Kamala under ‘lockdown’ for protection

webfact

Kamala under ‘lockdown’ for protection

1588663965_1-org.jpg

Residents may leave Kamala and return, but only with written permission, while no other people will be allowed to enter the subdistrict until at least May 15. Photo: Kamala OrBorTor

PHUKET: Residents in Kamala woke this morning (May 5) unable to leave the subdistrict on Phuket’s west coast with checkpoints set up on the major roads leading into and out of the beachside town.

UPDATE: Seri Lapmak, Deputy Chief of the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), has clarified that the “preventative controls” brought into effect in Kamala today is not a “lockdown” – people may enter and leave the area freely, but no people are allowed to move into the area until May 15 and any persons wanting to move out of the area must obtain written permission first. 

Seri Lapmak, Deputy Chief of the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), told The Phuket News that residents in Kamala may leave the subdistrict and return, but no other people will be allowed to enter the subdistrict.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-under-lockdown-for-protection-75968.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-06

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No new cases but a lockdown for protection. Either they're lying about new cases or someone is on a power trip, both plausible imo.

I wonder if there is a connection to the protests at Bang Tao which may have resulted in the checkpoints there becoming "porous" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

I wonder if there is a connection to the protests at Bang Tao which may have resulted in the checkpoints there becoming "porous" ?

Possibly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

people may enter and leave the area freely,

3 hours ago, webfact said:

but no people are allowed to move into the area until May 15 and any persons wanting to move out of the area must obtain written permission first. 

What is the non-difference between those two statements?

Or it me bumping into my English language barrier.

Residents may leave Kamala and return, but only with written permission, while no other people will be allowed to enter the subdistrict until at least May 15.

this is NOT true

Kamala residents can freely leave, enter kamala..no paper or permission needed

NO NEW residents are allowed to Move to kamala.

and we still cant go to the beach  ;-(

This was a Bull Puckey story as was pointed out to them. They later issued a more up to date one- which is still partly Bull Puckey. Here's a link. https://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-controls-not-a-lockdown-tambon-deputy-chief-75973.php

No entry is allowed from the North due to the ongoing situation in Bang Tao. Also no one is allowed to move into Kamala until 15 May. People can leave Kamala and return without any problems via the southern route.

Only written notification needed for changing address within Kamala or moving out of Kamala.

Edited by Psimbo

6 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

This was a Bull Puckey story as was pointed out to them. They later issued a more up to date one- which is still partly Bull Puckey. Here's a link. https://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-controls-not-a-lockdown-tambon-deputy-chief-75973.php

No entry is allowed from the North due to the ongoing situation in Bang Tao. Also no one is allowed to move into Kamala until 15 May. People can leave Kamala and return without any problems via the southern route.

Only written notification needed for changing address within Kamala or moving out of Kamala.

So I can go to Kamala from the south for a hike in the hills there?

I just rode from Surin beach to Kamala. Stoped as usual on Northern side Kamala hill and asked; where you come from, where you go mai?

i said to buy food in Kamala the home to Surin.

no problem at all passing through.

i went to southern side Kamala to see if checkpoints blocking the way. None at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

So I can go to Kamala from the south for a hike in the hills there?

Yep, no probs. Or what you could do is park your bike or car at the White Box in Kalim, cross the road, go up the hill to the ridge road and follow it, which would bring you back at the south end of Kalim. If you know your way around up there well enough you could alternately go over from Kamala to Manik or Kathu Waterfall. All depends n how well you know the hills. I went from Kamala Waterfall to Naka Mast the other day on about a 9km route for the exercise.

Personally I think the title of the thread should be changed as its complete bolleaux, Just a straight cut and paste from the erroneous PN 'article'.

• Thanks 1

From what I saw, experienced with my own eyes today at about 11 a.m. TODAY this story is total BS. I live here (Surin beach, Phuket) and there is NO I repeat NO lockdown of Kamala, NO refusal to allow people in and out of Kamala from either the north or south with the exception of people from Bang Tao.

Went to Phuket town this morning via the southern route obvioulsy. All temporarly checkpoints between Kamala and town have now been cleared away.

Kalim was a bit perky on the way back with waves and sand on the road and they've restarted the construction work on the road north of Kalim. Be aware it is poorly marked and you may find vehicles headed straight for you (apologies if it was around 1130- I didn't notice the cone change????).