School's out... forever?

7 minutes ago, flinc2020 said:

According to something from OBEC the new school year will be:

Term 1 - July 1st to November 30th

Term 2 - December 1st to April 30th 2021

Next school year commencing 15th May 2021

Any schools wanting a break between first and second terms can make up the days by opening for classes at weekends and during national holidays.

No official confirmation of the above as yet but it looks like it's going to be a long stretch for teachers. 11 months with only minimal breaks for national holidays in between (bear in mind Songkran still hasn't been given a date yet so a few days off then one supposes.)

Complete madness!

Two school years back to back with almost no holidays!

The students level was already low, expect it to crater.

I will set up regular holidays for my son, never mind what his school will do...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Way over cautious....easily could have started June 1st especially for P1-12...

you can’t make up 2 months in the month of October....

Teaching would extend into March, which normally does not happen in Thai schools. 

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Complete madness!

Two school years back to back with almost no holidays!

The students level was already low, expect it to crater.

I will set up regular holidays for my son, never mind what his school will do...

Some schools may set up their own systems. Teachers at my school are due back next week. What we are expected to do for the next 6 weeks until kids are back is up in the air. If we are expected to teach online for 6 weeks you can bet I will not be teaching any extended weeks according to the MoE schdeule posted in this thread. Teachers should be paid the full 12 months regardless of what happens (assuming that is what their contract states). 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:49 AM, Brunolem said:

Since some TV members are also teachers in the Land of Smiles, maybe they will be able to shed some light on the consequences of the government's decision to postpone back-to-school until July, at the earliest.

The return date was set at July at a very early point. Nothing has changed.

My son's private school, not international, starts online classes which are at no cost and not compulsory on May 11.  They will run until June 20 then regular classes are scheduled to begin on the first of July.  We have been told that the academic year will be adjusted to compensate for the late start - October break eliminated and probably ending the year in late March as opposed to early March.  Most parents are not in favor of the online classes, but the school is offering them to give students something to do.  Since they are at no charge my son, M3, will participate.  I appreciate the fact that his school is trying to do what they can.  The school has asked parents to try and pay 50% of the tuition and book fees if possible so that they can keep all staff and faculty employed.  I am more than willing to do that.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Teaching would extend into March, which normally does not happen in Thai schools. 

One of the reasons it does not happen is that public schools are not equipped to deal with temperatures in the high 30s, which makes staying in a concrete room for hours unbearable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flinc2020 said:

According to something from OBEC the new school year will be:

Term 1 - July 1st to November 30th

Term 2 - December 1st to April 30th 2021

Next school year commencing 15th May 2021

Any schools wanting a break between first and second terms can make up the days by opening for classes at weekends and during national holidays.

No official confirmation of the above as yet but it looks like it's going to be a long stretch for teachers. 11 months with only minimal breaks for national holidays in between (bear in mind Songkran still hasn't been given a date yet so a few days off then one supposes.)

Are you sure you don't mean Term 2 ending March 30th 2021?

If correct, those dates make it a longer term than normal

The 1st July start date is only 6-weeks later than most students normally start - add March 2021 (4 weeks) and remove October holiday (2+ weeks) and you've already caught up on the lost time

I'm sure there's a sports or science week that can be scrapped if needed, to give break in between

7 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

That's unfortunate.

It should be changed right now for June 1st

The covid 19 situation in Thailand doesn't justify another (almost) 2 months of waiting for schools to reopen.

Many countries that are not known for taking risks with the lives of their young citizens are already reopening their schools, despite a covid 19 situation worse than the one of Thailand.

these exact month extensions/delays are perhaps the most infuriating part of covid here in Thailand I find

restrictions should be at least set by the week, or whichever date is ready, but I guess xxxx 1st/ xxxx 31st has a better ring to it

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, Brunolem said:

So one full year without holidays...only in Thailand...

I'm taking my kids for a holiday, regardless. Thai schools are a waste of time anyway, 3/4 weeks holiday in UK won't affect them. I need to use a voucher I got from British Airways.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

That's unfortunate.

