Video: Driver pulls out on vehicle overtaking - innocent one ends up in the ravine

webfact

That was a continuous centre line.  Even without any road marking, it was common sense not to overtake.  "Blind bend ahead!". 2 complete idiots and one 'collateral damage'.  It does show that even when you're driving correctly, you can still end up dead (not in this case, thankfully).  I can't see how the innocent vehicle could have avoided that.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

There is always one idiot driver wherever you go in this country that creates this kind of chaos showing no respect for others .

You know of a road with only one idiot?  Where the hell is this mythical place?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Video isn't awfully clear, but isn't that an unbroken yellow centre line?

And doesn't that mean no overtaking?

The double line is simply to clearly indicate to users where the middle of the road is; double for the visually impaired :crazy:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That was a continuous centre line.  Even without any road marking, it was common sense not to overtake.  "Blind bend ahead!". 2 complete idiots and one 'collateral damage'.  It does show that even when you're driving correctly, you can still end up dead (not in this case, thankfully).  I can't see how the innocent vehicle could have avoided that.

Yep.  Seems to be plenty of prangs that could be avoided by the innocent party being more aware or the regular and rampant craziness, but in this case it was just their unlucky day.   Walking away alive is a win.

It looked like there were three pickups that were wanting to overtake the black one. The first silver one crossed the center line too but went back in his lane when he saw Mr dashcam coming through. The second silver pickup who drove into Mr dashcam may have had his eye on the first silver pickup, not expecting someone (dashcam) to overtake from so far back in the line.

• Thanks 1

Yeh, you got me there.  20 years here and I still talk of common sense.  I need to have a word with myself.

However, disregarding common sense, he, sorry, THEY were actually breaking the law as outlined in the Thai driving laws.

• Like 1

I heard the woman screaming, but does she ever get out to see if the vehicle

that hit the ditch or ravine is okay?  It did not seem that they were in any hurry to 

do that, just chat with each other. Glad the grey pickup hit the other side and ended up

smashed, what a tool.

Geezer

• Like 2

I am not a scared driver but I am always amazed how they overtake on these roads in the mountains. It is really playing Russian roulette.
On the roads from CM to Mae Sai it is the same BS, unless it is a long straight road I am not risking my life for arriving 1 minute earlier.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:49 PM, Crossy said:

Video isn't awfully clear, but isn't that an unbroken yellow centre line?

And doesn't that mean no overtaking?

Typical of Thais, me Thai I'm always right can do no wrong highway department put continuous line in wrong place. Mirror not for checking traffic just for picking nose, squeezing zits, checking makeup and doing hair just ask any Thai lady/ladyboy    

On 5/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, worgeordie said:

New game of Thai road billiards

Reminds me of a bar conversation. One guy mentions he's from Texas, another guy says he used to drive trucks through Texas. Then these comments followed:

"They got those drive through liquor stores".

"Yeah, everyone rolls with an open container".

"Yeah, it's real bumper cars out there".

Highly aggressive driving by three of the vehicles on a narrow highway where the road is clearly marked as no-passing - but typically Thai - the road markings are ignored, mirrors are ignored, lines on the road and lanes are ignored, the safety problems with passing multiple cars is ignored - and this is what you get - and this is why Thailand's roads are the worse in the world.

every farang should know mirrors are only for checking your pimples and not to see if there is anyone behind/beside you, when have you ever seen a thai driver/rider use their mirrors before pulling out. Solid lines on the road simply mean you have to overtake faster and that you should have no other cars doing the same thing, the car that pulled out without looking & clipped the one overtaking is the main one responsible for the other car that crashed but both drivers are responsible and should lose licences if they even had them, get a massive fine and have to pay restitution to the car that was forced off the road but being Thailand I doubt it will happen, som nam na 

Edited by seajae

• 2 weeks later...