Trump administration pushing to rip global supply chains from China: officials

webfact

4 hours ago, nausea said:

A losing battle, if you ask me. It's only a matter of time before China becomes the preeminent force in the world, assuming they don't implode as happened with the USSR, hence the emphasis on social stability overriding all other concerns. These are dangerous times. The question is, can a declining power with unrivalled military might (for now) give up the crown gracefully.

I can't say I agree with this. China will certainly continue to rise. But I can't imagine the world simply going along with their human rights violations. It doesn't help that Trump has made the U.S. a very questionable partner, he's actually aiding China. But people realize what Xi is. Trump will be gone soon enough.

Edited by jcsmith
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How about because companies are in business to make a profit for themselves and their shareholders.

To make a gadget in country A will cost x amount of $ and yield a profit of Y amount. However if country B can make the same item at a lower cost including freight then the company is likely to go to country B and sell the gadget at the same price and make more profit.

If you don't understand that, then find out where Apple gets its I Phones made and why it went there in the first place.

Of course Apple could make them in the USA but fewer people would buy them as they will be much more expensive.

Yes. This is true. But for certain items, security considerations apply. Such as those things that will protect a country in the event of a pandemic. The extra cost is worth it. But for most things it makes no sense. Blaming China for the way workers are treated in the USA is a deflection.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, car720 said:

Because the main motivator of the entire human race is greed.

And no doubt some research would easily reveal plenty of examples of scaly products and dangerous products made in the USA ans sold to US citizens, and some exported. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Common sense ?

People don't understand that buying Chinese products is not as cheap as it seems. And certainly not if people in your own country are unemployed and have no money to spend. 

Bringing production back to your own country is a very good idea.

People don't understand that buying Chinese products is not as cheap as it seems. And certainly not if people in your own country are unemployed and have no money to spend. ...."

Tell that to the corporation owners who make the decisions to produce offshore rather than the customers who have no say in where the product is produced.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Tell that to the corporation owners who make the decisions to produce offshore rather than the customers who have no say in where the product is produced.

Customers do have a say, if they are not buying a product, with their buying decision based on where that product comes from.

Customers don't usually care where a product comes from. That could well change, because everyone knows where COVID-19 came from.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sujo said:

What are you on about. My administration, australia, has nothing to do with US companies chosing to operate from china instead of the US. How on earth are china to blame for where a US company decides to operate.

Blame trump for that. Make china great again.

At first I wondered about what why he was slagging you. But then I realized that he was actually addressing President Trump. At least I hope I got that right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Amazing how many China apologists on this thread.  At least now we can see you.

Thailand has a chance to pick up some huge supply business from China.  However, there's the issue with the overpriced Baht that could derail them.

Makes one wonder why the US has sunk so low that people trust china more than the US. Doesnt take much guesswork, but the next pres has a lot of fixing to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Sujo said:

What are you on about. My administration, australia, has nothing to do with US companies chosing to operate from china instead of the US. How on earth are china to blame for where a US company decides to operate.

Blame trump for that. Make china great again.

I agree.