Britain outpaces Italy with Europe's highest official coronavirus death toll

snoop1130

Britain outpaces Italy with Europe's highest official coronavirus death toll

By Andy Bruce

2020-05-05T100003Z_2_LYNXMPEG440IF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

People and buses are seen on London Bridge at the height of the traditional morning rush hour, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), London, Britain, May 5, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has overtaken Italy to report the highest official death toll from coronavirus in Europe with more than 32,000 deaths, figures released on Tuesday showed.

The high death toll could increase political pressure on Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who waited longer than other European leaders to order a lockdown to curb the spread of the virus in March.

Weekly figures from Britain's national statistics office added more than 7,000 deaths in England and Wales, raising the total for the United Kingdom to 32,313.

The figure is one of several methods for calculating deaths and difficult to compare with other countries, but it offers the clearest sign yet that Britain could emerge as the worst-hit country in Europe, despite being hit later than other countries.

Opposition parties have raised questions about Johnson's initial decision to delay a lockdown at a time when hospitals in Italy were already being overrun.

They also say his government was too slow to introduce mass testing and provide enough protective equipment to hospitals.

The true figure for deaths from coronavirus may be even higher. The Office of National Statistics said 33,593 more people had died than average up to April 24 in England and Wales, compared to 27,365 cases in which coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificates.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-05

before being too critical and pointing fingers bear in mind these are statistics with no common approach of collection and method of recording deaths. you really cannot deduce much with such inconsistently collated data. for example for the first four/five weeks deaths in care homes were excluded from uk stats.

There are three types of lies; lies, damn lies, and statistics

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

It is almost like self-centered right wing politicians who couldn't care about their own citizens is somehow connected to how they handle this crisis, who would have thought it?

I see you’ve taken full advantage of the booze freedoms.

• Like 1

it could do with the fact that they are still allowing international travelers to fly into the UK for farm work. Also I see they continuously assisting illegal's when crossing the channel in flimsy rubber boats and bringing them ashore at Dover and those are just the ones we know about. What about other landing beaches ? None of these issues help to confine further outbreaks of the virus. There is also an article claiming that between Jan-Mar 2020- 18 million people entered the UK via airports, some are UK citizens and many are not.

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

It is almost like self-centered right wing politicians who couldn't care about their own citizens is somehow connected to how they handle this crisis, who would have thought it?

There's nothing "right wing" about keeping borders open at all costs.

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Ah so the excuse is not all countries count the same way.

Odd how Johnson supporters were keen on the idea of comparing countries before the UK hit the top of the list.

The UK's figures only include those who actually were tested for corona and passed away. Given how woeful the UK's testing has been there is a huge number of deaths not being included because the person was never proven to have the virus.

Shameful leadership of a shameful response hidden by a shameful cover-up of the true death toll.   

I think in all deaths where there is a suspicion of the virus, a test is administered post mortem.

Many in care homes have a DNR notice on their notes which may lead to the shocking

instances occuring there. Many in these homes are very ill and approaching the end of 

their lives, which is why many are there in the first place.

I'm no Tory boy, and have no joy in supporting this government, but when my father was

living his last days in a home, there is no way they would have hooked him up to a 

ventilator to prolong his life, of course it was comforting that me and my mother were

bedside when he passed, I can't imagine how awful it would be to have a loved one

dying alone or without family nearby.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I think in all deaths where there is a suspicion of the virus, a test is administered post mortem.

<snip>

You think so? I think not.

18 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Top of the league in Europe, CL and EL champions too.

The UK's figures include suspected cases where as Italy does not include suspected cases. It would be helpful if all countries used the same method of recording the deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-above-32000-to-highest-in-europe

That's true but anyway the figures show what kind of rotten health system and egomaniac government we have. 

• Like 1

after this is over italy will still be the highest for many  reasons inc italy has a lower population plus other reasons says the boffins

plus italians dont factor in care homes deaths in their figures

Edited by 3NUMBAS
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The UK's figures include suspected cases where as Italy does not include suspected cases. It would be helpful if all countries used the same method of recording the deaths.

Which means they are cooking the books. Why?

I just found out Bill Gates sponsors the BBC, which is worrying. 

Also, he gives more to the WHO than Australia, UK and Germany COMBINED! 

A friend of mine died in the UK last weekend due to Covid. He was unable to see a doctor for thrombosis(they were all too busy making dancing vdos). I would bet that they put that down as the cause of death.

• Sad 1