The covid 19 situation in Thailand doesn't justify another (almost) 2 months of waiting for schools to reopen.

Many countries that are not known for taking risks with the lives of their young citizens are already reopening their schools, despite a covid 19 situation worse than the one of Thailand.

They can't lose face by reversing a decision.

• Like 1

My (private) school's schedule:

Optional online lessons from May 18 to end of June.  We wanted to start real lessons, but about 1/3 of the parents could or would not go along with this.

Term 1 starts on July 1 to the end of November with no break in October.

Term 2 starts on December 1 and ends in April on the friday before Songran.  We will have a one - three week break (depending on whether we do the optional summer camp or not) and then back to school for planning.  Students will arrive on May 17.

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm taking my kids for a holiday, regardless. Thai schools are a waste of time anyway, 3/4 weeks holiday in UK won't affect them. I need to use a voucher I got from British Airways.

I do the same...one week here, one week there...doesn't change anything for the school anyway considering how slowly they move forward...

There is a huge amount of wasted time at most Thai schools.  Scouting and clubs are classes, not afterschool activities, Thai dance is mandatory, not an elective subject, as are art and music.  There are extracurricular activities almost every week.  I would say that there are at least two weeks worth of classes lost to extracurricular activities every term.

If the schools could cut some of the nonsense classes and non-academic time-wasters, they could easily teach the necessary academic content and still have a two week break between terms and finish by the 1st of April.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, otherstuff1957 said:

There is a huge amount of wasted time at most Thai schools.  Scouting and clubs are classes, not afterschool activities, Thai dance is mandatory, not an elective subject, as are art and music.  There are extracurricular activities almost every week.  I would say that there are at least two weeks worth of classes lost to extracurricular activities every term.

If the schools could cut some of the nonsense classes and non-academic time-wasters, they could easily teach the necessary academic content and still have a two week break between terms and finish by the 1st of April.

Not to mention the interschool sports weeks, with 20% of the children participating, while all the others just wait, playing with their mobile phones.

I haven't heard about school holidays being cancelled or shortened in other countries...

54 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

That's unfortunate.

Although I agree with unlocking schools now, you are labouring under a serious misapprehension. It has never been about risking the lives of our children (childrern have a very low mortality rate for Covid-19) its all about protecting parents and grandparents when they return to the family home with Covid-19. Children are the worst superspreaders.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"1 full year without holidays"?

Please explain what you mean.

I mean that the only break in the school year is the 2 weeks holidays the children get in October.

So, if they cancel this break, they go from July to March, or even April next year without holidays...never seen anything like that anywhere...

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Although I agree with unlocking schools now, you are labouring under a serious misapprehension. It has never been about risking the lives of our children (childrern have a very low mortality rate for Covid-19) its all about protecting parents and grandparents when they return to the family home with Covid-19. Children are the worst superspreaders.

True, but also true for the other countries which are reopening their schools despite the risk.

One can imagine that children could be tested once a week, at school, until the authorities would be sure that the pandemic is under control...which I think it is within Thailand.

By far the highest risk is not to reopen the schools, the shopping centers, the beaches, or even the bars...it is to reopen the borders!

Hands up who thinks effective online teaching will happen in June for rural Thai government schools? Ha, ha, ha.

Watch some of the blooper reels on YouTube from teachers in western countries trying online teaching. I don't think anyone takes it very seriously, least of all the students.

5 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Hands up who thinks effective online teaching will happen in June for rural Thai government schools? Ha, ha, ha.

Watch some of the blooper reels on YouTube from teachers in western countries trying online teaching. I don't think anyone takes it very seriously, least of all the students.

i'm not sure why online teaching is necessary now that they've extended the term and removed the october holiday, it essentially means the weeks missed can now be caught up on

I am currently teaching online here in N. Ireland (whilst freaking out that I may not get to start in Thailand in Aug!)

SO...we had minimal training in the use of Google Classroom etc but hey it's a pandemic and we can learn on the go.

No live action teaching from my school as there are all sorts of Security and child protection issues apparently.

