Coronavirus health fears outweigh concern for economy - global survey

snoop1130

Coronavirus health fears outweigh concern for economy - global survey

By Mark John

2020-05-05T053354Z_2_LYNXMPEG4406M_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-FRANCE.JPG

People wearing protective face masks queue at a post office in Mandelieu where wearing a protective face mask is compulsory following a municipal decree during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in France, May 4, 2020. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

LONDON (Reuters) - A substantial majority of people around the world want their governments to prioritise saving lives over moves to restart economies being hammered by measures aimed at halting the spread of the new coronavirus, a global survey found.

The latest findings of the "Edelman Trust Barometer," which for two decades has polled tens of thousands of people on their trust in core institutions, challenge the notion that "lockdown fatigue" is rising among populations hit by the pandemic.

Overall, 67% of the 13,200-plus people interviewed between April 15 and April 23 agreed with the statement: "The government's highest priority should be saving as many lives as possible even if it means the economy will recover more slowly."

Just one-third backed the assertion: "It is becoming more important for the government to save jobs and restart the economy than to take every precaution to keep people safe."

The study, produced by U.S. communications company Edelman, was based on fieldwork carried out in Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Some 76% of Japanese respondents agreed public health should be prioritised over the economy against just 56% in China, where the outbreak was first detected late last year. China now has only a handful of new cases a day, after imposing a strict lockdown earlier.

In Canada, the UK and France, 70% or more of the respondents were in favour of prioritising health concerns. In the United States, where anti-lockdown protests in some cases were encouraged by President Donald Trump, the figure was 66%.

"It's complicated because you have two crises simultaneously - a health crisis and an economic crisis," said Richard Edelman, CEO of Edelman.

"But people are saying, 'We've already had six to seven weeks of this (restriction on activity), what's another week or two?'"

Governments around the world have varied widely in their response to the pandemic since its first known outbreak in the Chinese city of Wuhan in early December.

Authorities in New Zealand and Vietnam have been praised for early moves to halt the spread with social distancing measures while governments in the United States, UK, Japan, Russia and elsewhere have faced criticism for a lack of preparedness.

The Edelman survey found, however, that trust in the institution of government had risen across the board, with an overall gain of 11 points from its January survey to an all-time study high of 65%.

That figure reflected an appreciation of state support for the economy and the work of public health services. Conversely, only 29% agreed that CEOs and business leaders were doing an "outstanding job" meeting the demands of the moment.

"Business will be looked at very closely in the months ahead," Edelman said, citing how companies perform in areas such as retaining and reskilling workers or using small businesses in their supply chains.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-05

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Nice to see the majority of people value life.

I see the uni of washington and cdc have revised numbers and doubled their estimate of US deaths to about 130,000 by august.

To blame for this rise they cite relaxing social distancing amongst others. Generally apathy to the risks.

Apathy versus acceptance.

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

illustrates average intelligence

Yes of course. Then we will assume that you are right

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A substantial majority of people around the world want their governments to prioritise saving lives

and the majority are wrong. That illustrates a totally different kind of intelligence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

I see the uni of washington and cdc have revised numbers and doubled their estimate of US deaths to about 130,000 by august.

To blame for this rise they cite relaxing social distancing amongst others. Generally apathy to the risks.

Yes, the projections have been so awesome so far, let's continue believing them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Well, taking into account that:

- there are nearly 70,000 deaths in the US as of today,

- there were already 145,000 deaths in Europe as of May 5th,

It seems to make sense.

40 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes of course. Then we will assume that you are right

and the majority are wrong. That illustrates a totally different kind of intelligence.

That same "majority" will be crying the loudest when they realize how much their lives have been devastated and that government can't make them whole. I strongly suggest there are many in that group who have nothing anyway and thus have little to lose. The public is notorious for being wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"But people are saying, 'We've already had six to seven weeks of this (restriction on activity), what's another week or two?'"

This is the way governments drip-feed this upon us. How many times can that "just two more weeks" be extended before we have finally had enough?

• Like 1

The need to work has been replaced with government aid and increased unemployment benefits. At least in the US. The same happened during the previous adminstration and the financial crisis. I suspect similar is taking place in other countries. Reduce or stop the additional aid and repoll.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, GSFISM said:

The need to work has been replaced with government aid and increased unemployment benefits. At least in the US. The same happened during the previous adminstration and the financial crisis. I suspect similar is taking place in other countries. Reduce or stop the additional aid and repoll.

I have spoken directly with three people I know in the US who were forced from their jobs. All three said they hoped the lockdown lasted forever, because they are receiving more money from their unemployment benefits than they earned from their jobs. I would like to know the poll results if it included an equal number of people who were losing their home, business, or life savings.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 6:25 AM, johng said:

Amazing like turkeys voting for Christmas !

That's what I said about poor people voting for a New York rich real estate developer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Here's a new twist:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Could be that staying at home has weakened their bodies natural immune system that is generally strengthened by coming into contact with pathogens, viruses, bacteria, etc.

Well it could be.

Lots of things ‘could be’.

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

There are actually many people who realize their life sucked before the lockdown, and are enjoying the change. Talked to an old friend the other day who says he is having a blast working from home. Hopes they never restart the economy.  I don't know a single person who is saying "continue the lockdown" and is saying it because they care about lives. I do know a few retirees (who have guaranteed income) and love the lockdown because the traffic is so much better though.

On the other hand, those people who are against it have that conviction because their lives are genuinely being destroyed.  Both myself and my wife are out of work. We have zero income right now. My wife can't make money without the return of global international postal services. I can't make money until I am able to cross regional borders freely for day trips. I'm going to be forcibly separated from my family once my current EOS expires because I can't come up with the 400k this year.  Doesn't take a genius to imagine that when faced with my life being destroyed, I'm not going to be too happy about it, and don't think highly of the moral sewers who celebrate my suffering just so they can enjoy a walk with a few less cars on the street.

I have very little respect for those supporting this lockdown, because I know that saving lives is not on their selfish list of reasons for promoting this economic evisceration. All this opinion poll proves is slightly more than half are having more fun now did than they did working before. Has nothing to do with health, and is not a reason to continue to watch millions starve and suffer under this economic stupidity.

“I have very little respect for those supporting this lockdown, because I know that saving lives is not on their selfish list of reasons for promoting this economic evisceration.”

Do please tell us how you know this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“I have very little respect for those supporting this lockdown, because I know that saving lives is not on their selfish list of reasons for promoting this economic evisceration.”

Do please tell us how you know this?

He has a friend who told him. i wish I had a friend.:sad: 

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Here's a new twist:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Could be that staying at home has weakened their bodies natural immune system that is generally strengthened by coming into contact with pathogens, viruses, bacteria, etc.

Classic

4 hours ago, timendres said:

I have spoken directly with three people I know in the US who were forced from their jobs. All three said they hoped the lockdown lasted forever, because they are receiving more money from their unemployment benefits than they earned from their jobs. I would like to know the poll results if it included an equal number of people who were losing their home, business, or life savings.

Exactly....will be funny to see these same folks when the checks stop coming & they want to return to work but find their jobs no longer exist & Unemployment is tapped out.....as well as SS & any pensions that relied on a trashed Stock Market

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1