Solar Energy

Lingba

I can't make any recommendations as I don't live in the area, but I would advise reading one of the solar energy threads in the Electrical forum https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/191-the-electrical-forum/ 

One thing that does happen is that installers will over estimate (by a lot) just how much energy their system will generate.

Practical experience of myself and several other members is that one 300W panel will generate on average 1 unit (kWh) of electricity per day (4.5 Baht).

So two panels (easy DIY in an unshaded garden) at about 3500 Baht each + a 600W micro-inverter at about 3000 Baht (total 10,000 Baht) will generate 9 Baht of power per day = payback period of about 3 years.

Unfortunately, using an installer will easily multiply that be 3 or 4 times. Global House do a 1kW (3 panels) on-grid system, installed for 79,999!! At 3 units a day that's payback in 16 years

https://www.globalhouse.co.th/product/detail/9229052020101

Also note that "net metering" where the meter spins backwards if you are generating more power than you are using at the time is not permitted and a number of members have fallen foul of this rule and had no-reverse meters installed by PEA.

Have a look here, DIY may be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

Thank you all very much

If you do find a package that is worthwhile please post, when we built current house 7 years ago we built in a flat roof area for solar panels, so far found no "package" that is worth considering investing in, now with cheap oil going to become even less attractive as an option I believe?

57 minutes ago, CGW said:

If you do find a package that is worthwhile please post, when we built current house 7 years ago we built in a flat roof area for solar panels, so far found no "package" that is worth considering investing in, now with cheap oil going to become even less attractive as an option I believe?

Yes I will...I hear what you're saying about oil...but my thinking is you never know about oil as it can always go either way...plus after the initial costs of getting solar started up..I think its a good alternative to have in the long run

57 minutes ago, CGW said:

Why do you need a 'package'.

Just buy the parts and assemble yourself, so simple even I could do it.

11k = 2 units/day.

IMG_20200316_082041.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

Yes I will...I hear what you're saying about oil...but my thinking is you never know about oil as it can always go either way...plus after the initial costs of getting solar started up..I think its a good alternative to have in the long run

I agree with what you are saying, but never found a worthwhile "package", i have room for about thirty panels so have the potential to fit quite a large system, but as we use quite a bit of power, would still be a net user, but the numbers don't add up, nor have I found as stated someone with the knowledge and product, at the right price to incorporate.