Video: Brake failure! Couple hospitalized after ten wheeler plows through Phetchabun red light

webfact

Video: Brake failure! Couple hospitalized after ten wheeler plows through Phetchabun red light

2pm_VI.jpg

video screenshot

CCTV footage from two angles showed the moment when a ten wheel truck carrying rice plowed through a red light at an intersection in the Beung Sam Phan district of Phetchabun in Thailand's north central region. 

A black Mitsubishi pick-up was propelled several meters into traffic lights and a local couple were trapped inside. A 44 year old male driver and 40 year old woman passenger in the front seat were cut out and taken to hospital with serious injuries. 

Police found the Isuzu truck stopped 100 meters ahead. Brake fluid was seeping all over the roadway.

Driver Wira, 45, from Buriram said he had been delivering a full load of rice from Pathum Thani when he noticed his brakes had failed. 

Daily News reported that he said he was 1 km before the intersection at the time. 

No charges have yet been made though police conceded the CCTV footage was as clear as day; the pick-up had been legally crossing the intersection on a green light.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-05

36 minutes ago, petedk said:

Do I understand correctly?

He was 1 Km from the intersection when he discovered that his brakes had failed. So, why didn't he cruise to a standstill or shift to lower gears to stop???

Because the driver was a thai? And probably too young to drive and without license or any training.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

Brake failure again? 

When are the Thai government going to do something about this pesci problem? 

Maybe a campaign with lots of photos shoots and posters plastered everywhere, then later used as sun shades by food vendors..... 

Or maybe they'll just remove brakes from cars all together and be done with the issue ????

Those kind of drivers/owners should be put in jail for 10 years and force to pay ALL the damage caused.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

He had a Km to do something,like change down gears to slow down

combined with handbrake.....IF handbrake was working.

regards Worgeordie

Would not switching off the ignition work , ok I know it was likely diesal but that key must do something . Credit to the chap , indeed the brakes failed , not an excuse this time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Would not switching off the ignition work , ok I know it was likely diesal but that key must do something . Credit to the chap , indeed the brakes failed , not an excuse this time.

Yes,if he turned the engine off ,that would also have slowed the

truck down, if it was in gear,especially a low gear,but it looks like

he did nothing to slow down,he was flying through the intersection.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petedk said:

He was 1 Km from the intersection when he discovered that his brakes had failed. So, why didn't he cruise to a standstill or shift to lower gears to stop???

He was in a hurry to find a mechanic :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Because there was no reason to reduce speed or stop yet ...

• Confused 2

If a heavy goods vehicle yearly safety test is the same as a car, then I am not surprised this stuff happens.

Tests in LOS are a joke.......????.......Same as driving tests, laughable....:coffee1:

• Like 1

It was not brake failure. It was failure to brake. 

Unless the failure was that of the brake shoes being so worn, that they failed to provide  adequate friction to stop the truck . and if that was the case it should have not come as a surprise, The default setting on truck brakes is "brakes locked".

In other words, when truck brakes fail. for the most part they lock up. That's why on highways you sometimes see a black tire line , usually heading towards the side shoulder, the brakes on that wheel failed , the wheel locked up . and the driver had to pull off to the side. 

Unless that truck had hydraulic brakes. 

Edited by sirineou

5 hours ago, petedk said:

or as well even try the hand break??? I presume trucks have one..... ????????????????????????????????

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It was not brake failure. It was failure to brake. 

Unless the failure was that of the brake shoes being so worn, that they failed to provide  adequate friction to stop the truck . and if that was the case it should have not come as a surprise, The default setting on truck brakes is "brakes locked".

In other words, when truck brakes fail. for the most part they lock up. That's why on highways you sometimes see a black tire line , usually heading towards the side shoulder, the brakes on that wheel failed , the wheel locked up . and the driver had to pull off to the side. 

Unless that truck had hydraulic brakes. 

I just read the full article and noticed that the truck had hydraulic brakes, so disregard the above opinion. 

How do they even  allow a truck that weight to have hydraulic brakes? 

Te wheeler must be at least 36K GVW

and is that a tank in the back?( I can't tell from the picture.)  liquids are heavy . and even with buffles  the surge  when trying to stop can be tricky.  

Edited by sirineou

1 minute ago, transam said:

Looking at the speed of the truck, supposedly slowing down for a kilometer,  I reckon he was just jumping the lights and got it wrong....

Yap, a stale green can be nerve wrecking , but still , Hydraulic brakes on a truck the GVW. In the US  anything over 26k GVW  

has to have air brakes. I have rented a 25k GVW Hino Automatic  flatbed from Rider once with hydraulics. I thought I was going to die. LOL

That truck with tandems has to be at least 55K  otherwise why then tandems. And if it is a tanker, the surge is like being rear ended. 

6 hours ago, petedk said:

Driver thought if he accelerated he'd run out of fuel faster and stop! ????