Friends.

I keep the messenger app on my phone for my friends who use it for comms.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

how many times have you read the comment - put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts - what I am suggesting would give you the option to do it for them and therefore would stop a lot of the toxic comments and flames 

It's called privacy - if I don't want some individual to see my posts for various reasons I should have that option - why not

makes perfect sense to me and would provide a much less toxic environment 

You're making a good point here. Unfortunately, do not all here understand it. 

I agree with you to 100 %, because there are posters who only try to destroy a very important topic.

And once several posts are removed, a lot of good information is gone as well. 

OP, i am not sure why would you bother about what ignored users think about you and your posts.

If you decided to put them on the ignore list, just ignore them completely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Flippancy makes the forum exciting and then you're free to deal your detractors the killer riposte.  

it takes the discussion down a rat hole of interpersonal off topic exchanges that offer no value just like this one

however light humour is of course entirely different 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 7:22 AM, smedly said:

...someone who constantly throws insults in my direction...

It can be annoying when somebody replies with an insult to one's posts. Are posts like "are you stupid" and "you can't be that stupid" examples of the type of insults that prompt you to ignore somebody?

51 minutes ago, Puccini said:

It can be annoying when somebody replies with an insult to one's posts. Are posts like "are you stupid" and "you can't be that stupid" examples of the type of insults that prompt you to ignore somebody?

in the whole time I have been a TVF member I have ignored a maximum of about 2 people - I don't see the benefit of using that feature unless someone spams and posts utter constant nonsense that I have no interest in 

On the other hand I would have used the ignore much more often if it had the effect as I suggested in this thread