Chiang Mai Guesthouse Rental by the Night

Gonzo the Face

About 2 years ago there was a big bru-ha-ha about guesthouses in Chiang Mai renting rooms by the night.  Having been a good little boy and law abiding, and having rented rooms in my guesthouse by the night for 20 + years , I couldn't understand this decision to no longer be able to do nightly rentals.  Granted, they said I could do monthly rentals but not nightly.  Knowing that rooms had been rented in CM for what... 50, 75, 100 years or more, I was at a loss to understand.    At the time I could see other guesthouses run by Thais doing nightly rental.  There was some stink about this policy but it died down .

Needless to say this greatly impacted my room and restaurant business .  I hear that this policy did go by the wayside. but does anyone know if guesthouses are able to do nightly rentals today or not?  Todays virus problem has indeed had an impact on the tourism industry,  but are guesthouses today doing nightly rentals in Chiang Mai???  I ask this very seriously and would like sensible replys.  Thanks, Gonzo

Any guesthouse with the correct licence was never stopped from doing daily rentals.

The clampdown was focused on AirBnB and Chinese parties in upmarket MooBaans, though no doubt some guesthouses got caught up in it.