'Bloody awful': British defence minister describes having COVID-19

snoop1130

'Bloody awful': British defence minister describes having COVID-19

bnb.PNG

Britain’s Secretary of State of Defence Ben Wallace leaves Downing Street 10 in London, Britain February 13, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Having COVID-19 was “bloody awful,” British Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said on Monday, saying that the virus had sapped his energy, reduced his will and temporarily taken away his sense of taste and smell for days.

Asked by Sky News how it was to have COVID-19, Wallace said: “Bloody awful if you want the honest truth.”

“It wasn’t severe but it mentally taps your will because it comes and goes, it ebbs and flows,” said Wallace, who was infected with the virus at the end of March. “I sat on my own in my flat in London for 8 days and I lost taste and smell, and it’s a sort of energy sapping thing that reduces your will.”

“But it then disappeared and I took some more precautions but in the end I went back to work,” Wallace said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-04

57 minutes ago, mrfill said:

How many cold victims need to be in intensive care to administer oxygen and ventilators? Even a really, really bad cold.

I don't know the numbers but it's a lot.

5 hours ago, mrfill said:

How many cold victims need to be in intensive care to administer oxygen and ventilators? Even a really, really bad cold.

Google the Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968.

Edited by roquefort

9 hours ago, car720 said:

I had dengue fever once.  That was bad enough.  I thought I was gone.

Same.. I also spent 3 days on a quinine drip in a Mozambique hospital with malaria. Strange but Mozambique wasn't on lock down that year, or any other years that hundreds of thousands die of malaria !! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Same.. I also spent 3 days on a quinine drip in a Mozambique hospital with malaria. Strange but Mozambique wasn't on lock down that year, or any other years that hundreds of thousands die of malaria !! 

Because there is a cure for it.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Was  victim to it. With relapse. Memorable severity.

Exactly.

But did the world shut down, did we all cower fearfully in our homes until Big Brother told us it was safe to go outside? .............. NO. And the world didn't end, even though lots of people died.

I have more risk of dying on the Thai roads in normal times then I do of dying from Covid today.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Speaking of malaria I read something yesterday about a microbe which prevents mosquitos from carrying malaria. It's called 'Microsporidia'. This appears to be a breaking news story in the last 24 hours, if accurate then it could be massive.

Yes I read that too.. They are looking to do some more testing but believe it could be an answer as it doesn't kill the mosquito, so no harm to the ecosystem.

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

but are either of them passed from human to human?  

1 minute ago, car720 said:

but are either of them passed from human to human?  

Is that the criteria ?? 

If a cause of huge death tolls is not human to human then it doesn't warrant the same attention as this virus ??

Technically, it is spread from human to human via our little mosquito friends...

9 hours ago, roquefort said:

Exactly.

But did the world shut down, did we all cower fearfully in our homes until Big Brother told us it was safe to go outside? .............. NO. And the world didn't end, even though lots of people died.

I have more risk of dying on the Thai roads in normal times then I do of dying from Covid today.

I can't deny the response to this has involved some strange extremes. Even the precautions and forward planning  with the SARS outbreak, despite it's mortality rate, never went much further than to establish  isolation units  in hospitals. That it never eventuated and greater measures were never needed does not take away from the mystery of the Covid-19 response in that it has demonstrated some weird contradictions.

That it came immediately on the heels of a major International conference discussing such an outbreak inevitably raises some valid speculation. Even Big Brother has a Father somewhere !

Perhaps the disease  IS the cure?