Driving in Thailand: No need to renew expired licenses until further notice

webfact

Driving in Thailand: No need to renew expired licenses until further notice

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief of Thailand's Department of Land Transport announced that driving licence issuance and renewal would be suspended until the emergency regulations related to the coronavirus pandemic are lifted. 

The notice applies nationwide and comes after some people were travelling to neighboring provinces to renew their licenses perhaps risking the spread of the virus. 

Jirut Wisanjit said that all licenses that have expired since January 2nd this year remain valid.

The Royal Thai Police have been contacted and will not fine anyone with an out of date licence. Insurance policies remain valid despite licences being out of date. 

People should check their policies.

The move by the DLT is an extension to previously announced measures and will end when the emergency decree ends or when another announcement is made.

They have been introduced in an attempt to stop the spread of the virus at DLT offices. 

People who have notified the DLT about their intention to renew and extend will have their queue number respected when the decree is lifted. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-06

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Well it is a thing you must have IF you run over and kill a Thai person. Without a current licence your first class falang car insurance may not be valid. 

As a foreigner I never take this easy.

A Thai running over a hool on two wheels might get away with 50k for the funeral.

I won't.

2 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

What about vehicle license plates???????

Can't say for sure but tax payment is possible and so I guess vehicle registration too.

The offices are not closed and do the "over the counter" services (probably with "shields" at the counter and of course all the usual hygiene and test procedures for clients as usual).

The license issues are suspended as it is nearly impossible to ensure "social distancing" in the cramped classrooms.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police have been contacted and will not fine anyone with an out of date licence. Insurance policies remain valid despite licences being out of date. 

Then....People should check their policies,

Have an accident, then try to explain to insurance company,Jirut Wisanjit

said It does not matter that the license has expired 4 months ago,I think

the first response would be ....who is he.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

This is fantastic news, many thanks Buddha.......reassuring to know the Royal Thai Police should not fine me with an out of date driving licence, i wonder if they have been told that & what about out of date tax???

• Haha 1

Mine expires this year as well, so this is welcome news. DLT is doing it right. Just have a sensible plan for re-opening, such as staggering when it will eventually be needed to be renewed. Or be brave and renew simply by using the old photo and no tests, send by EMS.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The notice applies nationwide and comes after some people were travelling to neighboring provinces to renew their licenses perhaps risking the spread of the virus.

So why not allow any provincial office to renew a licence?

Are the not networked to a national data-base?

21 hours ago, KeeTua said:

"Insurance policies remain valid despite licences being out of date."

Be sure to print this article out to show to your insurance company in case you try to make a claim for an accident while driving on an expired (invalid) license. And good luck with that.

good point......

21 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

What about vehicle license plates???????

I just did mine 2 days ago, insurance and road tax.

More than 100 people ahead of me. All done in less than one hour.

Rows of 3 seats, with the middle one taped as non useable, social distancing commanding..

So fewer seats, and when all taken, people had to wait outside for seats to become available inside.

Otherwise, business as usual...

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

tax is a different kettle of fish.....the write up is only regarding LICENCES......

If you checked who and what I replied to it was regarding his Road Tax so no, it is not "only regarding LICENCES" ????