Eighty year old Frenchman pays 50,000 bail for flouting Pattaya beach regulations

webfact

2 minutes ago, nausea said:

You're in for a shock. It doesn't get better, it gets worse. I'd say you're at your peak around 15 or 16. After that, it's all downhill, ha!

Almost 50 years on and I am enjoying the downhill ride.

18 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

You are CYNICAL!!!

Why do you assume that all Thai women have no scruples?  

Not assuming anything about all Thai women at all ! Just aware of how the way things often work !

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Draconian, arbitrary rules and punishment.

It should all be put in a brochure for the tourism authority and the "expat guides".

Stay away, find another country!

Stay away from Pattaya, more like it. But yeah, got no sympathy really. Anyone living here knows how things work. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The man was with several elderly French and Belgian friends - all residents of Pattaya - hanging around at the beach at 5pm as was their custom.

There's no mention of whether the guys were walking on the sands, or just sitting by or on the sea wall, or with how many friends, was it needed for a gang of cops to arrest them. or just be told to move on, in spite of the rules, this could of been a harmless matter, or did dirty cops see a means to make money, no mention of what happened to the other friends.

1 hour ago, grumpy 4680 said:

There's no mention of whether the guys were walking on the sands, or just sitting by or on the sea wall, or with how many friends, was it needed for a gang of cops to arrest them. or just be told to move on, in spite of the rules, this could of been a harmless matter, or did dirty cops see a means to make money, no mention of what happened to the other friends.

My thoughts exactly when I read this, not very good reporting.  I would bet that if they were Thais, the police would have said nothing to them. But wait, there are some farangs here, let's make some money today. 

Edited by bstafford214

18 hours ago, Traubert said:

Another copy & paste Mike. Seen it.

A very dangerous attitude in my opinion. The only question you should ask a foreign copper is 'how high?'

Completely wrong. Sure, I have spoken about the pushback idea before. But, the post was entirely original. However, you need something to complain about, so hope it made you feel good. Not dangerous at all. The police here give us tons of leeway. They respond to pushback, usually by backing down. Again, they are generally looking for an easy mark. If I have committed a crime, that is a different story. However, if they are being silly, as they usually are, and are simply asking for a donation, this guy does not play that game easily. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JeffyInBkk said:

Please help to disseminate this news to foreign media, your friends and relatives overseas etc. It would help a lot.

I think this story is already out there, on the World Wide Web, facebook, and i guess the tabloids soon.

The result of the ongoing investigation, will be interesting read. Just a coincidence (?) that easing of beach ban, starting this coming saturday.

Will the french man has to go to court, or case dismissed? 

Will the 50,000 bail bond be returned, or the 2,000 travel fee??

4 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Will the french man has to go to court, or case dismissed? 

Will the 50,000 bail bond be returned, or the 2,000 travel fee??

It would be ironic if the bail is returned and he is found guilty and fined 100,000 baht. 

If he pleads guilty, perhaps the fine will be halved and all is settled. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 5/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, OnTheGround said:

Ssshhhhh She just lost a year in support from the french man. Who can blame her?

It"s the first report we see about foreigner had to pay 50,000 - this will make magic for future tourism.

Who got the money ?

19 hours ago, JeffyInBkk said:

Please help to disseminate this news to foreign media, your friends and relatives overseas etc. It would help a lot.

Why, The original post/article  is full of holes that any foreign media  outlet  would pull apart in minutes

Is Pim wife or Girlfriend you get different answer depending where you read

is Pim or 48 according to the op/article she is both

Was the information provided in the article confirmed/verified by a third party, we know there was 6 foreigners in the group  5 French and 1 person from Belgium, were they all arrested or just some, were they warned on previous occasions and just choose to ignore the warnings there are reports that they went to the beach everyday always at the same time.

I ranked this article in the same vein as the thread about someone listing their conquests with different Thai women 

Both thread's have claims that are  unverified.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/octogenarian-frenchman-claims-police-shakedown-for-violating-pattaya-beach-closure-order-298267

There is an article here that states four farang have been sentenced for breaking curfew

At least four farang in Bangkok are known to have been sentenced to community service in lieu of a prison sentence.

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/why-do-so-many-people-break-the-curfew-298210

Edited by vinny41
forgot url

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:03 AM, spidermike007 said:

I would have refused to pay the fine, had my family all over social media and shamed the franchisees into letting us go.

I get it, the dude is old...replace 80 year old with 30 year old and then he is a stupid young buck that cant read...He messed with the bull and he got the horns. Whether you agree with this or not...dont go on the beach...dont hang out at the beach...dont congregate with your friends at the beach...or bring 100K baht with you. I dont like it either but you know what I would hate more...paying a thai bail bondsman 50K for the opportunity to go to thai court and pay a possible 100K on top of it...DONT GO TO THE BEACH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

Also...not meaning to pile on the old guy here but...Why is he having a visa problem anyhow....I thought there was amnesty until July...

Edited by Tie Dye Samurai
  • Like 2