NETFLIX - some How To questions

Peter Denis

HI, I am interested in giving Netflix a try, but have 3 questions:

1 - I live 'in the sticks' and don't have cable, but use the dTac unlimited data package I have on my Smartphone, and use that as USB-hub to surf the Internet.  On most sites I can watch streaming movies and YouTube videos without any buffering, but not sure whether that would be sufficient to stream NetFlix movies/shows.  

Note: If it is possible to download them, I could of course do that and watch them off-line later.

2 - I did bring the Philips smart TV I bought in Europe some 7 years ago, when I moved to Thailand.  Would it be possible for me - using my smartphone as USB Hub - to connect with the TV as I do with my laptop?  Or would I need a 'Fire-stick' as some posters in other threads recommend?

Note: I am no techie, so I don't know what I am talking about...

3 - When connected to the Internet on my laptop, I have the option to make use of my company's Cisco VPN network, which allows me to log-in on the VPN of almost any country in the world.

When connecting via my VPN would I be able to access the US, British, French, etc netFlix content by simply connecting my VPN to Atlanta, London, Paris, etc.?

>>> Thanks for response!

Hi Peter, 

I'm also not very tech savy, but I would go crazy without UK tv. 

Is your TV able to connect to your WiFi? 

If so, then maybe you don't need a USB connection. 

As for Netflix, I don't use it, but I'm sure that by using a vpn, you will be able to view the content from your desired country, and as for the quality of the Netflix stream, 

I would say its better than streaming websites, and probably the same quality as youtube. 

With regards to you connecting to your TV, you can buy an android tv box from lazada for between 500 and 1500 baht, and can stream Netflix and YouTube on your TV via a hdmi lead using a remote control. There's also a lot of other stuff you can watch, and the cheaper ones work fine. 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Thanks 1

If you're onan unlimited data package, I'd give Netflix a try.  You can sign up and, if it's not for you, cancel.  I'm not sure of the technical details, buyback in the day of me having slow internet, I couldn't watch YouTube without constant buffering, but I could watch Netflix.  Not all Netflix shows can be downloaded, but you have a wide variety of shows to pick from

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all responses so far.

So it looks like buying the Android box would be first step, and then try out Netflix on it.

Any suggestions which Android box would be the best buy, or are they all the same?

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for all responses so far.

So it looks like buying the Android box would be first step, and then try out Netflix on it.

Any suggestions which Android box would be the best buy, or are they all the same?

Netflix whitelists device now, so on the average box available online, you can not install Netflix unless you have a modded version.

The MI box S is one of the few that have Netflix certification, but they have no network port, so you will have to use wifi

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbo chilli said:

No, you dont need an android box if your tv is SMART.

Smart and recent.

Our 2013 Samsung does Netflix OK but not with Thai subtitles and although I can load a version of Netflix that will show them, the TV insists on doing an update every time it starts which resets it.  My old Android box runs Netflix correctly.

• Thanks 1

I use my kids Netflix account.

We use True WiFi.

Kids watch Netflix via their Xbox so they tell me.

I have a True Android box...wife tells me it was cheap.

I watch Netflix on tv via the Android box.

I watch Netflix on my Samsung phone via the Netflix app.

I could cast the Netflix on my phone on to my tv if I wanted instead.

When watching Netflix, if you stop and start again the next day it restarts the movie or show where it had stopped which is a useful feature so I'm not sure why you would download (didn't even know that was possible).

Netflix is great for American shows not so much UK but I usually find something to watch.

• Thanks 1

Hi Peter,

You don't need an "Android Box". If you have a phone or tablet that is more than enough. Tablet is better.

What you will need is an Express VPN subscription.

I'm assuming you're from the UK. If that is the case you should have BBCiplayer on your phone already, if not you can download it on the web. You can also just go on their website, works the same. Ditto for Channel 4 and ITV. You sign up with a UK address.

Another good site is Flixtor, initially free, but will ask for subscription for some content.

For K-TV Kissasian is the go-to site.

All these options are easily viewed on tablet or phone with Express VPN and then streamed to a smart tv if it is built in wifi - instructions on the web. No cables necessary if the TV has wifi built in. 

Netflix is still worth it because it is convenient and reliable, even if it does not have all the US content, like HBO (that's on Flixtor and there are other Android apps that let you watch it for free). You can download episodes. 

If you prefer US content or UK Netflix content rather than Thai content the VPN will enable to watch it. With one UK account you can watch US, German, Thai any content with the VPN.