I teach secondary science......there will be no practical work (Duh)

Student engagement has been patchy especially with the GCSE pupils who know they will be awarded an estimated grade.

KS3 pupils are engaging but there are serious issues:

Many have no computer/laptop/tablet at home.

Some have no broadband.

Many are accessing the work via android phones.

Google docs re formats any word document uploaded with the result that it becomes unreadable to the pupils.

Like I say...a steep learning curve with limited success.  It has also highlighted the absolutely abysmal ICT provision to date from that particular department in my school.  I'd have thought that each pupil being allocated a school email address would have been paramount at the start of the year!

I can only hope that LOS opens enough for me to get out there later in the summer and that I can take up my post....if not I'm unemployed here for a year lol.

Joy abounding!

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

True, but also true for the other countries which are reopening their schools despite the risk.

One can imagine that children could be tested once a week, at school, until the authorities would be sure that the pandemic is under control...which I think it is within Thailand.

By far the highest risk is not to reopen the schools, the shopping centers, the beaches, or even the bars...it is to reopen the borders!

I'm with you on that.

Pattaya has now had no new cases for almost a month now and the last patient has now been released from hospital, so no deaths on the horizon. I have supported every action the government has taken to combat Covid. As someone with pre existing conditions I have been self isolating for a month now. 

But now it's over, finito, time to get back to normal. Unless they relax the borders, which they have done a great job with, where are new infections going to come from? Apart from Yala Thailand is Covid free. There is an argument for locking down Yala and Phuket for a while longer but see no logic of having any restrictions imposed on the rest of Thailand.

My pool reopened a couple of days ago, some restaurants have reopened but my 2 go to restaurants refuse to reopen until such time that they can sell alcohol again.

Get rid of all restrictions on restaurants, wait a couple of weeks and then reopen bars. Wait a couple more weeks then reopen gogos and cinemas. You know it makes sense.

Edited by Phil McCaverty

6 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

My (private) school's schedule:

Optional online lessons from May 18 to end of June.  We wanted to start real lessons, but about 1/3 of the parents could or would not go along with this.

Term 1 starts on July 1 to the end of November with no break in October.

Term 2 starts on December 1 and ends in April on the friday before Songran.  We will have a one - three week break (depending on whether we do the optional summer camp or not) and then back to school for planning.  Students will arrive on May 17.

So basically the students get NO holiday for a full academic year. That's nuts. And is it optional that teachers perform online teaching?...As that would extend teachign hours well beyond what a teacher would do in a normal school year. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, Brunolem said:

Then Thailand is already one of the countries with the least school holidays...compare their couple of weeks in October with Westerners enjoying 2 weeks holidays on average every 2 months or so...with far better results...

I don't think so. Thai students cannot fail. If they score less that the pass rate, their score is either bumped up or they resit the test and pass that. Either way the student passes. Student happy, school happy, parents happy. Win-win-win ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Exactly!

By the time schools, teachers and students would be ready to go online, it would be already past July.

They cannot implement a national online teaching system in a matter of days...most schools were supposed to open by mid May, ten days from now.

The hardware is not there, the know how is not there and most probably the money is not there.

I disagree. Most students and teachers have Facebook, Line and other social media apps. Not difficult to set up video chat.

Baring in mind most teachers write their own lesson plans and test papers, there would be no need for a national online system.

40 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I disagree. Most students and teachers have Facebook, Line and other social media apps. Not difficult to set up video chat.

Baring in mind most teachers write their own lesson plans and test papers, there would be no need for a national online system.

Actually the basic curriculum is common to the whole country. Take a look at BBC Bitesize - it only takes a small team with a camera to produce a one hour presentation which could be 1. Broadcast on TV and 2. Made available online via facebook/lbry/youtube.

Also take a look at Khan Academy - this gives clear ideas about ways to put lesson plans into action online - it takes not much longer than to actually plan and teach a lesson in a classroom, but it provides material that is permanently available.

However, if you actually look at the rather pathetic effort they did make to put 'school TV' online, it's worse than the worst Thai TV you ever saw... The fact is that these people are just incapable of educating children even when schools are open.