• Thanks 1

1. Run a speed test of your internet connection. Many locations dont have fast enough internet speed! Can download  internet speed test  on google play store. 

https://www.speedtest.net

You need steady 4-5Mbps or more on the speedtest to avoid buffering.

Yes you can download from Netflix and watch later. 

2. On google play store download screen mirroring app. Some work, some doesn't. These apps can mirror your phone screen to your TV, depend of tv model. 

Your tv has built in Netflix or not?

3. Only few vpn work with Netflix, search online what vpn work with Netflix.

You don't have to buy android tv box IF you have a SMART TV?

If your TV doesn't have Netflix, you try screen mirroring from phone to tv. If this fail, a quality Usb cable from your mobile phone to HDMI on your TV can might work. First if all these fails, you invest in a TV stick or Android TV box, then you know your TV isn't a smart TV.

If you not a techie, ask the local sat dish shop to assist you.

20200506_101116.jpg

20200506_101057.jpg

20200506_100617.jpg

20200506_100631.jpg

20200506_102809.jpg

20200506_103400.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OnTheGround said:

1. Run a speed test of your internet connection. Many locations dont have fast enough internet speed! Can download  internet speed test  on google play store. 

https://www.speedtest.net

You need steady 4-5Mbps or more on the speedtest to avoid buffering.

Yes you can download from Netflix and watch later. 

With Netflix you won't avoid buffering, the pink ring of buffering is notorious with Netflix, I have super fast internet and because it goes through the VPN there is still buffering sometimes.

The way to avoid is indeed to download the episode which Netflix does very well.

• Like 1

I stream US Netflix, US, UK and Aus TV thru my laptop to my TV using a HDMI cable. I've been using the same Proxy for over 2-1/2 years and have never had buffering issues streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime or VUDU. Most buffering I have experienced is due to technical reasons at the source and not my internet speed. 

• Thanks 1

Keep it simple.

My TV has the Netflix app and a Netflix button on the remote. Sweet.

Without that, a HDMI cable from device to TV would suffice.

In my experience, I get full quality unless my speed drops to below 2mb.

My internet is via unlimited SIM, and shared (mobile hotspot) from my phone to my TV.

Cost. 200 baht per month. No need for expensive connections.

No VPN used on the TV, even though I have one. It will slow down the speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

The first 30 days with Netflix are free with no obligation to continue the subscription, so just give it a try and see how it works for you. Your smart TV SHOULD be able to run Netflix directly, but there may be issues if it's older. I've never had any issues with buffering (well, once in a blue moon, for a minute or two) - Netflix has fast local servers and good compression. As others have mentioned, your phone hotspot should have adequate bandwidth for this unless you're REALLY in the jungle somewhere.

Some people have suggested using a cable from your phone to the HDMI port on your TV. That should work well if your phone is compatible, but not all of them are - my phone is a couple of years old and lacks some needed feature, so I can't do it. You definitely CAN run an HDMI cable from your laptop to the TV, and watch from the Netflix website - I've done it, and it works just fine. Using a Chromecast device to cast Netflix from your phone to the TV also works well, but will NOT work if you're on a VPN.

You can download most, but not all, programs to watch later on the same device (screen mirroring to a different device might also work).

Netflix makes an effort to block VPNs and proxies in order to prevent you from seeing content from a different region, but you can usually get around that if your VPN provider has lots of different servers and switches IP addresses frequently. I occasionally get a message saying something to the effect of "hey, you're using a proxy, try again without it", and then I'll switch the VPN to a different server and manage to see what I want. Do note, though, that if you download (for example) a US-only program using a VPN, you'll also have to be on the VPN in order to watch it, otherwise the app will sense the change and your downloaded content will be blocked from viewing.

That having been said, there are fewer and fewer Netflix programs these days that are specific to a country or region. The ones produced by Netflix, which now constitute the bulk of the most talked-about content, are usually available worldwide. In fact, it's more common for me to see content on Thai Netflix that isn't available in the US, because its already contracted to a different provider over there. Most of the stuff that we can't see on Thai Netflix is old programming from other producers that they bought only some rights to.

A helpful post thanks. I’ve got a proper user access on my daughters uk account and intend to use it when back in thailand- which I guess I’ll need the Nord vpn i currently have to do? I tested it already works ok. Wondered about chromecasting as I also cannot get that aspect to function on iplayer or other uk but as with iplayer I guess I’ll have to use the HDMI lead from my iPad - my tv is older ,not smart which is rather less convenient but glad to hear Netflix supports that type of screen mirroring option ? which other uk tv terrestrial channels don’t. I presume without a vpn Netflix won’t let me watch in thailand on a uk account,because that would otherwise solve chromecast issue. I don’t think you can chromecast downloads either? Grateful for any experience tips on these matters..

3 hours ago, orientfan said:

Can I jump into this interesting thread? I'm not tech-savvy but have a good Internet connection (in Bangkok) and smart TV. What's the best/easiest way to get British TV? Thanks a lot for helping this novice!

The best way to get UK TV or any TV is the FREE Internet. There are sites just dedicated to letting you download what was on the TV last night--UK or anywhere..including the news & weather, if you want it.

It just does my head in when I see people asking if they can send money to Netflix or other places, I just downloaded the whole of the very latest Netflix  TV Series HOLLYWOOD.  which came out 2 days ago.

With (what I have seen) Boxs & accessing UK TV with VPNs you have to watch it in real time--- why not just download it the next morning.

You Know I can not put the addresses down here. But there very easy to find---

They have a great thread on here recommending what TV / Movie etc is good lots of people on there and I doubt if anyone there is running around sending money to Netflix or any other company.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Thanks 1

i have netflix be in 3 year now, working well my homecountry, and now at new home thailand, first not working good but i change internet operator and buy 3BB fasten internet what have, change operator 2 time not help 3BB has only good and less speed first but 3 time i take speed up update, and now have fiberglass cable free installed last month.not have copper wire now, i not know how much cost my thai wife pay bill. but i test just 13mbs download and 83mbs upload has yesteday test whit vpn on. i not tested if vpn off. i use vpn freedom alltime on. now if i have vpn and home country place, i can looking movies my home country own language, whitout vpn language have thai and maybe some movie english too. but working well if operator have good and speed ower 4mbs. less speed movies lag lot before. and if need own language text need be vpn. can change local place own country. but newermind cheap less than 8$/month and my vpn+virus software freedom. 49$/year. cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

I used to have it but eventually ran out of stuff to watch,

I think that line says it all for me Will27

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Edit* I also subscribe to a streaming TV service to watch Aussie football.

You can't beat watching sport live.

I think it is live -when you don't know the result,

Most UK matches are Played at  GMT 3-4pm KO....so finish at (Thai Time) Midnight--1 am. This is to late for me now. I get up about 6-7 am put on down load the full matches I want to watch--then maybe MOTD (match of the day) to catch up with the others...go shower make coffee ...and its ready to watch, I don't know the results. Then download the Boxing or (&) UFC. ..........a weekend of sport

Yes Oz Football is the exception--3 -4 hours ahead of us so that would be an advantage, also being the only place in the world where its played --Limited audience-- Limited appeal (after nearly 30 years there I still didn't really get into it)   so more difficult to access .

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

They want to be able to scroll through Netflix, see something they like and watch it straight away.

On 90% of the sites I have never waited more than 15 minutes to download a movie or the first 2 episodes of a series (I know most people take the whole lot--my habit just to watch the first 2 then decide on taking the rest)

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

To me, the biggest advantage of Netflix is getting foreign shows with perfect subtitles.

Sometimes these are hard to find when looking for downloads.

And if the subtitles aren't hard coded, you have to watch them via VLC and add them.

Then copy the Netflix release---like Hollywood, The Irishman....etc --no one else is putting it out there.

The VLC is hardly a difficult operation Will27... you just throw it onto the screen, it immediately activates.

Anyway, you have probably been downloading longer than me...... you certainly find the UK programs quicker than I do, beginning to rely on you instead of looking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I think that line says it all for me Will27

The thing is, you're never going to get all of the shows on one streaming service.

I'm not saying they're for everyone all of the time, but they have their uses.

For 70 Baht a week, Netflix is good value.

I think it is live -when you don't know the result,

Most UK matches are Played at  GMT 3-4pm KO....so finish at (Thai Time) Midnight--1 am. This is to late for me now. I get up about 6-7 am put on down load the full matches I want to watch--then maybe MOTD (match of the day) to catch up with the others...go shower make coffee ...and its ready to watch, I don't know the results. Then download the Boxing or (&) UFC. ..........a weekend of sport

The only sport that I download and then watch is UFC.

That's because you can pretty much watch a show in an hour compared to 3.5 hours when they include promotional stuff etc.

It's pretty hard to download and watch cricket, especially test match cricket when it goes for so long.

Yes Oz Football is the exception--3 -4 hours ahead of us so that would be an advantage, also being the only place in the world where its played --Limited audience-- Limited appeal (after nearly 30 years there I still didn't really get into it)   so more difficult to access .

I could download the games 3 hours after they're played.

But I like to watch several games in one day and also speak to mates from Oz who are watching it live.

You cannot do that when you watch them after they've played.

I pay about 5000 Baht per year and for that  get all of the games live or on replay, plus football shows live.

For me, that is good value.

On 90% of the sites I have never waited more than 15 minutes to download a movie or the first 2 episodes of a series (I know most people take the whole lot--my habit just to watch the first 2 then decide on taking the rest)

Then copy the Netflix release---like Hollywood, The Irishman....etc --no one else is putting it out there.

The VLC is hardly a difficult operation Will27... you just throw it onto the screen, it immediately activates.

The thing about having Netflix, is ease of use.

My wife doesn't watch much TV and thereis no way she would be able to download anything.

As I said, some people aren't after something specific, they just want to log on and see if anything takes their fancy.

Like the guy in our village who watches everything with his Thai wife, can just push the button and they're away.

No need for downloads or searching for Thai subtitles.

Anyway, you have probably been downloading longer than me...... you certainly find the UK programs quicker than I do, beginning to rely on you instead of looking.

You and I seem to search for stuff we're interested in.

Some people just want to browse like they would with pay TV in their own country.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Wondered about chromecasting as I also cannot get that aspect to function on iplayer or other uk

This is a limitation of Chromecast, not of any particular streaming service - Chromecast simply won't work if you're trying to cast from a device that's connected to a VPN. 

15 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I presume without a vpn Netflix won’t let me watch in thailand on a uk account,because that would otherwise solve chromecast issue.

No matter whether you have a UK, US, or Thai account, you can still access Netflix anywhere, but you will get the local content. So, there's no problem using a UK Netflix account in Thailand, but you'll be seeing Netflix Thailand unless you use a VPN.

13 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

It just does my head in when I see people asking if they can send money to Netflix or other places, I just downloaded the whole of the very latest Netflix  TV Series HOLLYWOOD.  which came out 2 days ago.

It's true, you can download anything, and I use that option when there's something I want to see and it's not otherwise available. With Netflix, though, the price is cheap enough, and there's enough content that I'm interested in, that I don't mind paying for the convenience of being able to watch things instantly, anywhere, on any device, without going through the hassle of downloading (and possibly searching for subtitles). If the price was high, I would probably do exactly as you're doing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

This is a limitation of Chromecast, not of any particular streaming service - Chromecast simply won't work if you're trying to cast from a device that's connected to a VPN. 

No matter whether you have a UK, US, or Thai account, you can still access Netflix anywhere, but you will get the local content. So, there's no problem using a UK Netflix account in Thailand, but you'll be seeing Netflix Thailand unless you use a VPN.

It's true, you can download anything, and I use that option when there's something I want to see and it's not otherwise available. With Netflix, though, the price is cheap enough, and there's enough content that I'm interested in, that I don't mind paying for the convenience of being able to watch things instantly, anywhere, on any device, without going through the hassle of downloading (and possibly searching for subtitles). If the price was high, I would probably do exactly as you're doing.

Thank you for that helpful reply. Regarding chromecast it does in fact work in terms of what’s being cast to the TV screen even when connected via a vpn ,right up until displaying the programme selected . It’s only when pressing play that you get the message normally associated with the provider blocking you when it detects you’re trying to watch from abroad. I was told it had something to do with when you chromecast the signal goes back through your router thus removing the disguise of the vpn. This happens on uk terrestrial channels and Now tv which specifically say you can’t view abroad,so hence my question whether it would work with Netflix which doesn’t have that condition. It appears from this it isn’t a technical issue related to chromecast device limitations,but rather a rights issue from the provider.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You could try connecting your smartphone to your TV, but a Fire Stick might be easier for a smoother experience.

Your setup sounds pretty solid. If you can stream other sites without buffering, Netflix should work, too. Plus, downloading shows for offline watching is a game-changer when you're out in the sticks.

It's like a plug-and-play solution. Also, there's an article about prince harry's net; you could check it out, too. Good luck!